MD non-trad 1st timer: cgpa 3.45 sgpa 3.74 mcat 32 IL resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W7o13kEkkO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
limit yourself to 3 or 4 reach schools out of a list of 25 schools. Schools like Baylor, Vandy, Mayo, UPitt, USC, Emory, NYU, Cornell, Dartmouth, UChi, NW and Drew are your reaches and that's too many IMO. Brown may be a reach too based on the lack of spaces available to AMCAS applicants, but stats wise isn't too far off. UT San Antonio is heavily IS biased (~90% in-state), but if your connections are strong then maybe they'll consider you. Keep UTSA.

I'd take off the reach schools I listed, or keep 2 or 3 of them if you really want to take a chance. Add one or two SUNY schools, Jefferson, Vermont, Creighton, VCU, EVMS, Albany UToledo and a public OOS with >25% OOS matriculants for which your are at or above their mcat average.

Consider Loma Linda too if you are a seventh-day adventist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs seem week, and the religious volunteering won't count for much. Overseas missions aren't regarded highly as well, unloess you can document a lot of medcial care, and get a LOR form your preceptors.

Your numbers are at the floor for these schools, and they'll appreciate the donation in the form of your app fees. For U Chicago, on of the top med schools int he country, your numbers are below the 10th %ile.

Goro suggest:

University of Illinois College
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola - Stritch
Rush
jefferson,
creighton,
vcu,
albany,
evms
New York Medical College
Tufts
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Miami
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Hofstra
Netter
Penn State
Wake Forest
All other new MD schools

ANY DO school (CCOM is in your back yard)

I'm not a fan of reach unless one's numbers are close tot he median scores for schools. You're within striking distance for Dartmouth or Emory.

Google "New MD schools"

Thanks for the input @Goro and @Catalystik .

removed UChicago, does Goro suggest that I apply to any "reach" schools? Could you specify all new md schools? (Central Michigan, western michigan, oakland university, VTech, Florida Atlantic, Rowan, etc?)

considering adding midwestern (DO)

There's a difference between "close to median scores" and "within 10th-90th %ile." I think in this game, it's important to be realistic.

I must say that kind of defeats the purpose of "Reach" if you're already within the median range - but I'm sure you have your reasons. Yes, I am very close to the 10% for my MCAT and GPA. I thought that my recent GPA would account for more than my undergrad GPA.

Reactions: 1 users