non trad 2.4cgpa 3.5 m.s. 4.0 post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasEngineer08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will keep this pretty short!

I started out with environmental science b.s. degree with low low gpa. I struggled being an illegal immigrant and had really tough time just making enough money to even attend school. I was definitely hopeless and was scared not knowing when i would be deported. When my status changed, I got into an engineering masters (civil/environmental engineering) program(ABET) (passing EIT exam and 170 math/163v on gre helped along with strong recommendation) and worked full time as environmental engineer and TA at school while finishing my masters a semester early (thesis option). After my masters I took a hefty loan and did my post bac trying to get all my pre reqs and finished 60 hours with 4.0 gpa.

MCAT score is 35(10v/13ps/12b)

What are my chances on MD school as I am Texas resident? I am considering out of state but hoping for higher tier schools within texas. Do I really have a shot at any MD due to my low low gpa from undergraduate degree? Am I considered non traditional?

P.S. I am asian if that really matters

Thanks in advance for any advices.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any ECs and volunteer hours?

I think your scores for prerequisites and MCAT are decent. If you have good ECs and volunteer hours, I think you have a chance. From my research, a strong personal statement is crucial to get an interview spot. I can relate to your experience to some extent, and I include some explanation (what happened and how I overcame the situation) in my personal statement.

Good luck to both of us. I'm shooting for medical schools in Texas as well.