NON TRAD, 2.7 GPA, BA Degree in Chemistry, Trying for DO or MD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sso_blasted87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 2.7 GPA from 4 year school which I did horrible and tried to retake majority of science classes but ended up with Cs. Before, I was in a community college and did horrible but retook majority of classes and got 3.2 GPA. I have 2.9 GPA just calculating the prereq for med school from both CC and university which was done by using a random online calculator.

I am done with my degree in chemistry BA this August 2014. I am going to take MCAT in Oct 25, 2014 and study the 3 months prior. Depending on how I do, I will continue to try and pursue career in medicine as either DO or MD. I have considered caribbean medical schools but thats a last resort. As mentioned if I perform well on the MCATs this Oct. I will continue by pursuit.

Is my approach severely flawed? Should I try another approach to my future? Should I cancel my MCAT exam? Is there anyway to salvage anything?

Also, I havent done any clinical volunteering. I am trying to set up clinical volunteering as I am writing this. but so far I am being put on waiting lists.

I have read stories on this forum about non trad students who were able to turn around their bad grades by doing DIY post bacc. If I go down this route should I just retake the prereq? retake the advanced courses? Retake both?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have 2.7 GPA from 4 year school which I did horrible and tried to retake majority of science classes but ended up with Cs. Before, I was in a community college and did horrible but retook majority of classes and got 3.2 GPA. I have 2.9 GPA just calculating the prereq for med school from both CC and university which was done by using a random online calculator.

I am done with my degree in chemistry BA this August 2014. I am going to take MCAT in Oct 25, 2014 and study the 3 months prior. Depending on how I do, I will continue to try and pursue career in medicine as either DO or MD. I have considered caribbean medical schools but thats a last resort. As mentioned if I perform well on the MCATs this Oct. I will continue by pursuit.

Is my approach severely flawed? Should I try another approach to my future? Should I cancel my MCAT exam? Is there anyway to salvage anything?

Also, I havent done any clinical volunteering. I am trying to set up clinical volunteering as I am writing this. but so far I am being put on waiting lists.

I have read stories on this forum about non trad students who were able to turn around their bad grades by doing DIY post bacc. If I go down this route should I just retake the prereq? retake the advanced courses? Retake both?

Not to rain on your parade, but MD is most likely out of the question.

Personally, I think taking the MCAT at this point would be a waste of time and money. You need to figure out why you performed poorly in your classes and correct the problem. Your grades reflect that you do not yet grasp the material, so why would you feel prepared to take the MCAT?

After you assess what led to your poor grades, you'll need to retake those classes, whether that be via a DIY post-pac or SMP is up to you. When you do well in your classes, then you can take on the MCAT.

You also need to start getting some clinical experience to see if medicine is even what you think it's cut out to be. Good grades is only one part of the equation.

If it is, you can certainly turn your situation around, just like many others here have done.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for fast reply.

I know the reason I do poorly, I think. It all started from being immature in CC and failing classes first few semesters. Since then I have always felt nothing will replace my bad past. However I kept going because back then parents pushed me to go. When I actually apply myself I get very good grades on exams even in the advanced chemistry courses but then I would just drop the ball and not study for the next. So to sum it up I get poor grades because of my poor study habits, thats what I believe. Grasping concepts is easy but I just wouldnt study the recommended amount of hours per course always cramming the night before while others are spending days even weeks studying.

I think I might cancel the MCAT in Oct and try to retake classes. If I retake only my prereq courses I would have a 3.3 GPA which is not competitive enough for any school. Thats if i get all As. But I feel any school DO would look at it as cheating because I already have taken advanced courses and have quite a few repeats.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to do your homework on DO schools. Start by looking up AACOMAS grade replacement. There's a reason why this policy exists.

The key thing is to show us that you can handle medical school, and that the you of now is not the you of then.

Retake all F/D/C science course work and see what that does for your GPA.

Then take the MCAT.

I think I might cancel the MCAT in Oct and try to retake classes. If I retake only my prereq courses I would have a 3.3 GPA which is not competitive enough for any school. Thats if i get all As. But I feel any school DO would look at it as cheating because I already have taken advanced courses and have quite a few repeats.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice Goro.

If I retake my sciences courses with C's , my sGPA would rise to 3.367 and my cGPA to 3.338. Currently my sGPA is 2.863 and cGPA is 3.104.

I am referring to AACOMAS GPA computation, where science courses do not include Math.

The science courses I would be retaking are:
Biochem I (C)
Biochem II (C)
Biochem Lab (C-)
Analytical Chem (C)
Medicinal Chem (C-)
General Bio II (C+)

These courses would be retaken as post bacc. I applied for August 2014 graduation with BA in Chemistry.

Any thoughts?

If you knock them out of the park you'll stand a solid chance at DO school. If you're already scheduled for the MCAT, you might as well take it instead of throwing half your money away. You'll have to take a gap year after finishing all coursework to stand a chance of admission though, as your current GPA is so low schools won't really look at you until the retakes are finished, so if you don't do well on the MCAT, you can retake it next summer.

I agree with what everyone said on here. Retake all your classes until you get that science GPA to a 3.2-3.3, hit the MCAT out of the park, and impress people at the interviews.

GPA replacement is really the only reason why my app won't be trashed with all the others. You must get an A though if you retake, it is all or nothing at that point.

Thanks for the advice Goro.

If I retake my sciences courses with C's , my sGPA would rise to 3.367 and my cGPA to 3.338. Currently my sGPA is 2.863 and cGPA is 3.104.

I am referring to AACOMAS GPA computation, where science courses do not include Math.

The science courses I would be retaking are:
Biochem I (C)
Biochem II (C)
Biochem Lab (C-)
Analytical Chem (C)
Medicinal Chem (C-)
General Bio II (C+)

These courses would be retaken as post bacc. I applied for August 2014 graduation with BA in Chemistry.

Any thoughts?
If you bring up these GPAs to 3.3+ and score 26+ MCAT, you should have a shot at DO...

I am a MS III at an allopathic school and a nontraditional student. My mcat was 33 and my undergrad gpa for AMCAS was 3.37. I went back for my MS in chemistry and worked in research prior to applying. Like you, my early years were littered with A through F on my transcript. My biggest worry for you would be your issues studying consistently. Med school, regardless of allopathic or osteopathic orientation, is an endurance run. Make sure you are ready. When you are, if I can do it, you can do it too.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I have another question regarding the proper medical school (DO or MD) application cycle. Obviously 2015 is impossible, however, is 2016 also unrealistic?

My plan is to work this fall and get clinical volunteering. In January I will start retaking my classes, those I have listed above. In Fall 2015 I will continue and finish retaking classes. Also, I will try to fit in what I can in the summer of 2015. I will continue doing clinical volunteering during the semesters.

Any thoughts or advice?

People with low scores should apply as early in the cycle as possible, preferably on the first day of the AMCAS/AACOMAS opening. That means any retaken class in summer 2105 will not appear on the transcript and you'll be applying with a lower GPA. What's the rush? If you do this hastily, you'll need to reapply, which wastes time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I'm going to retake Biochemistry but I am confused about the credits. At my former school I took biochem I lecture (3cr.) and biochem lecture II (3cr.), followed by biochem lab (2cr.). At this new school, Biochem I is combined with lab and is a 4cr. course. The same goes for Biochem II w/ lab (4cr.). Will AACOMAS replace my former grade with these new credit courses?

I'm going to keep researching, but they do add up to the same amount of credits.

I think they will replace the two lecture grades, but not the lab grade.

I agree with all the above, retake courses to get your GPA to where you have a fighting chance. Then take the MCAT. I'm not sure of your age, but unless you're 40 you have some time to work with to get better grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your English is horrible. I think you have a low iq.

Go to a Trade school.

Your English is horrible. I think you have a low iq.

Go to a Trade school.
Hello,

I will not be as harsh as the other poster who stated that you should consider trade school due to your English and grammar skills. However, your English and grammar are not very good. Are you an international student? If not, then you really need to focus on improving your English and grammar during your academic efforts. I highly doubt that a medical school will admit someone whose English and grammar skills are poor.

International students may be exempt from this. Medical school admissions committees will probably understand that English may not be the primary language of an international student applying to an American medical school. However, a U.S. citizen with poor English and grammar skills will probably have a very difficult time convincing an American medical school to admit him or her. This is especially important when you consider the fact that many other applicants with exceptional grades and good English and grammar will be applying to the medical school.

I will not be as harsh as the other poster who stated that you should consider trade school due to your English and grammar skills. However, your English and grammar are not very good. Are you an international student? If not, then you really need to focus on improving your English and grammar during your academic efforts. I highly doubt that a medical school will admit someone whose English and grammar skills are poor.

International students may be exempt from this. Medical school admissions committees will probably understand that English may not be the primary language of an international student applying to an American medical school. However, a U.S. citizen with poor English and grammar skills will probably have a very difficult time convincing an American medical school to admit him or her. This is especially important when you consider the fact that many other applicants with exceptional grades and good English and grammar will be applying to the medical school.
Really, you decided to make your first two posts about someone's grammar? I was able to understand the OP perfectly, just because he didn't put in some "a's"or "the's" doesn't mean he's a bad writer. Maybe he or she doesn't want to waste time writing a novella.

Well the one dude is banned.
And the other dude only has two posts... not exactly people to take seriously!

I think they will replace the two lecture grades, but not the lab grade.

I agree with all the above, retake courses to get your GPA to where you have a fighting chance. Then take the MCAT. I'm not sure of your age, but unless you're 40 you have some time to work with to get better grades.

Thanks for the information.

Really, you decided to make your first two posts about someone's grammar? I was able to understand the OP perfectly, just because he didn't put in some "a's"or "the's" doesn't mean he's a bad writer. Maybe he or she doesn't want to waste time writing a novella.

First, I posted because I wanted to help sso_blasted87 understand that his writing needs work. My intentions were honorable. Medical schools will be looking for reasons not to accept someone. Poor grammar skills would be blatantly obvious.

Second, he didn't just "put in some "a's" or "the's" as you stated. He also spelled words incorrectly, had incomplete sentences, etc. Such things would stand out in an application and personal statement.

Third, this was constructive criticism for sso_blasted87. If you dislike that I posted it, then ignore it. Your sarcasm isn't helpful for this individual. Thank you and have a nice day.

I respectfully disagree with your assumption that a person with only a few posts should not be taken seriously. A person's background or experiences would better indicate whether he or she should be taken seriously. I believe that I am someone who can make positive contributions to the student doctor network forums.

I have a Bachelors degree in print journalism. I served as the assistant college life editor for the school newspaper and received awards through the intercollegiate press association for my writing.
In addition to my writing abilities, I have successfully served in the military. I completed basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO and Airborne (paratrooper) school at Fort Benning, GA. I was subsequently assigned as a technician with the 3rd Psychological Operations (PSYOP) Battalion at Fort Bragg, NC.

I was eventually accepted into the Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) Green to Gold officer commissioning program at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). I was also accepted into graduate school at UNCP. I completed both the ROTC program and a Masters of Public Administration degree. I then served several years as an Army officer.

My journalism degree and my military experiences have sharpened my skills and abilities.
I want to continue serving our military and veterans. I hope to do this as a military doctor or DVA (Department of Veterans Affairs) doctor. To reach that goal, I am using my GI bill benefits to complete a second degree in biology/pre-med studies.

In conclusion, I believe my experiences and education indicate that I am in fact someone who may be able to offer helpful suggestions, insight, and advice to others. Unfortunately, I lead a busy life. So, I may not always have time to post frequently on this site. Anyway, thank you for your time. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with your assumption that a person with only a few posts should not be taken seriously. A person's background or experiences would better indicate whether he or she should be taken seriously. I believe that I am someone who can make positive contributions to the student doctor network forums.

I have a Bachelors degree in print journalism. I served as the assistant college life editor for the school newspaper and received awards through the intercollegiate press association for my writing.
In addition to my writing abilities, I have successfully served in the military. I completed basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO and Airborne (paratrooper) school at Fort Benning, GA. I was subsequently assigned as a technician with the 3rd Psychological Operations (PSYOP) Battalion at Fort Bragg, NC.

I was eventually accepted into the Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) Green to Gold officer commissioning program at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). I was also accepted into graduate school at UNCP. I completed both the ROTC program and a Masters of Public Administration degree. I then served several years as an Army officer.

My journalism degree and my military experiences have sharpened my skills and abilities.
I want to continue serving our military and veterans. I hope to do this as a military doctor or DVA (Department of Veterans Affairs) doctor. To reach that goal, I am using my GI bill benefits to complete a second degree in biology/pre-med studies.

In conclusion, I believe my experiences and education indicate that I am in fact someone who may be able to offer helpful suggestions, insight, and advice to others. Unfortunately, I lead a busy life and do not always have time to post frequently on this site. Anyway, thank you for your time. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Thanks for the life history. On SDN, there are different metrics for how useful a person's advice happens to be. Especially when those two posts are basically insulting to another user.

I wrote about my military service to illustrate the context of my willingness to serve and help others. I wrote about my educational background to illustrate that I recognize improper grammar when I read it. Unfortunately, the post by sso_blasted87 contains many grammatical errors. Therefore, I sought to help him.

My post was meant to encourage sso_blasted87 to improve his grammar skills. A person applying to medical school should be able to communicate effectively with few errors. Most patients probably prefer a doctor with good grammar. Conversely, Medical schools would probably reject a student with poor grammar.

I also do not believe my comments are as insulting as you imply. The general tone of my post was advisory. However, your comments are quite sarcastic and lack tact. For example, you begin your response to me by stating , "thanks for the life history." That was a very sarcastic remark. Yet, you proclaim that my posts are "basically insulting." If that is true, then how would you characterize your response to me? I would characterize it as insulting.

Last edited:

I wrote about my military service to illustrate the context of my willingness to serve and help others. I wrote about my educational background to illustrate that I recognize improper grammar when I read it. Unfortunately, the post by sso_blasted87 contains many grammatical errors. Therefore, I sought to help him.

My post was meant to encourage sso_blasted87 to improve his grammar skills. A person applying to medical school should be able to communicate effectively with few errors. Most patients probably prefer a doctor with good grammar. Conversely, Medical schools would probably reject a student with poor grammar.

I also do not believe my comments are as insulting as you imply. The general tone of my post was advisory. However, your comments are quite sarcastic and lack tact. For example, you begin your response to me by stating , "thanks for the life history." That was a very sarcastic remark. Yet, you proclaim that my posts are "basically insulting." If that is true, then how would you characterize your response to me? I would characterize it as insulting.

Last edited:

Did you even bother to look at the date I joined SDN? I joined 11/22/2014. I made two posts in less than a month as a new member.

Update: I got into LECOM Post Bacc program. If all goes well, I'll be attending LECOM Erie DO Program in Fall 2017. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello,

Is my approach severely flawed?

If you are horrible at science classes what makes you interested in med school, which is like 1000 science classes crammed into 2 yrs?

My greater concern is that you just don't seem to be performing well academically in general and you didn't say you retook the science classes and earned almost all A's. So before you continue down the path of premed or the LECOM post bac you still need to figure out what is going on academically. Perhaps speak with a counselor or psychologist and figure out if it is a learning, studying, immaturity, social, family, language, emotional, whatever and FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Fixing it isn't just taking more courses, it's figuring it out and implementing corrective strategies and then going back and making A's.

The post bac isn't retaking classes and replacing them and the postbac can be more difficult that regular premed courses, so be ready.

Good Luck

If you are horrible at science classes what makes you interested in med school, which is like 1000 science classes crammed into 2 yrs?

My greater concern is that you just don't seem to be performing well academically in general and you didn't say you retook the science classes and earned almost all A's. So before you continue down the path of premed or the LECOM post bac you still need to figure out what is going on academically. Perhaps speak with a counselor or psychologist and figure out if it is a learning, studying, immaturity, social, family, language, emotional, whatever and FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Fixing it isn't just taking more courses, it's figuring it out and implementing corrective strategies and then going back and making A's.

The post bac isn't retaking classes and replacing them and the postbac can be more difficult that regular premed courses, so be ready.

Good Luck
Sorry for not being clear. I retook the majority of the classes I did poorly in. Recieved all A's, so I got a 4.0 post bacc that included courses like anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, organic chemistry II, Biochemistry, and general bio II. The post bacc increased my overall gpa to 3.20 according to aacomas with grade replacement. I got a 505 on the new mcat which is equivalent to a 28 on the old mcat and is good enough for LECOM. I feel prepared for the post bacc, but I understand that rigorous work lies ahead.

Last edited:
A 3.2 and 505 might get you some attention if you apply broadly. Just watch out for smp progs as they can be as hard as med school and the requirements to be admitted can be like a 3.7. good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Update: I got a 3.87 GPA for the first semester of the Post Bacc Program and have an interview with LECOM in January. Second semester starts next week.

Reactions: 6 users
Update: I got my letter of conditional acceptance from LECOM. If I maintain a 3.0 this semester, then I will be starting medical school this Fall 2017.

Reactions: 4 users
Update: I got my letter of conditional acceptance from LECOM. If I maintain a 3.0 this semester, then I will be starting medical school this Fall 2017.
congratulations! I hope this last semester goes well! Glad it all worked out for you.

Update: I got a 3.87 GPA for the first semester of the Post Bacc Program and have an interview with LECOM in January. Second semester starts next week.

How difficult were the classes? feel free to pm me, thinking about applying to the program