Non trad, 2.8GPA, POLI SCI MAJOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synaptic1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm currently a political science major on my last quarter before completing my BA in Political Science but I have a change of heart and wanted to become a physician. The reason for the change of heart is due to the birth of my son. He was born prematurely at 26 1/2 weeks and stayed in the NICU for nearly 4 months. The doctors and nurses there are the most caring group of people I have ever met. The doctor that stand out the most was Dr. Velazquez he worked nearly 20 hours in a day and yet he was very jolly every time I see him. During the time my son stay at the NICU I volunteer at the unit for a several months and love it there. As a result I want to become a physician who can make an impact in someone's life like Dr. Velazquez, however, I understand I need to repair my GPA before even going any further. I just want to know if it is possible for individual who receive C's and B's in an easy "A" major would stand a chance getting accepted to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really tell you how you'll do until you try some of the pre-reqs out and see how you do. Just realize that you will need to study harder than you ever have before to try and make as close to a 4.0 as you can from here on out in very difficult classes. I'd recommend starting off slow and ramping up your class load over time if you can make those A's in the first few science classes.

I have taken a few science courses and did pretty well on them.

Human Anatomy-A
Physiology-A
Intro Bio-B
Intro Organic/Inorganic chemistry-A

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA was the result of pulling 20 units per quarter and working 40 hours a week due to the birth of my son.

It's definitely possible if you have time and patience. You need to repair your GPA and can take advantage of the grade replacement policy that osteopathic medical schools allow.

Just do a search and you'll find plenty of information. Good luck.

If you get your overall GPA up above a 3.3ish, you are entering into the land of possible. A 2.8 won't cut it for you anywhere. Whatever your reasons for performing poorly, it won't make up for performing poorly. Get good grades, take your time, and it is possible.

Sure, it is possible to turn things around academically, but what you need to do is have a better foundation as to what it entails to become a physician and the life of a physician is like. I understand that you had a heartwarming experience in the NICU and want to contribute, but that's just taking an idealized situation and blowing it up. Going into medicine is a lifelong journey with many sacrifices and difficulties. You have a child now. Are you prepared to be absent many times? I don't want to discourage you. If you still wish to go through, best of luck :)

No. You need to get lots of As in any major to get into medical school. We don't care about your major or minor, only that you do well.

I just want to know if it is possible for individual who receive C's and B's in an easy "A" major would stand a chance getting accepted to med school?

Thank you for your honest advices. I will begin taking my pre med courses this coming 2015 Fall and will see from there!
@Goro I'm currently working as a full time data analyst, do you think D.O. school will mind or frown upon students who take only 2 courses per semester?

I think that that particular load will be OK.

Thank you for your honest advices. I will begin taking my pre med courses this coming 2015 Fall and will see from there!
@Goro I'm currently working as a full time data analyst, do you think D.O. school will mind or frown upon students who take only 2 courses per semester?