Non-trad 3.31 cGPA, 3.42sGPA. 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a non-traditional applicant, currently age 31. Here are my stats:

- 3.31 cGPA (failed a quarter and received 0.77 gpa, due to poor choices I made)
- 3.42ish sGPA
- BS in Neurobiology
- Resident of Washington State

During college, I volunteered at a ER department of a large hospital (50+ hours); worked as a intro biology TA for ~3-4 months; worked in a diabetes research lab for 1 year as a student assistant.

I graduated in 2007, worked random jobs, and joined the military in 2009. Served as a medical services officer for 5 years and I had the opportunity to work with various medical providers, PAs, docs, medics during this time and decided to give medical school a shot. I left the military in August 2014 and took time off to study for the MCATs full-time (twice):

- 11PS, 11 BS, 09 VR (Oct 2014)
- 09 PS, 14 BS, 07 VR (Jan 2014)

Unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

I have to admit that I lacked the maturity in college to realize the significance of where I was and where I wanted to go; otherwise, I would've worked harder. And I know I am STILL deficient in many areas but I am wiser now and would like to give this another shot. As of now, I am looking for opportunities to bolster my application. I would appreciate any advjce/feedback you can give.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Being a vet adds points to your GPA. I suggest applying to any DO school, all new MD schools, your state schools, and broadly to the low and even a mid-tier or two. if you can get some research experience, all the better. Definitely try Dartmouth.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That attachment was unintended. My apologies.

You should be fine for DO.

For MD, your only realistic chances are at low tier schools and maybe UW.

If you really want to improve your chances you can do a 1 year post bacc with upper division science courses. In addition, getting more clinical experience would also make a big difference.