MD Non-trad, 3.36 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 4.0 post-bacc, 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntheblobs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident. I am a non-trad career changer. I enrolled in a post-bacc a few years after undergrad and after I had already been working in an unrelated field. My post-bacc consisted of 30+ units and all of my science pre-requisites. My undergrad performance was a 3.2, but I had a strong upward trend as I moved through (2.4 my first two semesters, and a 3.8 my final semester).

Volunteering:
-Pediatric clinic at a well known research hospital (2 years, once a month for 4 hours/shift)
-Med-Surg floor of a level-1 trauma center hospital with a very diverse and under-served population (1 year, 1-2x/week for 4 hours/shift
-Dog companion at a local humane society (2 years, weekly 2 hours/shift)

Shadowing:
-I have shadowed the physicians at the clinic I volunteered at for a few hours

ECs:
-I am an amateur boxer (I have actually had a sanctioned fight, in addition to sparring)
-I support myself with an internet business that I founded and a non-internet business that I founded
-I tutor the basic sciences to high school kids

My primaries were sent the other day, and I have applied to 33 schools. I am wondering what you guys think my chances are at some of the reachier schools I have picked:

UCLA
Dartmouth
Mayo
Brown
Univ of Cincinnati
Tufts

Is it a waste of money to send out a secondary if I get them from these schools? I realize I am pretty research and GPA light. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lots of schools send out secondaries no matter what the merit of the candidate. However, you are in very good shape. A lot of schools value reinvention.

I don't know about the other schools on your list, but I suggest:

Tufts
NYMC
Albany
Vanderbilt
Case
SUNY-Upstate
Wayne State
USC
UCD
UCLA
UCI
BU
Tulane
Any other low-tier MD school
Any new MD school
Any DO program (Western and TUCOM-CA are in your backyard)

I definitely applied to a chunk of schools that you listed. I guess I am more wondering how some of those more competitive schools will look at my GPA. Are there just so many perfect students that my app will get thrown in the trash?

Members don't see this ad :)
California resident. I am a non-trad career changer. I enrolled in a post-bacc a few years after undergrad and after I had already been working in an unrelated field. My post-bacc consisted of 30+ units and all of my science pre-requisites. My undergrad performance was a 3.2, but I had a strong upward trend as I moved through (2.4 my first two semesters, and a 3.8 my final semester).

Volunteering:
-Pediatric clinic at a well known research hospital (2 years, once a month for 4 hours/shift)
-Med-Surg floor of a level-1 trauma center hospital with a very diverse and under-served population (1 year, 1-2x/week for 4 hours/shift
-Dog companion at a local humane society (2 years, weekly 2 hours/shift)

Shadowing:
-I have shadowed the physicians at the clinic I volunteered at for a few hours

ECs:
-I am an amateur boxer (I have actually had a sanctioned fight, in addition to sparring)
-I support myself with an internet business that I founded and a non-internet business that I founded
-I tutor the basic sciences to high school kids

My primaries were sent the other day, and I have applied to 33 schools. I am wondering what you guys think my chances are at some of the reachier schools I have picked:

UCLA
Dartmouth
Mayo
Brown
Univ of Cincinnati
Tufts

Is it a waste of money to send out a secondary if I get them from these schools? I realize I am pretty research and GPA light. Thank you all!

How were your primaries sent out? Doesn't AMCAS send it out June 27th?

I've submitted them is what I mean. They aren't verified yet, but they should be by the 27th.

I've submitted them is what I mean. They aren't verified yet, but they should be by the 27th.

Best of luck with that. AMCAS takes forever. I literally submitted mine on June whatever date it was and a half hr. later I was verified.

At the rate they have been processing (per sdn verification thread), mine should be verified on the 24th!