Non trad; 31 MCAT(balanced): should i retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adimelon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am a non trad student with a 31 MCAT(11PS/10V/10BS) from 2012, 3.25 uGPA(sciences and cum) and a 3.96 SMP GPA. I took my first MCAT in 2009 and has a horrible score 20 with a very low verbal(I wasn't ready for the test) years ago. Currently I am schedule to take it on Wednesday(July 2nd). However, my verbal score is hovering around a 8 at the moment while my sciences are average 12-13 for PS and 13-14 for BS. I wanted some advice whether I should retake the MCAT or not. I mean I will go to the testing center and attempt the test, but I am already contemplating voiding the score. I am just scared that my verbal will be lower than before which adcoms might not look favorably upon.

I would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should retake it. You showed a strong improvement from the 20, it's a good score, your SMP GPA is good. You might not improve your score and could easily do worse. I think you skip taking it again and plan to apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I have indicated on my AMCAS that I have a future score. What is the best way to deal with that, in case I end up voiding? Is notifying schools without a justification good enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is called a standardized test for a reason. Statistically, you are likely to score within three points of your prior score on subsequent retakes, assuming you have prepared properly. It sounds like you didn't prepare properly for your first take (the 20) and then you did for your second take, as evidenced by the 11 point jump in score. However, your current practice scores are within that same low 30s range, and you have already broken a 30 and have a reasonably competitive score. For those reasons, I'd recommend against retaking in your case. As WH said, if you do decide not to retake, contact AMCAS and ask them what you need to do. You certainly wouldn't be the first person who decided against retaking after indicating that you were.

Reactions: 2 users
The MCAT is called a standardized test for a reason. Statistically, you are likely to score within three points of your prior score on subsequent retakes, assuming you have prepared properly. It sounds like you didn't prepare properly for your first take (the 20) and then you did for your second take, as evidenced by the 11 point jump in score. However, your current practice scores are within that same low 30s range, and you have already broken a 30 and have a reasonably competitive score. For those reasons, I'd recommend against retaking in your case. As WH said, if you do decide not to retake, contact AMCAS and ask them what you need to do. You certainly wouldn't be the first person who decided against retaking after indicating that you were.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes my practice tests are all in the low to Mid 30 range. I am most concerned about verbal because anything below a 9 limits how broadly I can apply. I have contacted AMCAS via email and considering my application hasn't been verified yet I am going they can change that piece of information.

You retake that fine score and I'm going to reach through the computer and smack you upside the head!

Aim for

Low tier MD schools
All new MD schools
All DO schools.

Now quit fussing and start applying!

Hey Guys,
I am a non trad student with a 31 MCAT(11PS/10V/10BS) from 2012, 3.25 uGPA(sciences and cum) and a 3.96 SMP GPA. I took my first MCAT in 2009 and has a horrible score 20 with a very low verbal(I wasn't ready for the test) years ago. Currently I am schedule to take it on Wednesday(July 2nd). However, my verbal score is hovering around a 8 at the moment while my sciences are average 12-13 for PS and 13-14 for BS. I wanted some advice whether I should retake the MCAT or not. I mean I will go to the testing center and attempt the test, but I am already contemplating voiding the score. I am just scared that my verbal will be lower than before which adcoms might not look favorably upon.

I would appreciate any advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks @Goro !

Just waiting for secondaries at this point. Applied to all new MD schools, lower tier and a few mid tier schools and 5 DO schools

You retake that fine score and I'm going to reach through the computer and smack you upside the head!

Aim for

Low tier MD schools
All new MD schools
All DO schools.

Now quit fussing and start applying!
lol