Non-trad, 34 MCAT, 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spriteling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student. I have an BSc and an MSc iGBn mathematics, both from universities in Scotland. My undergraduate GPA is.... about 3.9, I believe, but somewhat irrelevant and most universities don't consider courses taken abroad. In the biology and chemistry and other courses I have taken in the US, I have a 4.0, for both sGPA and GPA. I currently work as a software engineer, and am an IL resident.

100+ hours volunteering at the hospital
50+ hours shadowing
50+ hours non-clinical volunteering
34 MCAT, first try

I'm a dedicated running, training for my third half marathon. I'm finishing up my last pre-reqs. I'll be taking orgo 1 this summer and biochem in the autumn. So, universities will only have my undergraduate grades, plus my grades from bio 1 & 2, chem 1 & 2, as well as the three humanities courses I took that U of I requires.

My list of schools includes: University of Illinois, Northwestern, UChicago, UVA, Case Western, WashU in St Louis, St Louis University, NYU, Einstein, Brown, Tufts, Drexel, Stony Brook, Pitt, UCincy.

Any other schools that might be in my range would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold/red are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some of these.
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.
Your state school(s).

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold/red are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some of these.
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI though.
Your state school(s).
Do you think I have a good chance at some of the non-bolded schools? My options are limited in many cases by the fact that many med schools require either 90 credit hours from a US institution or that all premed courses be taken at US institutions. Having a taken 20+ physics courses, I have little desire to retake physics 1 & 2, and I don't have the money to redo an entire degree. The schools I've listed in my original post all will accept my foreign degrees, as well as UCincy and Pitt will accept my foreign credits, and don't require a huge number from a US institution.

Yes, that's why they're non-bolded. It's up to you to find the right school on the list. If you have limitations, well, you're limited.

Do you think I have a good chance at some of the non-bolded schools? My options are limited in many cases by the fact that many med schools require either 90 credit hours from a US institution or that all premed courses be taken at US institutions. Having a taken 20+ physics courses, I have little desire to retake physics 1 & 2, and I don't have the money to redo an entire degree. The schools I've listed in my original post all will accept my foreign degrees, as well as UCincy and Pitt will accept my foreign credits, and don't require a huge number from a US institution.