non-trad 36, c3.6, s3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beantowndoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hello, I'm looking for some help in how to maximize my chances of getting an interview with my late application.
  • Top 20 undergrad, major in humanities. Very poor senior year of college due to personal difficulties. Dragged my overall GPA down at least 0.1, likely down 0.15.
  • Volunteer year with an underserved population
  • Demonstrated record of service even before my interest in medicine kicked in
  • Solid post-bacc in all my sciences
  • Worked 4+ years in hospital, with direct patient care and significant clinical research experience at a top academic institution + a handful of publications
cGPA = 3.6
sGPA = 3.9
MCAT = 36

Caveats:
-3x MCAT taker (twice a few years ago just a few weeks apart, with scores high 20's and low 30's). Retook it again this year because I knew I could do better.
-Very poor senior year of college (>1 Grade point lower than the next lowest GPA in a year).
-I submitted in late August; already verified.

I am confident I will get into at least one school, but I don't want to be overconfident with my school selections. I just want to get into the best school I can.

What are my chances at a top tier school? With an unadjusted Lizzy M of 72, I have about 15 schools in the top tier ("Hopeful" LizzyM category), 5 schools in my "go for it" and just 1 in my "safety".

If my score is adjusted (LizzyM+1 = 73), then I have 10 in the hopeful, 9 in the "go for it" and 2 in the "safety". But again, my application is late.

I'm trying to be smart about maximizing my chances of getting an interview at a school I really want to go to, without spending tons and tons of money. I'm getting older and really will only apply once.

The question is whether I should add more schools in the "Hopeful", "Go for it" or "safety" category?

Members don't see this ad.

Very top heavy list like you are explaining.. Even with research experience it could go either way since you applied late like you said + MCAT x 3. I am not saying you won't get calls, but if I were you, my list would be more like:
5-7 ("safety schools") + 10 where you fit perfectly (go for it category) + 5 (reaches). Try to make your list to at least 22-25 schools.

Consider the likelihood that many schools will end up looking at you as the composite of your scores. As long as a dozen of your schools have median stats that are the average of your MCAT's and accept a significant number of OOS applicants, you may be fine (depending on your state of residence).