Non-trad Applying MD with CC Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nashki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking this for a friend:

Career-changer that has a doctorate degree from a prestigious university (top 5 in that field) in an unrelated field. They decided to go into medicine, but for financial reasons have been taking all pre-reqs at a local CC (literally <1/4 the cost compared to the local state school). They were wondering if the CC courses would be "looked down upon" by MD schools. They were thinking of taking O Chem, Biochem, and a Physiology course at a state or other local university to kind of alleviate that idea. Is that a wise decision? In other words, is it worth the extra money?

They haven't taken the MCAT yet, but so far have a 4.0 in the CC pre-reqs, ~3.7 (around the same or slightly higher science GPA - no life sciences though) from undergrad at a good state university, and like I said have a doctorate degree (not sure what grad GPA was, if it matters, but to get degree must have been >3.0).

They would honestly like to get into any reasonably priced MD school, so probably public school or a private one that gives scholarships. Resident of CA, but could potentially be a resident of NY depending on where their spouse is looking for a job - I told them it might be better to keep CA residency, but I know very little about NY schools.

So basically, the questions are:
1) Does that seem like a good plan for them?
2) Overall chances good assuming nothing but A's in rest of pre-reqs?
3) Are there any schools where the CC credits will be a deal breaker?
4) Is it a good call to take the advanced courses at a state university?
5) Which state would be better, CA or NY, for being more competitive for cheaper state MD schools or schools that give a good amount of scholarships?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Being a non-trad cuts you some slack with Adcoms on CC credits. Keep in mind that not all MD schools will accept pre-reqs from CCs. I have no problem with CC coursework.

Career-changer that has a doctorate degree from a prestigious university (top 5 in that field) in an unrelated field. They decided to go into medicine, but for financial reasons have been taking all pre-reqs at a local CC (literally <1/4 the cost compared to the local state school). They were wondering if the CC courses would be "looked down upon" by MD schools. They were thinking of taking O Chem, Biochem, and a Physiology course at a state or other local university to kind of alleviate that idea. Is that a wise decision? In other words, is it worth the extra money?

Have they done the necessary ECs????

They would honestly like to get into any reasonably priced MD school, so probably public school or a private one that gives scholarships. Resident of CA, but could potentially be a resident of NY depending on where their spouse is looking for a job - I told them it might be better to keep CA residency, but I know very little about NY schools.

CA is a net exporter of medical school matriculants. I suspect that being a NY resident will indeed be better.

PhD courseworks doesn't count for much in MD admissions. How do evaluate an A in "DNA Techniques" or "Seminars in neuroscience"? What was the UG GPA?

Invest in MSAR Online
Yes

NY. UCLA alone produces enough pre-meds to fill every med school seat in CA.
5) Which state would be better, CA or NY, for being more competitive for cheaper state MD schools or schools that give a good amount of scholarships?

Being a non-trad cuts you some slack with Adcoms on CC credits. Keep in mind that not all MD schools will accept pre-reqs from CCs. I have no problem with CC coursework.

Have they done the necessary ECs????

They are working on ECs now. Currently have a history of volunteering and some shadowing. They are talking with a doc to do research with them this semester.

CA is a net exporter of medical school matriculants. I suspect that being a NY resident will indeed be better.

Do you know if NY schools give a lot of scholarships? They'd probably want to avoid NYC for financial reasons. Basically since they're older they want to avoid as much debt as possible, but that's pretty much all I know right now about what they're looking for.

PhD courseworks doesn't count for much in MD admissions. How do evaluate an A in "DNA Techniques" or "Seminars in neuroscience"? What was the UG GPA?

Invest in MSAR Online
Yes

NY. UCLA alone produces enough pre-meds to fill every med school seat in CA.

Thank you for the advice! I'll let them know.