Non-trad applying next summer: chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.glabrata123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just graduated and decided to take some time off before medical school (no real big reason except to gain volunteer experience and earn money). I plan to apply next summer for matriculation in 2014 and would like to figure out what my chances are.

Went to a small, all women's, liberal arts college known for its academic rigor.
Major: Biology with honors, minor psychology. Magna cum laude.

cGPA: 3.806
sGPA: 3.87
nsGPA: 3.72

MCAT: 33Q... BS:10 VR: 11 PS: 12

2 summers undergraduate research at SBU
2 summers research at CHOP (Through an undergrad program at UPenn and an HHMI grant)
1 year independent research culminating in a written senior thesis and presentation at my school
2 publications in reputable science magazines

Orgo/gen chem tutor for 2 years
4 years varsity DIII soccer, captain for 1 year

(Little things: volunteer with troubled children at lunch for 1 semester, co-lead a genetics focus group for 1 year, co-founded a breast cancer volunteer group)

At the time of primary application: Will have worked 1 year as a research technician in a structural biology lab (mitochondria stuff) and will continue to work until I attend medical school.
Will have volunteered at a hospital for roughly 9 months (4-8 hrs/week) and will continue to volunteer throughout the application year.

Am thinking about retaking the MCAT in January/March because I would rather perform better in the BS section and would rather get >36... but not sure if I have it in me to study again.

I know I will be a relatively competitive applicant for some schools (especially SUNY schools as I am a NY resident) but am not sure how I will fare for some of the schools I want to consider:

U Michigan - Ann Arbor
UPenn
Mount Sinai
Cornell
UCSF
NYU
Baylor

Any ideas as to my chances or what I can do in the next year to make myself a better candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I just graduated and decided to take some time off before medical school (no real big reason except to gain volunteer experience and earn money). I plan to apply next summer for matriculation in 2014 and would like to figure out what my chances are.

Went to a small, all women's, liberal arts college known for its academic rigor.
cGPA: 3.806
sGPA: 3.87
nsGPA: 3.72

MCAT: 33Q... BS:10 VR: 11 PS: 12

2 summers undergraduate research at SBU
2 summers research at CHOP (Through an undergrad program at UPenn and an HHMI grant)
1 year independent research culminating in a written senior thesis and presentation at my school
2 publications in reputable science magazines

4 years varsity DIII soccer, captain for 1 year

(Little things: volunteer with troubled children at lunch for 1 semester, co-lead a genetics focus group for 1 year, co-founded a breast cancer volunteer group)

At the time of primary application: Will have worked 1 year as a research technician in a structural biology lab (mitochondria stuff).
Will have volunteered at a hospital for roughly 9 months (4-8 hrs/week)

Am thinking about retaking the MCAT in January/March because I would rather perform better in the BS section and would rather get >36... but not sure if I have it in me to study again.

I know I will be a relatively competitive applicant for some schools (especially SUNY schools as I am a NY resident) but am not sure how I will fare for some of the schools I want to consider:

U Michigan - Ann Arbor
UPenn
Mount Sinai
Cornell
UCSF
NYU
Baylor

Any ideas as to my chances or what I can do in the next year to make myself a better candidate?
You'll want to get in some physician shadowing; about 50 hours is the average listed. Some teaching (coaching, TA, tutor) and some nonmedical community service would also broaden the appeal of your application. You might consider sharing your sport with kids living in an underfunded district to get a two-fer and to carry a theme through your entries.

Also, plan to continue your clinical experience into the application year, as 9 months is well below the 1.5 year average that is listed.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll look into getting some shadowing in! And coaching sounds pretty interesting so I'll see what I can do. It would probably be more of a volunteer position anyway.

(I forgot to mention that I was a chemistry tutor for two years. And I definitely plan on continuing to volunteer at the hospital throughout the application year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
1) And coaching sounds pretty interesting so I'll see what I can do. It would probably be more of a volunteer position anyway.

2) (I forgot to mention that I was a chemistry tutor for two years. And I definitely plan on continuing to volunteer at the hospital throughout the application year.)
1) I was hoping you'd volunteer to help.

2) Sounds excellent. I presume this was paid.

1) I was hoping you'd volunteer to help.

2) Sounds excellent. I presume this was paid.

2) Yes, it was paid.

Would it help my case at all if I volunteer at an animal shelter walking dogs? Not as my only non-medical related volunteer work, of course. But I will probably end up doing this a few hours a week because I really enjoy it and the dogs at the shelter are so grateful and happy to get out of their cages.

Would it help my case at all if I volunteer at an animal shelter walking dogs? Not as my only non-medical related volunteer work, of course. But I will probably end up doing this a few hours a week because I really enjoy it and the dogs at the shelter are so grateful and happy to get out of their cages.
One might think that this activity should be ranked after some type of service to homeless humanoids, but adcomms seem to love it regardless. So go for it!

Is there a chance that these schools will notice me with my 33Q MCAT score, high GPA (3.8), and research/volunteer experience? I'm most worried about the 10 I received in BS, because I think I can do better. Would I have to retake the MCAT for them to perhaps consider me? Or would focusing on volunteering, community service, and extracurriculars be more helpful? It's just a lot of effort to get back into the MCAT game, and I will be working full time.

U Michigan - Ann Arbor
UPenn
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
NYU
Baylor

Is there a chance that these schools will notice me with my 33Q MCAT score, high GPA (3.8), and research/volunteer experience? I'm most worried about the 10 I received in BS, because I think I can do better. Would I have to retake the MCAT for them to perhaps consider me? Or would focusing on volunteering, community service, and extracurriculars be more helpful? It's just a lot of effort to get back into the MCAT game, and I will be working full time.

U Michigan - Ann Arbor
UPenn
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
NYU
Baylor
When one's BS score lies below a school's acceptee bottom tenth percentile, one might have a concern, but all schools don't microanalyze subscores, rather looking at a "formula" that figures sll stats together, where one that is a bit low is compensated for by another that is higher. I don't think you "have" to retake the MCAT, considering all your subscores are in the double digits. Having gotten the stats that you have despite your standout EC of Intercollegiate Sports involvement speaks well of you and will give you a bump with many adcomms. I think you'll get far more mileage out of stronger volunteering than you would from two more MCAT points in BS. JMO.

Last edited: