Non-trad burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradblues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. First time posting here. I'm an older non-trad student. Applied this cycle, had a few interviews and am waiting on responses. My concern is that I can't tell if I'm more worried about getting rejected or actually getting accepted. I know I've always wanted to do this, but I'm having second thoughts now that I'm on the verge. Has anyone else been here? How did you work through it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, all. First time posting here. I'm an older non-trad student. Applied this cycle, had a few interviews and am waiting on responses. My concern is that I can't tell if I'm more worried about getting rejected or actually getting accepted. I know I've always wanted to do this, but I'm having second thoughts now that I'm on the verge. Has anyone else been here? How did you work through it?
Right there with you. I am TERRIFIED that I won't be able to handle the stress this August. :(

Reactions: 1 users
It is much harder than i thought it would be, but i love it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Roll with it. You haven't depended on medical school acceptance your whole life, don't start now. It's an exciting and questionable process. Have a back-up plan, stick to it.

Hey, all. First time posting here. I'm an older non-trad student. My concern is that I can't tell if I'm more worried about getting rejected or actually getting accepted. I know I've always wanted to do this, but I'm having second thoughts now that I'm on the verge. Has anyone else been here?

I'm also an older non-traditional. MS1. I had a lot to do once I got accepted having to do with selling house, husband getting job, kids, finding a nice enough, cheap enough, big enough place to live... Then with studying how will that work out with kids and a husband.

It's tough, but it's worth it. I really am glad I made this decision.

All new ventures are can be anxiety-provoking. Trust yourself. If Medicine is a calling for you, you'll be fine.

Hi nontradblues,

The non-trad forum here is good, and runs pretty well--re: mods, etc. So, I think you will get some support and understanding from a number of nontrad folks.

I do want to suggest another site--oldpremeds, b/c it's quiet, feels warm and friendly--generally more non-trads--say >3o's and up. The forum is just very encouraging and people give productive feedback, especially if you PM them. I think it works b/c it's a smaller, tighter crowd, with those that have more things in common. No tension or trolling and such there. Just people genuinely interested in furthering their goals in medicine--generally knowing who they are and have nothing to prove--save doing the hoops to get in and get through MS, etc.

BUT SDN definitely can be a lot more, shall we say, lively, when you are in the mood for that. LOL. And there are many supportive people here, as well as those with direct insight.

OPM is just a nice place to go, where people are supportive and no one is trying to make anyone else feel badly about themselves or their goals. Also, it's nice when you are relating with people that have children and are working crazy, trying figure things out. Generally, there is no harsh or toxic approach to questions or concerns, or queries--very nonjudgmental.

Anyway, they have story logs or journals of various oldpremeds' journeys into MS and through post-grad, etc. After you read some of their stories, if they are still around, they are very open to PM or open questions re: the process. I found this to be appealing; since many non-trads (I'm talking about those married with kids, and/or very sick family members, demanding jobs, the whole shebang--well, their journey is very different from those that are younger, and/or not living on their own, not having demands of family and the crazy workforce in which many of us have spent years.)
The perspectives are different b/c they have to be, and b/c other people are counting on them, and also, they often know what it is like to be accountable in a professional field. They are apt to empathize so much more.

So maybe in looking at some of the journals over there, you may find your trepidation is normal, especially given that you are a nontrad. That's the big thing for us. It will not and cannot be the same experience as it is for most trads, or even nontrads w/o say family or extended family commitments, who have not come from years in particular profession. It's a very different thing when the process is all on you, versus affecting others in your life. It is encouraging when you are talking about those with compounded stressors that a number of nontrads have--such as raising their own family, and/or then, say, having a parent that is terminally ill or has dementia or whatever--or maybe someone that is working, going to school, and was dx'd with a very serious disease--and in spite of such things, they made it. They are very encouraging.

It's a tough place to be in. After the first year of rejections you find out what you are really made of. A lot of people quit. Some of us become so damn stubborn that we won't take no for an answer, no matter how may tries it takes. It's up to you :D

It's a tough place to be in. After the first year of rejections you find out what you are really made of. A lot of people quit. Some of us become so damn stubborn that we won't take no for an answer, no matter how may tries it takes. It's up to you :D

... "First year of rejections"?! ain't nobody got time for that!

gulp

Well, I never believed in fate, but the fact, that I got in and passed everything so far, sometimes makes me change my mind about it.
What I mean, give your best, if medicin is your way, the door will open somewhere.

It's hard. It really is. I'm not going to sugar coat it. That said, I've made it to my 3rd year and am now looking at residencies, and being done... I'm far more scared of residency, and even then my friends are telling me it will be fine... if I can do it, you can too!