non-trad cgpa 3.22 sgpa 3.2 grad gpa 3.94 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p.p.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have ok EC and maybe OK recommendation letters ( in a packet form) from professors from graduate courses. 11 PS 11 VR 12 BS was my subscores.
My last undergrad courses were taken in fall of 2006 and I worked little less than 2 ys prior going back to graduate school (in different major) in fall of 2009. I did tons of research but 0 publication (working on them, but I did give oral presentation at the national conference as a first author)
I submitted most of my secondary application and haven't heard back for any of the interviews so I was bit worried.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have ok EC and maybe OK recommendation letters ( in a packet form) from professors from graduate courses. 11 PS 11 VR 12 BS was my subscores.
My last undergrad courses were taken in fall of 2006 and I worked little less than 2 ys prior going back to graduate school (in different major) in fall of 2009. I did tons of research but 0 publication (working on them, but I did give oral presentation at the national conference as a first author)
I submitted most of my secondary application and haven't heard back for any of the interviews so I was bit worried.
Thanks
Any... volunteer work and clinical experience? : )

Any... volunteer work and clinical experience? : )
I volunteered at local hospital for over 250 hours past year and shadowed physicians and surgeons in operation rooms for over 100 hours.
Any comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered at local hospital for over 250 hours past year and shadowed physicians and surgeons in operation rooms for over 100 hours.
Any comments are appreciated. Thank you!

As long as you portrayed your experiences well in your primary/secondary and distinguished yourself in writing, I think you have a fair shot.
250 hours indicates that you have committed yourself to at least 4 hours a week for the past year. Combined with a substantial shadowing experience, this could play to your advantage to show your commitment to medicine. However, what you have done at a hospital may be typical of other applicants (given the legal restrictions for hospital volunteering), so it may not be the most distinguishing part of your application. What can distinguish you from other applicants are your research and non-clinical volunteer work (which you did not state).

First author to a poster presentation is awesome and not something typical applicants have in their resume. Most have piggybacked on other people's research efforts as undergrads. As a graduate student, you were given the opportunity to pursue your own research topic. That's something atypical that can distinguish you from other applicants. My only hope is that you took full advantage of it in your essays/descriptions.

Seeing people post their interview invites on SDN can be anxiety-inducing, but they typically had amazing stats and applied very early in the process. Do not be discouraged by it! It takes a significant amount of time between secondary submission and interview invites, and very few schools finish their review in less than a month. The best thing I would do is prepare for the interview now while you still have the time. :)

As long as you portrayed your experiences well in your primary/secondary and distinguished yourself in writing, I think you have a fair shot.
250 hours indicates that you have committed yourself to at least 4 hours a week for the past year. Combined with a substantial shadowing experience, this could play to your advantage to show your commitment to medicine. However, what you have done at a hospital may be typical of other applicants (given the legal restrictions for hospital volunteering), so it may not be the most distinguishing part of your application. What can distinguish you from other applicants are your research and non-clinical volunteer work (which you did not state).

First author to a poster presentation is awesome and not something typical applicants have in their resume. Most have piggybacked on other people's research efforts as undergrads. As a graduate student, you were given the opportunity to pursue your own research topic. That's something atypical that can distinguish you from other applicants. My only hope is that you took full advantage of it in your essays/descriptions.

Seeing people post their interview invites on SDN can be anxiety-inducing, but they typically had amazing stats and applied very early in the process. Do not be discouraged by it! It takes a significant amount of time between secondary submission and interview invites, and very few schools finish their review in less than a month. The best thing I would do is prepare for the interview now while you still have the time. :)

Like you said, I was getting anxious and worried but I will look for positive things. I did spent significant hours serving at my local church which would count as nonmedical service. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I will certainly prepare for interviews like you suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
In this game, patience is a virtue.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you have a good list, or are lucky enough to be from a good state, you should be ok. It's still the first half for many schools. They are poring through thousands of applications to make decisions for precious interview slots.

By the way, @Goro how come your school is not giving interview invites to any applicant with a MCAT score below 29? That seems very hoighty toighty for a DO school. Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad to note that the admissions standards of DO schools have been steadily going up over the past 10 years, especially the past 4 years.

Not my school. Our official floor is 23, but our Dean likes people better when they're >25. CCOM behaves the same way.

By the way, @Goro how come your school is not giving interview invites to any applicant with a MCAT score below 29? That seems very hoighty toighty for a DO school. Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad to note that the admissions standards of DO schools have been steadily going up over the past 10 years, especially the past 4 years.

Not my school. Our official floor is 23, but our Dean likes people better when they're >25. CCOM behaves the same way.

Oh my bad, I thought you were from AZCOM. AZCOM is not interviewing anyone with a MCAT score below 29. Anyone with a lower MCAT score has been waitlisted.

From what I read from the 2013-2014 AZCOM thread, if you're waitlisted, then there's a high chance the school will reject you.

I have to say, I'm impressed with AZCOM. Maybe that's why everyone says AZCOM is #1 among DO schools, apart from MSUCOM and TCOM

That's going to narrow down their applicant pool in a hurry! As for who's #1 among the DO schools, well, I'll beg to differ.

Oh my bad, I thought you were from AZCOM. AZCOM is not interviewing anyone with a MCAT score below 29. Anyone with a lower MCAT score has been waitlisted.

From what I read from the 2013-2014 AZCOM thread, if you're waitlisted, then there's a high chance the school will reject you.

I have to say, I'm impressed with AZCOM. Maybe that's why everyone says AZCOM is #1 among DO schools, apart from MSUCOM and TCOM