Non trad checking in--Introduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Original post below. I'd like to use this thread as a continually updated account of my journey. Here's my list of prerequisites (note that chemistry labs are separate classes with separate course numbers at my school but for Bio lab is included):

Original UGPA: 3.49

Physics 1 from 2003 (4 hours): A

Chem 1 (3 hours), Summer 1 14: A
Chem 1 lab (2 hours), Summer 1 14 : B+
Chem 2 (3 hours), Summer 2 14: A
Chem 2 lab (2 hours), Summer 2 14: B+
Bio 1 (4 hours) Fall 14: A
Bio 2 (4 hours): A
Ochem 1 (3 hours): Summer 1 15 A
Ochem 1 lab (2 hours): Summer 1 15 B (B is for blech)
Ochem 2 (3 hours): Summer 2 15
Ochem 2 lab (3 hours): Summer 2 15 I dropped this...turns out all the schools I'm applying to either don't require lab or they just require 8 hours which I will already have.

DAT: Taking on July 24th
Applications: UNC, UF, OSU, VCU, ECU --> if I can square away my residency

Original post
-----------------------------------------------
Good evening all! Prior lurker but first post. I am a non traditional student looking to apply to dental school in the 2015 cycle. I didn't realize this was what I wanted to do until just a few months ago. Seriously.

I'd like to introduce myself, share the credentials I do have, talk about what I'm still working on, and see where my non-traditional credentials might serve to break me out of the crowd (in good and bad ways). Please pardon the lengthy introduction and feel free to tell me TLDR.

First, the bad (what I think does NOT reflect well on me in a D-school application):
I'm 31 years old, I got my bachelor's from a major state university in the Southeast in political science in 2006. I suffered for a long time under the delusion that I was "not a science brain but into history and politics", not realizing that that was a cop out for not wanting to have to work hard in college. So I majored in political science and drifted along at about 13 credits a semester on average, but managed to graduate in 4 years with a combination of summer school and by-exam credits. My UGPA is 3.49 (non-URM) but the only hard science I took in college was one semester of physics, with a smattering of credits in the soft sciences including economics (3 credits), psychology (6 credits) and anthropology (6 credits). For a long time I wanted to go to law school but market realities and the advice of lawyer relatives have steered me clear of that.

Now, the good (What I think MIGHT reflect well on me on an application):
Strength in Science: That one physics that I took (sophomore year), I did get a full A in. This means my science GPA technically currently stands at 4.0, though yes I have a LOT more science to take. I did also get a full A in each of those soft science classes I mentioned except a B in one of the psychologies. Not sure if any of these other than the physics factor into my "science GPA" as it will be considered on a D-school application, but it's still solid academic performance.

Upward trend: I did finally turn myself around at the tail end of college. I married my now-wife in the summer between my junior and senior year, and we promptly became pregnant, and I began to take college more seriously. As I mentioned, my overall UGPA was 3.49, however in my senior year it was about 3.85, on full loads of credits, while working part time to try to save up some money for my new family.

Military service: Still not knowing what I really wanted to be when I grew up, and law school no longer being an option (needed a real job, and fast), I joined the military as a naval flight officer. In that capacity I've deployed twice (total of about 17 months at sea) with all the sacrifices that entails, accumulated 1,000 flight hours in the E-2C Hawkeye and over 200 catapult shots and arrested landings. I finished up my fleet tour and now I'm on shore duty as an NROTC instructor at a regional university in the midwest. All the while my family has continued to grow. We are now up to three children with another on the way and have been happily married for nearly nine years now.

What I'm working on right now is finishing up my time in the Navy and taking all the D-school prerequisites except for the physics I already took (plenty of English/composition credits under my belt too). I'm just now finishing up the first semester of summer school chemistry and lab and am most likely looking at an A and an A- in these, respectively, for 5 credit hours. Second semester chem and lab the second half of this summer, then Bio 1 and 2 in the fall and spring, then Ochem 1 and 2 with labs next summer, take the DAT right after (mid-August timeframe), and apply to dental school, then depending on who (if anyone) takes me, finish the prerequisites accordingly and separate from the Navy in the summer of '16, take a few months off then hit the ground running.

I've been in the real world now for a while. Why do I want to be a dentist? I suppose I want a job that is more vocational and less managerial than what I do now, with flexible work-life balance but an income which will nevertheless support a large family. I also feel a deep spiritual need to redeem myself for my lazy ways as an undergrad by facing a new, tough set of academic challenges and succeeding. All that and my wife is in health care; she's an RN working on an MSN in Women's Health and Nurse Midwifery, and I find it very inspiring.

So, with all of the above said, and if you're still reading thank you, am I just engaging in mental masturbation here? Is dental school a plausible option at this point in my life? How much can these non-traditional factors serve to offset a mediocre GPA? Will it be enough, assuming I don't absolutely crush the DAT (I can't make life plans and decisions about getting out of the Navy based on such an assumption, so I'm assuming I get something in the 19 territory all around and if I do better, great).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Great story. Your GPA is not as horrible as you think. You are being perfectly realistic and you will be a very interesting applicant.

Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge on this forum and ask anything you are the least bit curious about. This site is a great resource and you can learn a ton.

@Goro is my personal favorite. He seems to be very helpful.

Good luck on your journey and most of all thank you for your service to our country.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ps... @Goro might not be very helpful for your personal journey through DENTISTRY school but I'm sure there are a million helpful people on the dentistry boards as well.

Mars, thanks for the encouragement! I know I'm probably being a little overly obsessive but I confess I'm highly ignorant about the whole process. I see lots of good schools which have median matriculant GPAs only slightly higher than my own, but then I hear countless (and I mean countless) stories of 3.8s and 3.9s being turned away, even with good DAT scores to boot. I have to wonder what gives in those cases. I guess I'm not only worried about the mediocre GPA, but also that it was a mediocre GPA earned 12-14 credits at a time. The thing is, if I had a magic machine that could put the adcoms in my head to experience my thoughts and feelings as their own, I KNOW they would realize that that 3.4 doesn't represent who I am today, but I realize I have no such machine so I have to build a new track record based on hard facts to prove it. That's why I'm very thankful for my current duty assignment as an NROTC instructor, because, as often as I've lamented my past and wished I could go back in time to college and change things, I realize that this job truly is the next best thing. It's the first real stepping stone on my new path to self actualization.

Though I am by no means an expert, I think you ought to explore some sort of activity which will indicate your interest in dentistry. That way, in a year or two or whatever, whenever you go to D school interviews you can say "I've always enjoyed dentistry and for the past 1-2 years I've showed consistent interest by volunteering/shadowing in this [dental related activity]." I think with your military service and assuming good grades and DAT scores you will have no problem finding a dental school that will take you. Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: 1 user
Good evening all! Prior lurker but first post. I am a non traditional student looking to apply to dental school in the 2015 cycle. I didn't realize this was what I wanted to do until just a few months ago. Seriously.

I'd like to introduce myself, share the credentials I do have, talk about what I'm still working on, and see where my non-traditional credentials might serve to break me out of the crowd (in good and bad ways). Please pardon the lengthy introduction and feel free to tell me TLDR.

First, the bad (what I think does NOT reflect well on me in a D-school application):
I'm 31 years old, I got my bachelor's from a major state university in the Southeast in political science in 2006. I suffered for a long time under the delusion that I was "not a science brain but into history and politics", not realizing that that was a cop out for not wanting to have to work hard in college. So I majored in political science and drifted along at about 13 credits a semester on average, but managed to graduate in 4 years with a combination of summer school and by-exam credits. My UGPA is 3.49 (non-URM) but the only hard science I took in college was one semester of physics, with a smattering of credits in the soft sciences including economics (3 credits), psychology (6 credits) and anthropology (6 credits). For a long time I wanted to go to law school but market realities and the advice of lawyer relatives have steered me clear of that.

Now, the good (What I think MIGHT reflect well on me on an application):
Strength in Science: That one physics that I took (sophomore year), I did get a full A in. This means my science GPA technically currently stands at 4.0, though yes I have a LOT more science to take. I did also get a full A in each of those soft science classes I mentioned except a B in one of the psychologies. Not sure if any of these other than the physics factor into my "science GPA" as it will be considered on a D-school application, but it's still solid academic performance.

Upward trend: I did finally turn myself around at the tail end of college. I married my now-wife in the summer between my junior and senior year, and we promptly became pregnant, and I began to take college more seriously. As I mentioned, my overall UGPA was 3.49, however in my senior year it was about 3.85, on full loads of credits, while working part time to try to save up some money for my new family.

Military service: Still not knowing what I really wanted to be when I grew up, and law school no longer being an option (needed a real job, and fast), I joined the military as a naval flight officer. In that capacity I've deployed twice (total of about 17 months at sea) with all the sacrifices that entails, accumulated 1,000 flight hours in the E-2C Hawkeye and over 200 catapult shots and arrested landings. I finished up my fleet tour and now I'm on shore duty as an NROTC instructor at a regional university in the midwest. All the while my family has continued to grow. We are now up to three children with another on the way and have been happily married for nearly nine years now.

What I'm working on right now is finishing up my time in the Navy and taking all the D-school prerequisites except for the physics I already took (plenty of English/composition credits under my belt too). I'm just now finishing up the first semester of summer school chemistry and lab and am most likely looking at an A and an A- in these, respectively, for 5 credit hours. Second semester chem and lab the second half of this summer, then Bio 1 and 2 in the fall and spring, then Ochem 1 and 2 with labs next summer, take the DAT right after (mid-August timeframe), and apply to dental school, then depending on who (if anyone) takes me, finish the prerequisites accordingly and separate from the Navy in the summer of '16, take a few months off then hit the ground running.

I've been in the real world now for a while. Why do I want to be a dentist? I suppose I want a job that is more vocational and less managerial than what I do now, with flexible work-life balance but an income which will nevertheless support a large family. I also feel a deep spiritual need to redeem myself for my lazy ways as an undergrad by facing a new, tough set of academic challenges and succeeding. All that and my wife is in health care; she's an RN working on an MSN in Women's Health and Nurse Midwifery, and I find it very inspiring.

So, with all of the above said, and if you're still reading thank you, am I just engaging in mental masturbation here? Is dental school a plausible option at this point in my life? How much can these non-traditional factors serve to offset a mediocre GPA? Will it be enough, assuming I don't absolutely crush the DAT (I can't make life plans and decisions about getting out of the Navy based on such an assumption, so I'm assuming I get something in the 19 territory all around and if I do better, great).
I've never posted, but here it goes. I am 31, graduated from undergrad nine years ago with a 3.2 and graduate school six years ago with a 3.6. I did not major in Poli-Sci, but international affairs. I too was under the impression that I could not cut it in science courses. Long story short, I got a masters, travelled, worked for some pretty powerful policy makers, including a member of the President's Cabinet. Due to an offer to work directly for a member of the Cabinet for a year, I have decided to postpone starting my prerequisites. So right now I am working and volunteering at a local hospital's ER. I love it, and hope to start my prerequisites at UMD Science in the Evening next year. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
OP here. Well, I ended up with the A in Chem 1 but a B+ in the lab. Hope it doesn't hurt me too much. Just keep moving forward. Already a third of the way through Chem 2 and lab this summer.

Bump with a grade update. A in Bio 1! This is huge because a major part of my application will be based on distancing myself from my old GPA.

Hey OP, you have amazing experiences so far. I'm sure with your interesting background, solid grades, and a solid DAT score you'll have no problem getting into Dental School. I'm wondering though if you posted this in the pre-dental forum as well? I believe this non-trad section is mainly frequented by pre-MD and pre-DO. I could be wrong. Good luck!

Bump with some updates. Organic chemistry grades just came un. F***ing lab. I hate lab. It's the only thing between me and a 4.0 BCP

I work with the Brigade Dentist on a regular basis. In my opinion, if you can get cgpa 3.40+ sgpa 3.4+ and DAT 20+, you will get into a dental school somewhere along with a shot at HPSP if you want to continue with your military service. I personally think that HPSP is a great deal for dental schools. For medical schools, it might be a good or bad depending on your specialization.