Non-trad contemplating a mainland Chinese MBBS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proclus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American citizen currently living in mainland China (I've been here for the past 2.5 years).

I am 30 years old, and a "recovering attorney". ;)

I am considering attending an English language MBBS program at Zhejiang University, which is in the top 5 or so such programs in mainland China.

It's a 5.5 year program, the last year of which consists of clinical rotations.

I would be doing so with a desire to match at a US residency (emergency medicine) and eventually practice in the United States or abroad; if I don't believe a have a good shot at an American residency, I don't think I will go through with it.

I am curious whether anyone can speak to what kind of negative perception I met receive by prospective residency directors based on my having attended medical school in China?

Many thanks for any and all comments or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

if you want to return to the US its better to go to a US school or even a caribbean school b/c they will teach you to the standards in the US rather then you going to learn it on your own after your MBBS. Again it all depends on where you want to end up.

also the caribbean is a 4 year program so you will save 1.5 years.

if you want to return to the US its better to go to a US school or even a caribbean school b/c they will teach you to the standards in the US rather then you going to learn it on your own after your MBBS. Again it all depends on where you want to end up.

also the caribbean is a 4 year program so you will save 1.5 years.

Hey there Mindscrew, thanks for the reply. :)

I would not be qualified to attend a US-style MD program (like those in the Caribbean). I was a Humanities major in college and as I understand it I would be lacking some of the science prereqs. So based on the amount of time necessary to complete those courses prior to starting a 4 year program I wouldn't really be saving any time.

The school I am contemplating attending in China is certified by the ECFMG and has been for over 10 years. What leads you to believe that they would not "teach you to the standards in the US"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please understand that i'm not bashing. I'm just speaking from experience of people that I know.

I have freinds that did the MBBS in China and were unable to pass the USMLE step 1. They ended up in biomedical research.

I have other friends that went to Pakistan (AGA Khan) which is considered one of the best programs in the Eastern part of the world. It took them an extra year to study for the USMLE. So a 5.5 year program can easily turn to 6-7 yrs.

also the terminology will be different. Will you be studying in english or manderin? **I just saw it is english. so that is good!** Also the pharmaceutical practices will be totally different and potentially the behavioral science part.

just my 2 cents

Please understand that i'm not bashing. I'm just speaking from experience of people that I know.

I have freinds that did the MBBS in China and were unable to pass the USMLE step 1. They ended up in biomedical research.

I have other friends that went to Pakistan (AGA Khan) which is considered one of the best programs in the Eastern part of the world. It took them an extra year to study for the USMLE. So a 5.5 year program can easily turn to 6-7 yrs.

also the terminology will be different. Will you be studying in english or manderin? **I just saw it is english. so that is good!** Also the pharmaceutical practices will be totally different and potentially the behavioral science part.

just my 2 cents

I don't think you're bashing, I appreciate all the opinions I can get here. :)

I was under the impression that the USMLE was a lot like the bar exam in law school: law school supposedly prepares you for it, but doesn't really, and if you don't prepare for it separately & intensely you're quite likely to fail.

Is that not the case with the USMLE?

Last edited:
I am an American citizen currently living in mainland China (I've been here for the past 2.5 years).

I am 30 years old, and a "recovering attorney". ;)

I am considering attending an English language MBBS program at Zhejiang University, which is in the top 5 or so such programs in mainland China.

It's a 5.5 year program, the last year of which consists of clinical rotations.

I would be doing so with a desire to match at a US residency (emergency medicine) and eventually practice in the United States or abroad; if I don't believe a have a good shot at an American residency, I don't think I will go through with it.

I am curious whether anyone can speak to what kind of negative perception I met receive by prospective residency directors based on my having attended medical school in China?

Many thanks for any and all comments or advice!

There's a forum that has a lot of experts in international students. You would probably get better advice there. We have a few U.S. immigrants here, but not many.

There's a forum that has a lot of experts in international students. You would probably get better advice there. We have a few U.S. immigrants here, but not many.

Thanks, Ed, but as I mentioned above I'm a US citizen ... not a prospective immigrant. ;)

right but you will be an international foreign medical graduate. also your requirement for the USMLE step 1 will be much higher coming from a foreign country.

question: what is your undergrad GPA?

if you have a good one, best to return to the US, do the prereqs and apply to the US. you are a citizen so will have opportunity in state.

right but you will be an international foreign medical graduate. also your requirement for the USMLE step 1 will be much higher coming from a foreign country.

question: what is your undergrad GPA?

if you have a good one, best to return to the US, do the prereqs and apply to the US. you are a citizen so will have opportunity in state.

I believe my undergrad GPA was around 3.1 at a top-40 US liberal arts college.

In other words, nothing special.

Here's the thing, medical school costs US $5000 per year here.

Read that last sentence again, for effect. I would graduate with $0 debt.

Also, I would prefer to spend the next 5 years in China, not the United States.

I came across a statistic that somewhere on the order of 70% of all foreign medical school graduates who were US citizens matched to a US medical residency; does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to support that?

I'm aware that the Caribbean schools are perceived as a legitimate option on this forum for those interested in matching at a US residency.

I'm interested in trying to sort out my chances for competing effectively for a residency coming from an English language MBBS program at a good school in mainland China.

Last edited:
1st thoughts w/o any personal experience:

1) There are IMG's that get into US residencies every year that are here on a visa. Obviously all else being equal you would have a step up on them as a citizen.

2) While some are recommending carribean; I don't see how that would improve things. You are still an IMG and given their board pass rates; the argument you would be better prepared for USMLE is strained at best.

3) Lastly, a US citizen living in California that moves to China (or the Dominican) for medical school has to explain why they didn't stay in the US. You will need to emphasis that you are ALREADY in China and in doing so I expect you will be looked at differently.

Honestly, the ONLY way to know for sure would be to pick a residency you think you have a fair interest in and email them and ask their opinions on a US citizen with a MBBS. DO make sure they realize you are already in China and not avoiding a US medical school.

I'm interested in trying to sort out my chances for competing effectively for a residency coming from an English language MBBS program at a good school in mainland China.

The Chinese program is going to be a disadvantage if you want to do residency in the states. Just how much of a disadvantage is impossible to predict, but some factors to consider are the factors that everyone has to consider (see this article).

How well will those factors listed in the article translate when you apply to a US residency? For example, letters of reference are highly important. How are your foreign letters of recommendation going to work for you (or against you) when you apply to the US residency?

Are your Chinese professors going to be viewed by US residency directors as people who understand what it takes to succeed in a US residency? Are they going to write you letters in fluid, fluent English that doesn't hinder their aesthetic presentation of you? Are they going to be able to compare you to other applicants they have known who went on to be successful at certain residencies?

If you're okay with residencies that often go unfilled (family/internal) then you might not be at such a disadvantage.

Look at this table, paying special attention to the "US IMG" column. Already, US IMG's are at a disadvantage compared to US allopathic graduates. But remember, that the US IMG column will include US citizens who went to medical school at Caribbean schools, and everything else being equal those students are going to be more attractive than a Chinese-trained US citizen.

--------------------------------------------------​

Bottom line: Train for the job you want. If you want to practice medicine in the US, train in the US.

But remember, that the US IMG column will include US citizens who went to medical school at Caribbean schools, and everything else being equal those students are going to be more attractive than a Chinese-trained US citizen.

Can you back this up with any facts?

As a patient, I would rather an expat Dr that went to school where he lived because he was there; rather than some kids from the midwest that couldn't get into a US school but found a carribean one that would take his $$ in exchange for a degree.

I can't speak for the specifics of the program the OP is looking at in China, but China has over a billion LIVING people in it so a top-5 school while different can't provide a bad education.

Can you back this up with any facts?

I can't site a freaking study or anything, but I'm personally satisfied that this is true.

Look at the match lists for the "big four" Caribbean schools and the match results that I linked to up above... you can pretty quickly do the math and see that the big four account for basically all of the US IMG's. I couldn't find a match list for Zhejiang University (a red flag in itself), but based on simple arithmetic they couldn't possibly be placing many US citizens in residencies.

As a patient, I would rather an expat Dr that went to school where he lived because he was there; rather than some kids from the midwest that couldn't get into a US school but found a carribean one that would take his $$ in exchange for a degree.

The OP has GPA = 3.1 and is missing pre-reqs. He wouldn't be competitive for a Caribbean school.

If you ask me, the person who follows this path:

Can't get into US school ---> Can't get into Caribbean school ---> Go to China​

Is more questionable than the person who follows this path:

Can't get into US school ---> Go to Caribbean school​

The fact that he currently lives in China makes it convenient for him to go to medical school, and yes Caribbean school tuition does seem exorbitant. But remove those factors from consideration: If the OP was currently living in the US and if this Chinese medical school charged the same tuition as Caribbean schools, wouldn't it seem even more questionable to go to the school in China than a Caribbean school?

If the Chinese school raised their tuition above Caribbean schools, then it would be more clearly an exchange of money for degree. But they probably can't demand that kind of money from American students because they don't offer as much to American students as Caribbean schools do. They don't have US clinical years, for example.

What I'm getting at is that the Caribbean schools clearly exchange medical education for money. What's the evidence that this Chinese school is operating any differently? Just because they charge less doesn't mean it's not the same exchange in principle. But they clearly don't have some of the same advantages as the Caribbean schools, and it doesn't seem that they're matching US students to US residencies in numbers that are appreciable.

China has over a billion LIVING people in it so a top-5 school while different can't provide a bad education

It's probably a fine school... but notice that the OP didn't say it was a top-5 medical school.

What he said was that it is "an English language MBBS program... which is in the top 5 or so such programs" How many English language programs do you think they have? My guess is not many. Ten or so? So if it's in the top 5 out of 10, where does that put it?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, most of the people posting in this forum are Americans who plan to go to American schools, and as such, cannot advise you on this. Moving to the Asia International Forum.

Look at the match lists for the "big four" Caribbean schools and the match results that I linked to up above... you can pretty quickly do the math and see that the big four account for basically all of the US IMG's. I couldn't find a match list for Zhejiang University (a red flag in itself), but based on simple arithmetic they couldn't possibly be placing many US citizens in residencies.

I looked at the document you provided, thank you.

Where do you see that the big four Caribbean schools account for basically all of US IMG's?

Also, where did you search and fail to find a match list for Zhejiang Uni?

What he said was that it is "an English language MBBS program... which is in the top 5 or so such programs" How many English language programs do you think they have? My guess is not many. Ten or so? So if it's in the top 5 out of 10, where does that put it?

Solely for clarification: Zhejiang Uni is a top-5 (usually #3) in China. Fairly few Chinese Universities offer english language language MBBS programs, and ZJU is one of those.

Also, the specialty I am most interested in is emergency medicine, which based on what I've read is moderately competitive. I am not vehemently opposed to being an internist or a family doctor.

Last edited:
I looked at the document you provided, thank you.

Where do you see that the big four Caribbean schools account for basically all of US IMG's?

Also, where did you search and fail to find a match list for Zhejiang Uni?

Solely for clarification: Zhejiang Uni is a top-5 (usually #3) in China. Fairly few Chinese Universities offer english language language MBBS programs, and ZJU is one of those.

Also, the specialty I am most interested in is emergency medicine, which based on what I've read is moderately competitive. I am not vehemently opposed to being an internist or a family doctor.

You dont' seem very perceptive to people's opinion ey?
The general folks here are advising you that if going back to the US is what u really want to do, a china MBBS, cheap as it is, is the last thing u want to do.

Zhejiang is indeed a top university in China and it's top graduates usually win scholarships to top US unis. But these are the engineering graduates. It's English taugh MBBS is virtually unheard of, totally new ( i believe the first batch has not graduated) and if you have bothered to look at their cirriculum, it consist of maths, physics and the likes, which make for weird subjects to study for a doctor. If you bothered to do some research into other forum, u will also know that prior to student feedback, they were using Chinese medical textbooks and only recently switch to English ones...and if u had bothered to even find out more, the MBBS doesn't have much clinical exposure and real clinical exposure comes when u do a Master in Medicine or Doctor of medicine stretching into 3 more years of study.

Fact is, none of the china medical students do this program. The real elite Chinese medical students do a different program in Chinese. This program is meant to milk overseas people desperate for a medical education ( someone like you?) with low entry requirements.

Next, do u know what is ECFGM certified? It doesn't refer to a school. It refers to a medical graduate who wants to work in the US. Not only do u have to pass USMLE 1, u must be EFCGM certified,ie pass a serious of simulated patient test which is believed to be what a physician in the US will encounter, which in the case of a china trained physician ( and a poorly trained one maybe) isn't going to pass easily...and how is Zhejiang a ECFMG certified school when the list isn't ready for another 12 years?

http://www.ecfmg.org/accreditation/index.html

And how are u going to get clinical exposure in the US to apply for residency? This program doesn't even have much clinical exposure in the first place, so how are u going to find time to do a half year stint in the US? And with what this program teaches, can u even pass USMLE 1?

you dun seem to know a lot of things ( inclusive of the fact that emergency medicine is a competitive specialty in the US ) and blindly believes that just getting into a course with MBBS in it will let u have a shot at practicing in the US.

and who knows, it might. Tell us 5-6 years later if u succeeded or have totally regretted spending 5-6 years of your time.

To me, u are just blindly looking for confirmation to a choice which u hope is correct and refusing to take in anything. Yes, it's cheap at $5K US per year, but if something is too good to be true, it's too good to be true. Why do u think Canadian grads spend hundreds of K going to Australia, UK to study instead of going to china? Or if china schools are any good, will people even want to go to Caribbean schools? 30 years of age...yet totally lacking sensibilities...pls dun become a doctor, i worry for your patients.

Hello cosycactus,

While I appreciate your reply, I think you would do well not to make so many unfounded assumptions, and not take so hostile a tone. ;)

You dont' seem very perceptive to people's opinion ey?
The general folks here are advising you that if going back to the US is what u really want to do, a china MBBS, cheap as it is, is the last thing u want to do.

On the contrary, I am quite cognizant that many here advise against my proposed course of action. I'm simply trying to sort out whether they have well-founded reasons for feeling that way or not.

Zhejiang is indeed a top university in China and it's top graduates usually win scholarships to top US unis. But these are the engineering graduates. It's English taugh MBBS is virtually unheard of, totally new ( i believe the first batch has not graduated) and if you have bothered to look at their cirriculum, it consist of maths, physics and the likes, which make for weird subjects to study for a doctor.

The program began in 2006. It's first batch graduates in 2012. Thus a lack of statistical evidence for successful US residency matches, and the reason why I am here asking around in the first place.

The math & science curriculum exists because this is a british-style MBBS program which requires a high school-level education, not at MD program which requires an undergraduate-level education.

If you bothered to do some research into other forum, u will also know that prior to student feedback, they were using Chinese medical textbooks and only recently switch to English ones...and if u had bothered to even find out more, the MBBS doesn't have much clinical exposure and real clinical exposure comes when u do a Master in Medicine or Doctor of medicine stretching into 3 more years of study.

This is not my understanding at all. The entire last year of the 5.5 year program consists of clinical rotations.

Fact is, none of the china medical students do this program. The real elite Chinese medical students do a different program in Chinese.

Of course they do. THEY ARE CHINESE. They speak their own languge with far greater fluency than English (on average), and the degree awarded is geared for the Chinese medical market, not the Western one.

This program is meant to milk overseas people desperate for a medical education ( someone like you?) with low entry requirements.

My primary desire in this thread is to determine whether the above statement is true any more so than for the Caribbean schools.

Next, do u know what is ECFGM certified? It doesn't refer to a school. It refers to a medical graduate who wants to work in the US.

Your statement is inaccurate. The school in general must be ECFGM certified (by way of IMED & FAIMER) before an individual student can be. Zhejiang has been so certified since 1998 (https://imed.faimer.org/details.asp...ou&region=AS&rname=Asia&mcode=243700&psize=25).
Not only do u have to pass USMLE 1, u must be EFCGM certified,ie pass a serious of simulated patient test which is believed to be what a physician in the US will encounter, which in the case of a china trained physician ( and a poorly trained one maybe) isn't going to pass easily...and how is Zhejiang a ECFMG certified school when the list isn't ready for another 12 years?

See above.

And how are u going to get clinical exposure in the US to apply for residency? This program doesn't even have much clinical exposure in the first place, so how are u going to find time to do a half year stint in the US? And with what this program teaches, can u even pass USMLE 1?

I have been told that Zhejiang is open to it's seniors completing their last year clinical rotations abroad, conceivably in the US. It's something I'm still confirming. As for the USMLE 1, my understanding is that it's like the bar exam for lawyers: you have to study for it separately. If you expect to pass based on what you're learning in class you've got it backwards.

you dun seem to know a lot of things ( inclusive of the fact that emergency medicine is a competitive specialty in the US ) and blindly believes that just getting into a course with MBBS in it will let u have a shot at practicing in the US.

I am well aware that emergency medicine is considered a "moderately competitive" specialty in the US.

and who knows, it might. Tell us 5-6 years later if u succeeded or have totally regretted spending 5-6 years of your time.

To me, u are just blindly looking for confirmation to a choice which u hope is correct and refusing to take in anything. Yes, it's cheap at $5K US per year, but if something is too good to be true, it's too good to be true. Why do u think Canadian grads spend hundreds of K going to Australia, UK to study instead of going to china? Or if china schools are any good, will people even want to go to Caribbean schools?

The Chinese schools are new. They are in that regard something of an unknown quantity because, particularly in the case of my school, the first batch has yet to graduate.

30 years of age...yet totally lacking sensibilities...pls dun become a doctor, i worry for your patients.

I think you need to learn to check your assumptions. ;)

Hello cosycactus,

While I appreciate your reply, I think you would do well not to make so many unfounded assumptions, and not take so hostile a tone. ;)

On the contrary, I am quite cognizant that many here advise against my proposed course of action. I'm simply trying to sort out whether they have well-founded reasons for feeling that way or not.

The program began in 2006. It's first batch graduates in 2012. Thus a lack of statistical evidence for successful US residency matches, and the reason why I am here asking around in the first place.

The math & science curriculum exists because this is a british-style MBBS program which requires a high school-level education, not at MD program which requires an undergraduate-level education.

This is not my understanding at all. The entire last year of the 5.5 year program consists of clinical rotations.

Of course they do. THEY ARE CHINESE. They speak their own languge with far greater fluency than English (on average), and the degree awarded is geared for the Chinese medical market, not the Western one.

My primary desire in this thread is to determine whether the above statement is true any more so than for the Caribbean schools.

Your statement is inaccurate. The school in general must be ECFGM certified (by way of IMED & FAIMER) before an individual student can be. Zhejiang has been so certified since 1998 (https://imed.faimer.org/details.asp...ou&region=AS&rname=Asia&mcode=243700&psize=25).

See above.

I have been told that Zhejiang is open to it's seniors completing their last year clinical rotations abroad, conceivably in the US. It's something I'm still confirming. As for the USMLE 1, my understanding is that it's like the bar exam for lawyers: you have to study for it separately. If you expect to pass based on what you're learning in class you've got it backwards.

I am well aware that emergency medicine is considered a "moderately competitive" specialty in the US.

The Chinese schools are new. They are in that regard something of an unknown quantity because, particularly in the case of my school, the first batch has yet to graduate.

I think you need to learn to check your assumptions. ;)

i dun like to mince my words. And now i dun really see the point of your post at all since u also know that none of the zhejiang students have graduate to try for a residency...so why are u asking for opinons when probably none exist?
1 year of clinical rotation is hardly enough. MD/graduate entry programs have 2 years of pure clinical rotations with many offering patient contact straight in the first year. British style mbbs offers at least 3 years of clinical rotation. Medical education isn't about giving u all the sci and then u can cure the patient. It's about observing and know how to behave as a doc (which is part of the healing/curing process) and u need time to learn over years...

You will be surprised. If the English MBBS is any good, how many Chinese will jump to study it, b/c this means a chance for them to improve on their English, converse in it professionally and get a job overseas esp in the US/UK/AUS. I've seen Chinese students who studied till high school in Chinese going to English countries mastering a new language and doing very well in their degree. These folks are not adverse to difficulties..

Hmmm, you mean you dun expect at least some of the cirriculum to help u with the USMLE? Wow, then someone might as well have been majoring in history and then study for the USMLE separately. These 2 are inseparable.

oh yes, btw, even in european style mbbs, there is no maths, physics, organic chemistry components.

you see, at the end of the day, it's your choice. We are an evil lot of people here who realized you have stumbled on a very cheap form of medical education and out of pure envy and jealousy, has been trying to dissuade you from what is an absolutely brilliant and promising path.

yea, that's us..evil narrow minded folks with lots of unfounded assumptions.
yea, go prove us wrong.

go.go.go :laugh:

i dun like to mince my words.

No, you don't.

You don't seem to care much for grammar, spelling, or common standards of courtesy, either.

That being said, I appreciate your thoughts and the time it took you to post them.

Reactions: 1 user
from medbd.ca.gov ~

Zhejiang Medical College
Zgejiang University School of Medicine

I'm not sure if you want to or eventually plan to practice in CA, but the school being on this list could be an indicator of the acceptance of its education. Is that program in one of these schools?

If so:
good- The medical board of CA has stringent criteria for accepting physician licenses from abroad, and several states defer to CA's list as to what schools provide acceptable medical education.

potentially not so good- "Note: Students from some recognized international medical schools may have deficiencies in their training and will not meet the requirements for licensure in CA. Any training deficiencies will require remedial training prior to licensure in CA." - and therefore, all the states that defer to CA's approval (many states)
- If emergency medicine is your goal, it might be best to pursue your education in the U.S.
- If you are truly okay with Internal medicine/ Primary, the bright side is: you will definitely have a residency position (assuming passing MLE's and rotation criteria) due to the severe (and worstening) primary care crisis the U.S. is currently going through. Might not be a bad way to go- I personally believe the pay system for primary care providers could eventually change for the better since the health system is changing dramatically anyway.

The English Program at your proposed school: note from the info detailing the list that if the said program is taught in English, and if it is new, it still has to apply for recognition to be listed explicitly as, in your case, "Zhejiang school of Medicine English program (5.5 year English program).

That being said, it is important to recognize here that- even foreign schools teaching in foreign language (like in Chinese) are approved by the CA medical board, although the english based education from the same school is not. Bureaucracy. Also, it has also been established that there are successfully practicing physicians in the U.S. from those programs, but not specifically from the English based ones, even though they are based out of the same school in some instances.

Bottom line- do you speak fluent Chinese? If so, and if you must attend a school there, maybe it would be best to stick to the schools listed (even if the education is Chinese based, if it's not a problem for you) and just cover your bases in terms of MLE performance and rotation requirements.

Last edited:
OP, write the MCAT first and see how well you do on it. With a potentially stellar MCAT score, it may balance out your undergrad GPA. Also, look into the post-bacc programs in the United States and finish your prerequisites there. If you are set on doing residency in the US, attending a medical school in China is probably not the best route to take. Carribean schools are better known to US residency program directors than Chinese med schools simply because very few American citizens actually choose to matriculate at the latter.

from medbd.ca.gov ~

Bottom line- do you speak fluent Chinese? If so, and if you must attend a school there, maybe it would be best to stick to the schools listed (even if the education is Chinese based, if it's not a problem for you) and just cover your bases in terms of MLE performance and rotation requirements.

OP actually came upon an inexpensive and quality way to study medicine. Just need to figure out how to be matched into US residency.

Agreed. If you know enough Chinese, you should study in Chinese (mandarin-taught). If you don't , then learn about 2,000 common Chinese characters and speak passable mandarin, then you can pass Chinese language tests and communicate with professors. You've been in China for 3 years. You can do it!

CA approves Chinese MBBS, but not English one. With CA approval, you basically can have 50-states approval. This no different than the Big 4 Carib schools (50 states approved), except the one thing they have is clinical rotations on US soil.

Chinese MBBS progs have 1 year of pure rotations. Can someone do 20+ weeks of rotations on US soil? And how to go about getting American clinical experience? For licensing purposes, does US require 72 weeks?

Last edited:
hey proclus, why not consider this program?
http://www.bethhealth.com
you go to china medical university in shenyang for four years, then you go to new york medical college for your 5th year for supervised clinical rotations. Upon completion you can apply for the residency match in the US.
PM me if you want more details
oh and also you basically get double the clinical experience because the university affiliated hospital over there has around 6,000+
hospital beds which means you get a lot of exposure.

Did you end up at Zhejiang University MBBS program? Do you have a list of the best MBBS programs for US students? I know this post is old but I hope to hear from you Doc.