Non-trad extracurriculars question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchngr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all the non-trad DO applicants. How many extracurriculars did you list or will list on the AACOMAS application? I have recent clinical experience, but my volunteer work and research work occurred 10 years ago. With a full time job and classes at night, I just don't have time for anything else. Anybody else in the same boat? Also did you non-trads fill up all the spaces for extracurriculars on AACOMAS? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

careerchngr said:
Question for all the non-trad DO applicants. How many extracurriculars did you list or will list on the AACOMAS application? I have recent clinical experience, but my volunteer work and research work occurred 10 years ago. With a full time job and classes at night, I just don't have time for anything else. Anybody else in the same boat? Also did you non-trads fill up all the spaces for extracurriculars on AACOMAS? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Hehe. Yeah, I know what you're saying. Esp. with the NSU-COM online app - it just lets you pick from a drop down menu; NONE of actitivites listed were things I participated in. I didn't worry about it, and just listed the activities I enjoy doing - ie. hiking, gardening, cooking, reading. I graduated ten years ago, so anything I did back in college isn't really pertinent to my life now. I remember wishing I had some more things to fill in the space, but obviously it didn't matter too much as I got in everywhere I interviewed. Just list some activities not related to medicine/academics so they know you don't have tunnel vision (anymore than is normal for pre-med students) and you'll be fine.

careerchngr said:
I work nights and school during the day so I understand. I filled them all, and some things fit in both critera ex..woodworking but I did it for habit for humanity or cycling to raise money for MS...so that's both catagory. put all your volunteer/clinical/hospital work (cram it in there) regardless of age. you did it so get the credit!

chopstick1 said:
I work nights and school during the day so I understand. I filled them all, and some things fit in both critera ex..woodworking but I did it for habit for humanity or cycling to raise money for MS...so that's both catagory. put all your volunteer/clinical/hospital work (cram it in there) regardless of age. you did it so get the credit!

Ditto Chopsticks' comments. Sometimes it helps to have someone who knows you, go over the things they think you've done. You may not even remember all the stuff you've done, or even think it's noteworthy... whereas someone else may have a bit more of an unbiased eye for such things.

After talking to family members, I put down all sorts of things I had somewhat "forgotten" about (or didn't think they applied). Like 2 years as a seasonal firefighter in Calif... we did medical-aid calls too!!!

If you did it, it counts!

Best of luck!