Non-trad/first time app: Advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydrogen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-35R MCAT (14PS/12BS/9VR)
-3.56 undergrad
-3.9 graduate (both chemical engineering, will finish graduate school next spring, but I have taken all of the classes for the degree so my GPA is fixed)

-8 mo research chemistry lab
-12 mo research engineering lab
-no publications yet
-100 hours surgery waiting room
-40 hours volunteer waiting room
-150 hours Crisis Response Councelor
-50 hours physician shadow between two family practice docs
-also less significant tutor/TA positions

My concerns are that I had a terrible senior year during undergrad two C's. Also, my first MCAT was terrible 23R (11PS/8BS/4VR). Anyway, my residency is Washington State and I would really like to get into UW or OHSU. What do you guys think my chances are for getting into these schools specifically, and any school during this cycle period. I should be submitting my application in the next couple of days.:)

Your chance of getting into at least one allopathic schools looks to be about 64%.

Okay, here is my list:

Albany
Creighton
Duke
George Washington
NY Medical college
Oregon HSU
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SUNY @ Buffalo
Tulane
University of Arizona-Tuscon
University of Washington (my state school)

What are my chances of getting an acceptance? Do I need to add more "low-tier" schools? Please be as critical as possible, you wont hurt my feelings.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list has a reasonable degree of variety in selectivity. I think adding at least three more schools is a good idea, since with widely disparate stats, you don't know how schools will weigh yuour cGPA and MCAT score relatively. Consider maybe Loyola, SLU, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion, EVMS?

You may wish to clarify with OHSU about their out of state admissions policy. They say on their website that you need a "cumulative total GPA" of 3.65 or higher. I interpret this to mean undergraduate total GPA, but you might want to find out if they include your graduate GPA into their cutoff.

Your list has a reasonable degree of variety in selectivity. I think adding at least three more schools is a good idea, since with widely disparate stats, you don't know how schools will weigh yuour cGPA and MCAT score relatively. Consider maybe Loyola, SLU, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion, EVMS?

Ya, I think I will add three or four more of these schools to my list. I can't afford to apply to too many schools, but I want to make sure that I give myself a really good shot. I am submitting my application today. Will I be at a disadvantage for not submitting earlier?

You may wish to clarify with OHSU about their out of state admissions policy. They say on their website that you need a "cumulative total GPA" of 3.65 or higher. I interpret this to mean undergraduate total GPA, but you might want to find out if they include your graduate GPA into their cutoff.

Dang, I saw that too and I thought it said 3.65 OR above 32 on MCAT. I think that this is just for preference at the school and your still welcome to apply otherwise. As far as my graduate GPA factoring in I am not sure, but will try and get ahold of someone.

Ya, I think I will add three or four more of these schools to my list. I can't afford to apply to too many schools, but I want to make sure that I give myself a really good shot. I am submitting my application today. Will I be at a disadvantage for not submitting earlier?
I doubt it. Most schools won't begin to look at completed applications until after August 1 (though you'll get some Secondaries before then). It will take you several weeks to get verified if you apply now, but you should be good to go around then. Once you submit, consider starting to work on your Secondary essays as they become available in the School Specific forum, so your turn-around time to submit them once invited is minimal.