Non trad - GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rookiealltheway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an under grad from a foreign( engineering) and masters (engineering) from an american university. we didn't have the gpa scale and i stood at about 2 to 5th in a class of 50 in my under grad. i ve a 3.7 gpa in my masters.
my question is, i am taking 18 credits this year in a post bac program ( 3 science courses, 2 art courses and 3 labs) for pre reqs. I am able get around B+ and A- in all the courses.mostly A-. does this reflect badly when applying to med school? do i need to have straight A's? any assurance would go a long way.
Any suggestions?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

so many views and not a single person could venture an opinion!

I have an under grad from a foreign( engineering) and masters (engineering) from an american university. we didn't have the gpa scale and i stood at about 2 to 5th in a class of 50 in my under grad. i ve a 3.7 gpa in my masters.
my question is, i am taking 18 credits this year in a post bac program ( 3 science courses, 2 art courses and 3 labs) for pre reqs. I am able get around B+ and A- in all the courses.mostly A-. does this reflect badly when applying to med school? do i need to have straight A's? any assurance would go a long way.
Any suggestions?

Thank you

Having a graduate GPA with your rankings is great.

But to get into a dental (or medical) school in the USA, you need to:
1) have all the pre-reqs done (which it seems like your working on it on your post-bacc)
2) most schools require AT LEAST 90 credits of USA college credit (I am assuming you can do a 90-credit post-bacc, althought I think its best if you just went a head and obtained a 2nd bachelors degree)..... I only say this because I don't know how USA dental/medical schools look upon undergrad degrees obtained from other countries.

Your asking about Grades, and A- is a great mark irrespective of what background you have. Im sure your masters program was intense and challenging, but being a pre-dental/pre-medical student is not easy task. Those pre-requisets are no joke ESSPECIALLY for an engineering major cause engineers are not too used to biology, it could be daunting at first the amount of reading and memorization they have to go through. I come from the software engineering / math background and I remember when I took basic 100-level biologies I almost died, there was SOOO MUCH READING AND MEMORIZATION, I was sooo unfamilure with it..... So point I am trying to make, don't worry about B+ or A-, keep your post-bacc GPA above 3.5 and you will be in great shape... Okay?

Good luck to you