Non trad- long story- some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torshi81

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! After many years of lurking I am posting with the hope of some advice! Thanks in advance for reading. I'll try to make this short (sorry)!

I graduated with a b.s. in business administration (marketing) in 02' and due to a very poor start I ended up with a cGpa- 2.97 (with an upward trend). I'm not sure what my sGpa would be as I only took 2 math classes and one science class (one D+ and two As).

I worked a couple years, and I made the decision to try for dental school. This is not a decision I made lightly and in a rushed manner.

So after the birth of my first child I began to take my pre-reqs at night at a local university. So far I have taken chem1&2, and physics1 (earning the highest grade in each class) while taking care of an infant full time.

I am currently pregnant again (bad timing but oh well) and plan on taking ochem1, bio1 and physics 2 in my second and third trimester and then taking the spring semester for maternity leave.

I have several questions.

1. Do I need ochem2 for the DAT? (Different sources argue whether ochem2 is actually needed and my dentist friends are split on this as well.)

2. For fall 2017 matriculation I wouldn't be able to apply early (June 2016) as I wouldn't be able to take my DAT until mid August (after completing bio2 during a summer session). Would mid-August or early September be too late to apply?

3. Other than the pre-reqs, how important are the recommended coursework? I was planning on taking some recommended coursework concurrently with applying.

4. How many hours of shadowing would be the bare necessity? I would love to try for 100 hours of shadowing but am unsure whether it's realistic. I think I'm ok for volunteering and ECs since in undergrad, law school, and beyond I have been a leader in many public interest groups and I am a long standing and active board member of a community organization serving senior citizens.

5. Any other advice? I am very open to others opinions and would really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading this long ass entry and for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! After many years of lurking I am posting with the hope of some advice! Thanks in advance for reading. I'll try to make this short (sorry)!

I graduated with a b.s. in business administration (marketing) in 02' and due to a very poor start I ended up with a cGpa- 2.97 (with an upward trend). I'm not sure what my sGpa would be as I only took 2 math classes and one science class (one D+ and two As).

I worked a couple years, attended law school, earned my JD in 08' (with a Gpa of 3.35), passed the bar and practiced for several years as a plaintiff's attorney. After many years of research and debate (and hating the actual practice of law...) I made the decision to try for dental school. This is not a decision I made lightly and in a rushed manner.

So after the birth of my first child I began to take my pre-reqs at night at a local university. So far I have taken chem1&2, and physics1 (earning the highest grade in each class) while taking care of an infant full time.

I am currently pregnant again (bad timing but oh well ) and plan on taking ochem1, bio1 and physics 2 in my second and third trimester and then taking the spring semester for maternity leave.

I have several questions.

1. Do I need ochem2 for the DAT? (Different sources argue whether ochem2 is actually needed and my dentist friends are split on this as well.)

2. For fall 2017 matriculation I wouldn't be able to apply early (June 2016) as I wouldn't be able to take my DAT until mid August (after completing bio2 during a summer session). Would mid-August or early September be too late to apply?

3. Other than the pre-reqs, how important are the recommended coursework? I was planning on taking some recommended coursework concurrently with applying.

4. How many hours of shadowing would be the bare necessity? I would love to try for 100 hours of shadowing but am unsure whether it's realistic. I think I'm ok for volunteering and ECs since in undergrad, law school, and beyond I have been a leader in many public interest groups and I am a long standing and active board member of a community organization serving senior citizens.

5. Any other advice? I am very open to others opinions and would really appreciate it.

1. No, you can just self-study the parts that shows up on the DAT. I hardly remembered anything I learned from school and had to learn it all over again.

2. Not too late, but it would put you at a bit of disadvantage. However, better score > earlier application.

3. No idea.

4. I think you would at least need like 60 depending on how strong your academics are. I strongly recommend at least 80.

5. Just make sure your DAT score is solid since your GPA isn't on the strong side.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good portion of Ochem2 section was on the actual exam for me.

A lot of schools do require ochem2, so I would suggest just taking it so you don't limit yourself.

@Kellogg321 ok. Thanks for the heads up

@Bifenthrin I will be taking ochem2, just trying to figure out if I can take the DAT without first taking it. Thanks though!

I'm a non-trad a few years older than you who got accepted this cycle. I had to rush a few things to get everything together this round.

1: Need? No. Will it help? Almost certainly. I took the DAT only having self-studied organic chemistry. It's reflected in my score. But I was only going for acceptable on that section, did well on the rest, and have a pretty strong background otherwise. With a low GPA, I'd want to knock it out of the park on every section.

2: I took it in late September and submitted around then. Whether this is advisable largely depends on the school to which you're applying. Don't count on getting interviews early in the cycle at least.

3: It's not going to hurt to do the recommended coursework so long as you do well.

4: Depends on the school.

5: One thing I was told that probably applies to you as well was to make sure to have a personal statement that clearly and powerfully communicates why you're switching careers. I was several years into a career in which I was rising very quickly, had plenty of opportunity for further growth, and making a lot of money. I explained where dissatisfaction had arisen and how dentistry offered me opportunities to fix them.