Non-Trad Looking for Post Bacc Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HammerDown15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bacc career changer looking to apply to schools in October 2014. I have been looking at Temple University, University of Louisville, and CSU-NEOMED's post-bacc programs for completion of the pre-reqs. Can anyone give any advice on my chances of admission to these 3 programs? I would appreciate any suggestions for other programs that have assured admissions or linkage programs. Hopefully having some science classes and having already taken the MCAT once will not exclude me from these programs.

-UG GPA=3.367 (BS Political Science) sGPA= ~3.5 (Bio 1&2, A&P 1&2, Micro, Chem 1)

-MBA (will graduate in February 2015) with >3.85 GPA

-MCAT in 2009 (22-O) I know now that taking it before O.Chem was a huge mistake.

-I have worked in healthcare full-time for 6 years (ENT for 5.5 yrs and IM/PEDS for about 6 months) I have been a medical assistant, scheduler, biller/coder, and now I am the practice manager. I still assist the doctor with all of her office procedures including excisions of skin lesions, head and neck masses, myringotomies, and needle biopsies. I have observed 2 ENTs and an Orthopedic surgeon in the OR. My work in the IM/Peds office was mainly referrals but I did some shadowing and plan to do more before applying. I am also going to shadow a General Surgeon and hopefully CT surgeons.

-Volunteer activities are limited to a few civic groups of which I am a member

-I have worked since I was 16 and worked throughout my undergraduate years.

-The ENT that I work with currently is really supportive of my decision to complete a post-bacc program and attend medical school. She has already voiced a strong desire to write a stellar recommendation letter. The IM/Peds physician that I still talk to has also offered to write a recommendation letter. I doubt that I could contact any of my old UG science professors to write a good letter since it has been several years since I was in school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a post-bacc career changer looking to apply to schools in October 2014. I have been looking at Temple University, University of Louisville, and CSU-NEOMED's post-bacc programs for completion of the pre-reqs. Can anyone give any advice on my chances of admission to these 3 programs? I would appreciate any suggestions for other programs that have assured admissions or linkage programs. Hopefully having some science classes and having already taken the MCAT once will not exclude me from these programs.

-UG GPA=3.367 (BS Political Science) sGPA= ~3.5 (Bio 1&2, A&P 1&2, Micro, Chem 1)

-MBA (will graduate in February 2015) with >3.85 GPA

-MCAT in 2009 (22-O) I know now that taking it before O.Chem was a huge mistake.

-I have worked in healthcare full-time for 6 years (ENT for 5.5 yrs and IM/PEDS for about 6 months) I have been a medical assistant, scheduler, biller/coder, and now I am the practice manager. I still assist the doctor with all of her office procedures including excisions of skin lesions, head and neck masses, myringotomies, and needle biopsies. I have observed 2 ENTs and an Orthopedic surgeon in the OR. My work in the IM/Peds office was mainly referrals but I did some shadowing and plan to do more before applying. I am also going to shadow a General Surgeon and hopefully CT surgeons.

-Volunteer activities are limited to a few civic groups of which I am a member

-I have worked since I was 16 and worked throughout my undergraduate years.

-The ENT that I work with currently is really supportive of my decision to complete a post-bacc program and attend medical school. She has already voiced a strong desire to write a stellar recommendation letter. The IM/Peds physician that I still talk to has also offered to write a recommendation letter. I doubt that I could contact any of my old UG science professors to write a good letter since it has been several years since I was in school.
Consider asking your question in SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just study to retake the MCAT and then apply DO instead of wasting ~$50k on a post-bac program?