About the ads

Non-trad looking into new career path

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by stc55, Feb 20, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. stc55

stc55

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am currently set to graduate in December with a degree in special education, but I have decided to make a career change and try to become a Podiatrist. I have a 3.8 undergrad gpa, but still have to basically take all of the pre-reqs. My question is, will it be frowned upon if I take my pre-reqs at a community college just solely for the reason of cost?
    Thanks, and I apologize if this has been asked before.
  2. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Tough question. Answer is...it MIGHT be frowned upon. If you are interested in particular podiatry schools it might be best to call the those particular admissions offices and get their opinion on your situation. You have a phenominal undergrad GPA and are off to the right start.
  3. glifferth

glifferth

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was in a similar situation as you and took physics, o-chems and all my labs at a community college and I was accepted . Most people on these boards would say it is better to take them at a university but when I called all of the admissions offices, I was told it depends on the individuals situation. My university would have charged me graduate level tuition if I would have continued to take classes there, even though they were undergrad level.... that and I moved 45 minutes north of the university and didn't have the desire to commute.

It will help that you have already taken a lot of classes at a university too, just make sure you get good grades in all the classes. The Community College I attended had a lot of pre-pharmacy/Dental/Med students who most got into their programs. The classes were taught by retired college professors (even a former med school board of admissions member) who used the same standards of testing/grading as what was used at the universities. Good Luck!
  4. 347932

Attending Physician
    The best answer is it depends. With your undergrad GPA, if you score well on the pre-reqs at a CC, then you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure to get over 3.5 on those courses and you'll be g2g.
  5. Ferocity

Ferocity

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You'll be fine.
  6. unitix

unitix

Pre-Podiatry
    SDN 5+ Year Member

I love your 3-4 word answers lol