Non-trad looking into new career path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stc55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently set to graduate in December with a degree in special education, but I have decided to make a career change and try to become a Podiatrist. I have a 3.8 undergrad gpa, but still have to basically take all of the pre-reqs. My question is, will it be frowned upon if I take my pre-reqs at a community college just solely for the reason of cost?
Thanks, and I apologize if this has been asked before.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation as you and took physics, o-chems and all my labs at a community college and I was accepted . Most people on these boards would say it is better to take them at a university but when I called all of the admissions offices, I was told it depends on the individuals situation. My university would have charged me graduate level tuition if I would have continued to take classes there, even though they were undergrad level.... that and I moved 45 minutes north of the university and didn't have the desire to commute.

It will help that you have already taken a lot of classes at a university too, just make sure you get good grades in all the classes. The Community College I attended had a lot of pre-pharmacy/Dental/Med students who most got into their programs. The classes were taught by retired college professors (even a former med school board of admissions member) who used the same standards of testing/grading as what was used at the universities. Good Luck!

The best answer is it depends. With your undergrad GPA, if you score well on the pre-reqs at a CC, then you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure to get over 3.5 on those courses and you'll be g2g.

Members don't see this ad :)