Non-trad low cgpa, decent sgpa/mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefroyal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White, Male, KS resident, non-trad (will be 29 upon matriculation). Originally a business major, graduated in 2010, worked in healthcare consulting for several years before deciding to pursue medicine. Completed pre-reqs via a formal postbac this year and took MCAT.

Stats:
cGPA ~ 3.2 (uGPA ~3.1, pbGPA 4.0)
sGPA - 3.83 (4.0 in all prereqs)
MCAT - 516

ECs are as follows:

Paid Clinical:
-Currently employed as medical scribe in ED (worked while in PB ~15 hrs/week in this position)

Research:
-Currently employed as a bioinformatics researcher in a translational genetics research lab at a local medical school. No publications likely by the beginning of the cycle unfortunately though several are in the works. (worked while in PB ~20 hrs/week in this position)

Volunteering:
-Pediatric hospital volunteer for 2 years
-Free clinic volunteer for 1 year, patient intake.
-Various urban farming organizations steadily for 3-4 years.

Shadowing:
~100 hours across 4 specialties

Miscellaneous:
College Athlete for 4 years during UG, Captain for last 2, All-American for 2 years, played professionally abroad for a year before starting to work.

List (open to suggestions):
-University of KS
-UMKC
-Loyola
-RFU
-Northwestern
-Rush
-Creighton
-Boston
-Tufts
-Tulane
-Case Western
-Dartmouth
-St. Louis
-EVMS
-VCU
-VT
-Miami
-Vanderbilt
-Wake Forest
-USF
-Western Michigan
-University of Colorado
-MCW
-Oakland

Apologies for the lengthy post, sincere appreciation for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado, USF, UMKC mainly accept their own state residents. Case Western, Vanderbilt and Northwestern are very competitive and are reaches. Otherwise you have a good list. You could add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Roseman (new school for 2017)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Thanks, Faha, for the reply! I agree on the reaches and understand the feedback on the public schools. In your opinion I am competitive for allopathic or is my uGPA/cGPA such that MD is unlikely and I should be considering DO? I'm not sure how adcoms will view the uGPA in a non-science major from 5+ years ago vs the sGPA made up of pre-reqs taken this past year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Faha, for the reply! I agree on the reaches and understand the feedback on the public schools. In your opinion I am competitive for allopathic or is my uGPA/cGPA such that MD is unlikely and I should be considering DO? I'm not sure how adcoms will view the uGPA in a non-science major from 5+ years ago vs the sGPA made up of pre-reqs taken this past year.
Your situation is a bit unusual because of your low uGPA from years ago but I believe the schools will focus more on your recent MCAT score and sGPA. To be on the safe side you could apply to at least 5 DO schools. You probably do not want to reapply next year if you are not accepted to a MD school this year.