Non-Trad needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bboy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fisrst, I have to say that this forum is wonderful.
Second, I need advice.
I have a B.S. in Global Business, and currently work in a hospital as a department director (non-clinical). And although I have been very successful in my career, my dream has always been to become a Doctor (I am 29 years old now). Over the past couple of years I have had my eye on AZCOM. Besides the required pre-reqs, what recommendations does the group have to make a successful run at DO school admitance?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the flexability to move you could look into post-bacc programs. There are some D.O. schools that have post-bacc programs on their campus' (LECOM is one I know of). These programs typically last a year and it you do well your chances of acceptance are greatly increased.

Here's some advice I got from a close relative who is on an admissions committee at a med school. (my mom)
At 29 you have lots of extracurricular activities to talk about on your application so focus on academics and the MCAT to make you a strong applicant. Don't worry too much about other activities as your full time work in a hospital in any role makes you exceptional.

When you do apply try to think of all the activities that you have done over the past 29 years that make you a strong applicant.

Medicine really needs people who can combine an understanding of business with a their true calling in medicine so you might include that angle in your application essay. Your age and maturity are an asset. Many schools now add a point for each year until you are 35 years old!

Good luck.