Non-Trad not sure what to do - advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a non-trad, graduated in 2007, founded a successful internet start-up and have spent the past four years running this business. I've always had a dream of pursuing dentistry, but life and work got in the way. I'm at the point that I want to finally make this dream a reality and finish up my pre-reqs.

As of now, I have a 3.0 cGPA, strong upward trend, 3.5 over the final 60 hours. My sciGPA is a 3.6. I need to take 3 more classes to be eligible for admission. I have yet to take the DAT but score well on standardized testing with enough study time.

With such a low cumulative GPA, is it even worth my while to go back and tackle these last three classes? Would my upward trend, science GPA, and non-traditional/life story make up for a poor freshman/sophmore year? I apologize if this has turned into a "so what are my chances thread"; I promise I read the sticky before posting :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be taking the DAT not the MCAT....

Have you shadowed a dentist yet? The short answer is you do have a chance. I think the science GPA is far more important along with an above average DAT score. If you stick around here long enough you will get lots of great advice. Check out DocToothaches links for stats on average entrance GPAs and DATs.

You'll be taking the DAT not the MCAT....

Have you shadowed a dentist yet? The short answer is you do have a chance. I think the science GPA is far more important along with an above average DAT score. If you stick around here long enough you will get lots of great advice. Check out DocToothaches links for stats on average entrance GPAs and DATs.

Oops, typo there - realize it's the DAT I need. Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interpretation:

OP tried to strike it rich with his startup and it isn't as lucrative as he thought. Perhaps the business is flopping... if it hasn't already. Now he's doing what he can to claw his way into a six-figure career. If OP had truly dreamed of pursuing dentistry (or osteopathic medicine), he would have taken his prereqs while he was in college.

OP-if you're going to blow smoke, at least try to cover your tracks and start a new account for every "dream" you're pursuing.

I'd like to practice medicine. This has always been a dream. I recognize dental is a bit easier to get into than med school, hence two threads, hoping to get two different sets of opinions.

I wouldn't call what I'm doing blowing smoke, nor was I overly concerned about being "outted".

The business is what it is, it's paying the bills, but isn't something i can retire on. It will afford me the ability to attend a medical or dental school with little to no debt, so I'll take it.

I'd like to practice medicine. This has always been a dream. I recognize dental is a bit easier to get into than med school, hence two threads, hoping to get two different sets of opinions.
DO school allows retakes making it much easier to improve a transcript plagued by Bs, Cs or worse. This makes it easier for someone in your shoes to improve your application quickly. Other aspects of getting into DO school may be more difficult than majority of dental schools, I am not familiar enough with the process.

I wouldn't call what I'm doing blowing smoke, nor was I overly concerned about being "outted".
You are blowing smoke if you say dental school has always been your dream, as you did in your first post here.

The business is what it is, it's paying the bills, but isn't something i can retire on. It will afford me the ability to attend a medical or dental school with little to no debt, so I'll take it.

If your business is merely paying your bills, you cannot attend attend dental school with little to no debt. If you truly could attend dental school with little to no debt (which would mean you have $200k+ sitting in a savings account at age 26), you are well on your way to being able to retire using income generated from your current business. Keep in mind that unless you get into your state schools, your total liability for dental school could push 350k.

One last point, figure out what you really want to do with the rest of your life and then do everything possible to get there. Don't consider dental because you may view it easier to gain entry into as you will end up regretting your decision not to follow your passion. At the same time, you shouldn't consider med school unless it really is your passion and if you are willing to take the 'easier' route and do something else, you really won't make it through 7+ years of med school & residency.

DO school allows retakes making it much easier to improve a transcript plagued by Bs, Cs or worse. This makes it easier for someone in your shoes to improve your application quickly. Other aspects of getting into DO school may be more difficult than majority of dental schools, I am not familiar enough with the process.

You are blowing smoke if you say dental school has always been your dream, as you did in your first post here.

If your business is merely paying your bills, you cannot attend attend dental school with little to no debt. If you truly could attend dental school with little to no debt (which would mean you have $200k+ sitting in a savings account at age 26), you are well on your way to being able to retire using income generated from your current business. Keep in mind that unless you get into your state schools, your total liability for dental school could push 350k.

One last point, figure out what you really want to do with the rest of your life and then do everything possible to get there. Don't consider dental because you may view it easier to gain entry into as you will end up regretting your decision not to follow your passion. At the same time, you shouldn't consider med school unless it really is your passion and if you are willing to take the 'easier' route and do something else, you really won't make it through 7+ years of med school & residency.

I appreciate your opinions, thanks.