About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Non-Trad Post Bac Student with low uGPA

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Ambidextrous27, Apr 26, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Ambidextrous27

Ambidextrous27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    x
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. yankeefan18

yankeefan18

Pre-Medical
    Best opportunity for improvement from what I can see would be clinical exposure. Anything outside the nursing home you could get exposure to? Definitely no need to retake classes with your grad GPA and BS score. Maybe try to show a bit more in the area of leadership? But your work as tutoring and anatomy instructor should provide a good foundation there.

Overall you're in pretty good shape though and I'm being relatively nitpicky. So unless there are glaring red flags (i.e., disciplinary actions, poor personal statement or interview skills) I'd imagine you'll have success.

Apply early and good luck.
  3. Catalystik

Catalystik Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think your two years of clinical experience will be fine, but I don't see any physician shadowing listed. Did you forget to mention that?
  4. Ambidextrous27

Ambidextrous27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
  5. Catalystik

About 50 shadowing hours is the average listed. I'd consider 40 to be a minimum. Fortunately, this is one ECs where longevity isn't important, so getting it done at the last minute is fine.
  6. Ambidextrous27

Ambidextrous27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
  7. Catalystik

1) If you can afford it, apply wherever you wish. I suggest you add other schools affiliated with an SMP, as you can be sure they are likely to give your recent grades all due consideration. Add Wayne for sure. Reconsider Georgetown if you don't have a consistent pattern of service to those in need (I see no volunteerism mentioned).

2) You can't submit until early June anyway. And to get the maximum benefit from the expensive SMP, you must wait until the most recent grades are posted. Why not call the Registrar's Office and ask when they have gone out in past years?
  8. Ambidextrous27

Ambidextrous27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry, when I posted this I just reposted my old stats. My main volunteer experiences are 3hrs/wk at the hospital and I'm the case manager for a free clinic. Is that the kind of thing you mean?
  9. Catalystik

The latter particularly, if you had some years of involvement.