Non-trad pre-med needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty Doodle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just visited urologymatch.com and read all of the relevant pre-urology threads so I think I'm ready to ask my question (s).

I'm a 27 year old about to start my pre-medical courses. I majored in Russian and minored in public health in college. I was planning on spending the next year doing my prereqs and the MCAT and then applying for medical school the following year. I will have some time to do research/volunteering in the next year and after reading about a lot of specialties and thinking, I wanted to try something in urology so I can know if it's something I want to seriously go after when I start med school. I like the combination of surgery and clinical practice, the possibility of specializing in older adults or children, and the fact that I will be dealing with people who are basically healthy. I also like the fact that this field has yet to be "discovered" by many women. Even if I don't end up enjoying it, I think having a "focus" for these next two years would be good for me personally.

I was wondering if anyone had advice as to how a pre-med could get involved in research. I will be in Winnipeg and there are volunteer opportunities at a Kidney association (I forget the name); since I have non-profit experience I was thinking I could help them with grant writing; also there seems to be a need for dialysis volunteers. I already have a lot of public health and 1 year of clinical experience (a home for women with AIDS), and volunteer all the time (translating for non-profits...I lived in Russia for 4 years) so I think research would be something I really should try. I was thinking of reading about the research in urology being done in Winnipeg and writing to some of the MD's involved in it. Any advice on how to pursue this would be appreciated.

Elizabeth

Members don't see this ad.

You should take a look at the most recent match stats: a large portion of the people that matched this year are women. Undiscovered? Not really.

You should take a look at the most recent match stats: a large portion of the people that matched this year are women. Undiscovered? Not really.

I read that less than 5% of urologists are women.

That was not the point of my posting anyway.

My point was that the entering classes of residencies around the country have a lot of women in them and the demographic of urologists, as far as men and women goes, will change in our lifetime. As far as research goes, any is good, urology specific is much much better. I wouldn't mess around to much with the dialysis stuff, thats for the nephrologists. If you talk to urologists at an academic institution, they will have some projects that you can work on. It isn't glorious, mostly exel spread sheets and stuff like that but it'll give you something to talk about in interviews, and maybe even a pub.