Non-Trad Problems and Situations encountered.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was thinking this would be a place to speak about non-person-specific problems (ex. I feel old on campus, I wish I had more energy, making friends that are way younger than me, etc.) that occur, related to non-trad students.

Feel free to put in whatever though. Hopefully we all pass on tips to each other. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a good one..... but I'll wait until after the semester to post it (just in case). Spot in hold.

This is from a long time ago, but I think it's hilarious.

So I was sitting in class (like my 3rd week on campus) and a classmate starts talking to me (about 10 minutes till class starts). I'm not really paying attention to her but she is to me (I'm too tall for her, like by 2 feet, but whatever)... but I got nothing better to do, no reason we can't be friends, but then she asks me how old I am, she feels older at 19... I'm 23, and she gives me this OMG!!!!!! look. :( After being that really young guy at work, and even college during tech school, I felt old.... really old. :(:(:(

I was very sad for a long time after that :(.

Doesn't bother me as much now, but I do wonder what if I just went straight to a university at 16. (I did attend some community college here and there.... but mostly I moved around a lot and explored the country, I do love to travel :))

:laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
282307_10151078317226375_709193569_n.jpg

Reactions: 20 users
...I'm not ashamed to admit I've made a few of these over the last few years in Undergrad: The Reboot.

Reactions: 1 user
This has happened at least once to me, I told a guy 'XYZ PDQ, man.' No one in the class had a clue what I was talking about. Apparently kids don't have a discreet way of telling someone their zipper is down anymore.

Reactions: 5 users

Hahahah TRUTH!

My organic chemistry professor was always making 80's and 90's references, since I was the only one over 29 in the class, when a joke fell flat he was always like, well at least I can depend on "AM508" to get it...Seriously, not a single person in my class got a Spinal Tap: The Movie reference...it was a sad day :laugh:. Ochem was awful but the professor made some hilarious 80's and early '90's references and no one appreciated them.

While I am on the topic, I was having a discussion with an instructor before class started and I mentioned the term "cassette tape" in reference to some music. A girl next to me asked, "whats a cassette tape".....:laugh:

So I was sitting in class (like my 3rd week on campus) and a classmate starts talking to me (about 10 minutes till class starts). I'm not really paying attention to her but she is to me (I'm too tall for her, like by 2 feet, but whatever)... but I got nothing better to do, no reason we can't be friends, but then she asks me how old I am, she feels older at 19... I'm 23, and she gives me this OMG!!!!!! look. :( After being that really young guy at work, and even college during tech school, I felt old.... really old. :(:(:(

Doesn't bother me as much now, but I do wonder what if I just went straight to a university at 16. (I did attend some community college here and there.... but mostly I moved around a lot and explored the country, I do love to travel :))

Haha...when I was working on my BS, I'd start to develop some good friendships with other students. After a while, it kinda came up that I was a non-trad and that I had been on the military before and had worked in a different field afterward. They asked how old I was and their jaws dropped when I told them I was in my 30's. lol They all thought maybe I was 25 at the oldest. I'll take that as a compliment. haha

Reactions: 1 users
What's saved me is my teenagers. I get the references the kids in my class throw out (usually), because I have 3 kids over 13.

For example, I knew how to do the cupid shuffle and the wobble at the annual medical school dance because I chaperoned middle school dances. LOL

No kids, but I stay hip from the ungodly amount of time I spend on the Internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wow, then again I watched the reruns (which I enjoyed, also found married w/ children reruns to be funny as well................... didn't have cable)

I remember when Married with Children debuted on the then fledgling Fox network. It was controversial at the time, but I thought it was hilarious.

Reactions: 3 users
1238977_10151612178911375_509926503_n.jpg

Had this realization a few weeks ago too. Led Zeppelin ftw.

Reactions: 2 users
Bah I was never a SBTB person. I did like boy meets world tho. And Seinfeld never gets old. Do you know the girl on big bang was actually blossum? Thats crazy

In my MCAT prep course I made all sorts of 90's and even early 00's references and the only person who got them was the instructor, because he and I were the same age.

I can relate @Nontrad_DO_143. I was a couple of years older than one of my professors and a few lab instructors in undergrad...that is a strange dynamic...

It was really bizarre doing a post-bacc with 18 year olds who technically were young enough to have been my children. The positives are that the professors (who were often my age or close to it) and I not only got along well, they took my input seriously. And if I got in a jam over an assignment or work, I got a LOT of latitude.

My anatomy prof was exactly my age and we vibed pretty well. One day after one of our practical exams were returned to us, one of the 19 year old students who had gotten a C was literally wailing about it. Wailing. "OH MY GAAAAAHHH IS MY LIFE RUINED?? MY LIFE IS RUINED!!! I WILL NEVER GET INTO MED SCHOOL MY LIFE IS LITERALLY OVVEEEERRRR!!!!!" He was just looking at her like she was a creature from outer space, said nothing, glanced up, and we locked eyes. Many many things were said without words in those 3 seconds.

Perspective is everything.

Bah I was never a SBTB person. I did like boy meets world tho. And Seinfeld never gets old. Do you know the girl on big bang was actually blossum? Thats crazy

Not only is Blossom on Big Bang Theory, she has a PhD in neuroscience in real life. She's both an actress and a science consultant on the show.

I literally had a conversation two weeks ago with one of the new college volunteers at my hospital about Seinfeld and he had never heard of the show. NEVER HEARD OF THE SHOW.

I literally had a conversation two weeks ago with one of the new college volunteers at my hospital about Seinfeld and he had never heard of the show. NEVER HEARD OF THE SHOW.

Whoa, heresey!!!

He's not a master of his domain.

Reactions: 4 users
In chem lab during my first semester back in school, our solution turned bright green at one point. I go, "Hey, that looks JUST like Ecto-Cooler, doesn't it?" Got nothing but blank stares. Consoled myself by later singing Stan Bush's "The Touch" from the Transformers movie with my TA (who is younger than I am).

Also, my physics prof constantly asks if anyone in class remembers film cameras or CDs or rotary dial telephones. And of course, me on the front row is the only person who ever raises his hand.

In chem lab during my first semester back in school, our solution turned bright green at one point. I go, "Hey, that looks JUST like Ecto-Cooler, doesn't it?" Got nothing but blank stares. Consoled myself by later singing Stan Bush's "The Touch" from the Transformers movie with my TA (who is younger than I am).

Also, my physics prof constantly asks if anyone in class remembers film cameras or CDs or rotary dial telephones. And of course, me on the front row is the only person who ever raises his hand.

You got the touch, you got the power!

I loved Ecto-Cooler, man. I hope it comes back when the new Ghostbusters movie comes out.

Awwwww man....Ecto-Cooler. It came in those awesome big barrels that you had to use the pointy end of the bottle opener on....I drank so much of that I am shocked that I don't glow in the dark:rofl:. None of that politically correct "oooo kids drink too much glow in the dark juice" crap either. In the 80's and early 90's we drank lots of sugary drinks that looked like antifreeze and we are still alive:highfive:.

There one is...bask in the mildly radioactive glory of this puppy:
Ecto-cooler-can.jpg

Awwwww man....Ecto-Cooler. It came in those awesome big barrels that you had to use the pointy end of the bottle opener on....I drank so much of that I am shocked that I don't glow in the dark:rofl:. None of that politically correct "oooo kids drink too much glow in the dark juice" crap either. In the 80's and early 90's we drank lots of sugary drinks that looked like antifreeze and we are still alive:highfive:.

Ecto-cooler-can.jpg
As an adult I cringe to think what must have been in the things I had as a kid. But then I remind myself that at least there wheren't any GMOs and nobody was allergic to everything back then.

It is really interesting whats happened to the world since the mid 90's. I mean people literally have never paid a bill by actually mailing a check in anymore. And if one of the undergrads had to use that cardex system at a library they might just faint. Its especially interesting to me as I was right on the border of everything going through school. But enough of that if you really knew what the 90s where about...

I knew I was old when I made a M*A*S*H reference on pre-allo a few years ago regarding the best medicine related TV shows, and nobody had ever heard of it... Or the Korean war for that matter...

But I can't really relate to the initial story of a 23 year old seeming old to a 19 year old because frankly if we aren't even talking about a half decades difference, these are contemporaries -- I'm not sure 23 really even makes the age criteria for nontrads. The OPs parenthetical of being too tall for someone doesn't make that much sense either unless he's focused on ballroom dancing...

Reactions: 4 users
I knew I was old when I made a M*A*S*H reference on pre-allo a few years ago regarding the best medicine related TV shows, and nobody had ever heard of it... Or the Korean war for that matter...

But I can't really relate to the initial story of a 23 year old seeming old to a 19 year old because frankly if we aren't even talking about a half decades difference, these are contemporaries -- I'm not sure 23 really even makes the age criteria for nontrads. The OPs parenthetical of being too tall for someone doesn't make that much sense either unless he's focused on ballroom dancing...
I agree, in my book nontraditional = previous career (Not career student). But even I feel that there are people kind of in the middle so to speak who are older than 26 (so older than average student) but somehow haven't had a career, your not traditional, but your not a traditonal non trad either. So I guess your with us nontrads.

I know I can feel the age gap with someone 10 years younger than me much more greatly than people ten years older. But alot of that is how your raised. If someone has a more traditional hobby (saying skiing or fishing or w/e) then that person will be more relatable to me since those kinds of things have been around forever. If your favorite thing is an xbox, well that didnt even exist till my junior or senior year of Highschool and we all laughed at microsoft for trying to make another console to steal kids money with a proprietary format (cause the only ones we knew were sony and nintendo, and everyone knew that PC games were better by then).

So I dont relate as well to people who are big console gamers cause I never was one (Although I had a super nintendo as a kid, I just never played it like people do today, and I was a bit of a tech nerd back then). Donkey Kong isnt interesting enough to play for 16 hours a day. You would probably beat the whole game by half that time.

These posts are fun to read. I am 45 but being a personal trainer, triathlete, dressing and acting immature for my age, I guess my 19-20 year old classmates think I am about 30ish. We also have young kids (since we, I especially delayed children to reach the top of my career and compete at a national level for tri's) so my physics prof who is mid 30's and I are constantly referring to funny things our kids do. So what floored me recently was doing a PHET simulation for Physics lab, and it was about John Travolta's dancing, with the image of him sliding across the floor causing friction to spark electricity to the door knob he was touching. I was amazed none of these kids had ever heard of him as the actor, let alone the classics Saturday Night Fever, Grease, and, well ok, I must be having a senior moment, some of his more recent stuff....ok I am old...

Wow, who doesn't know MASH and Alan Alda? Makes me sad.

So, I went back to school to do the medical school pre-reqs when I was 29...At the time, the vast majority of my classmates were 18-19. The maturity gap seemed to be astronomical and things were really awkward. But when I graduated the gap was still 10 years (32 vs 22). But there did not seem to be as much of a gap anymore. It seems to me that after 22 or 23 years old, the age gap is not quite as awkward for either party as it is when you are in the late 20's dealing with late teens. This was quite evident with younger folks that I met while interviewing too. Anyone else notice this phenomenon or am I imagining it:laugh:??

These posts are fun to read. I am 45 but being a personal trainer, triathlete, dressing and acting immature for my age, I guess my 19-20 year old classmates think I am about 30ish. We also have young kids (since we, I especially delayed children to reach the top of my career and compete at a national level for tri's) so my physics prof who is mid 30's and I are constantly referring to funny things our kids do.
We are almost clones...right down to the personal trainer, young kids keeping us in the loop, bff's with the profs and TA's ;) The young people have a meltdown when they find out I'm not in my thirties...I LOVE those guys! It's the best of both worlds--having a blast with the classmates and having this unspoken understanding with the instructors.

Geez I know I am losing my mind when I am so busy with school, work and family that i come on here to get my kicks from reading what fellow non-trads are observing about the younger ones in our classes....plus everytime I "x"out of something on the computer, all I can think is "into the page"....oh man when is it 5 o clock so i get my workout in and crack a beer...

As an adult I cringe to think what must have been in the things I had as a kid. But then I remind myself that at least there wheren't any GMOs and nobody was allergic to everything back then.

It is really interesting whats happened to the world since the mid 90's. I mean people literally have never paid a bill by actually mailing a check in anymore. And if one of the undergrads had to use that cardex system at a library they might just faint. Its especially interesting to me as I was right on the border of everything going through school. But enough of that if you really knew what the 90s where about...

@HandsomeRob, what joy you deliver this day with the C&C, showcasing some of my finest 90's moves at 6:35 and 6:39 ;)

@ddmbmom watch out, this SDN thing can be habit forming [so entertaining!] Just got sucked into the swirling vortex about two months ago haha.

Err.... I'm 23 and have worked as a lab tech for a few years now. Dropped out of high school 2 months after I turned 16. Considering I didn't attend high school, less than a year of highschool total. (tested out of the remedial courses though :)) and I became a lab tech.... I think I'm a nontrad in that sense.
and @HandsomeRob not to nitpick but I'm not what one would consider a "career student" more so the guy who left the "government schools" and for the longest time was known for doing what he wants (spent a day handcuffed to a chair in court far away from home, once :laugh:).... actually worked out just fine for me, but now I want to do something more.

And can you imagine a 6'3" man and a 4ft gal together? Really?

Last edited:
Err.... I'm 23 and have worked as a lab tech for a few years now. Dropped out of high school 2 months after I turned 16. Considering I didn't attend high school, less than a year of highschool total. (tested out of the remedial courses though :)) and I became a lab tech.... I think I'm a nontrad in that sense.
and @HandsomeRob not to nitpick but I'm not what one would consider a "career student" more so the guy who left the "government schools" and for the longest time was known for doing what he wants (spent a day handcuffed to a chair in court far away from home, once :laugh:).... actually worked out just fine for me, but now I want to do something more.

And can you imagine a 6'3" man and a 4ft gal together? Really?
Wasnt necessarily refering to you when I said career sudent. It was more of a general thought. I thought I understood you would be starting till 2018 anyhow?

Wasnt necessarily refering to you when I said career sudent. It was more of a general thought. I thought I understood you would be starting till 2018 anyhow?
Ah, fair enough. Probably overread. Yes, you're correct I have 2 1/2 (essentially 3) years of undergrad left.

I know many couples like this, don't have to imagine. It's your hangup not ours. :)

Haha, yes I know many as well. Just weird is all. I mean you can pick them up and etc.....

But the rest of the time you're breaking your neck.

Ecto-cooler-can.jpg

I only had it in box form, I think. I also drank my fair share of Mondos and Squeeze-Its, and my tiny elementary-school fingers had the perpetual stain of one too many Gushers.

So, I went back to school to do the medical school pre-reqs when I was 29...At the time, the vast majority of my classmates were 18-19. The maturity gap seemed to be astronomical and things were really awkward. But when I graduated the gap was still 10 years (32 vs 22). But there did not seem to be as much of a gap anymore. It seems to me that after 22 or 23 years old, the age gap is not quite as awkward for either party as it is when you are in the late 20's dealing with late teens. This was quite evident with younger folks that I met while interviewing too. Anyone else notice this phenomenon or am I imagining it:laugh:??

I'm early-30s and I've been pleasantly surprised that all my social interactions with people are pretty normal. Granted, I'm only around a given group for 1-2 hours, and the interactions are pretty superficial. They know I'm older (though they usually think I'm 25), but I'd like to think I keep the creepy-old-guy moments to a minimum.

The two things that do kinda bug me:

1) Lecture behavior. People can't seem to keep their mouths shut while a prof is lecturing. Or they will sprawl out, near-horizontally, in their chair with their legs draped over the seat in front of them. Or they will diddle on their cell phones all class, even when the professor is standing and lecturing five feet in front of them.

2) And speaking of cell phones, college kids sure can't get enough of 'em, can they? Common knowledge, I know, but I still can't help but marvel. Class dismissed? Wham--nearly every single person is already texting away furiously on their way out the door. Approaching and then crossing a busy intersection? Nah, that's no reason to look up from your phone. And I've learned that it's normal to see two people walking and talking with both simultaneously hard at work on their cell as well. Part of me gets annoyed at this, but mostly I just find myself gazing in wonderment.

Or they will diddle on their cell phones all class, even when the professor is standing and lecturing five feet in front of them.
This one gets me too @RudySoapdish. Anything that gives off disrespect bugs me. My own twenty-year-old (a Marine) is ultra-respectful, and he explained to me that his age group views it differently. It's their normal. All the technology is just part of who they are. I'm starting to get it, but my immediate reaction is still that it's disrespectful.

But I have to say, overall, the majority of young people are respectful and downright impressive, at least at my school. Definitely no sprawled out, nearly horizontal people LOL. They blow me away regularly with their initiative, innovation, maturity, and work ethic. Often I'll be talking to one of them, and thinking, this person is definitely a future leader.

It has surprised me how receptive they have been to a much older student. Last year, for example, I was in a seminar with only about fifteen students, so we really got to know one another. On the last day of the class, I turned around to see a line of about six of them waiting to give me a hug and say very kind things, and, you guessed it @RudySoapdish, put my number in their cellphone;). The high respect from the professors has not surprised me since I am often their elder, but I have to admit I was not expecting it from the students. I will miss them. Thankfully, most of them got accepted this year so we will likely cross paths in the future in the medical world. Some may be your MS1 classmates, and you will see why they blew me away!

But I have to say, overall, the majority of young people are respectful and downright impressive, at least at my school. Definitely no sprawled out, nearly horizontal people LOL. They blow me away regularly with their initiative, innovation, maturity, and work ethic. Often I'll be talking to one of them, and thinking, this person is definitely a future leader.

It has surprised me how receptive they have been to a much older student. Last year, for example, I was in a seminar with only about fifteen students, so we really got to know one another. On the last day of the class, I turned around to see a line of about six of them waiting to give me a hug and say very kind things, and, you guessed it @RudySoapdish, put my number in their cellphone;). The high respect from the professors has not surprised me since I am often their elder, but I have to admit I was not expecting it from the students. I will miss them. Thankfully, most of them got accepted this year so we will likely cross paths in the future in the medical world. Some may be your MS1 classmates, and you will see why they blew me away!

Your experience sounds fantastic. Thanks for indulging my "get off mah lawn!!!" mode, which was just a moment to point out some of the extremes. Overall, though, my experience so far has been a pleasant surprise. There are a lot of fantastic people, some of whom I've stayed in contact with. It's just that, like in a lot of areas of life, the negative behaviors often stand out a lot more than the positive ones. You notice the sprawled out guy sleeping in class, but you might not notice the respectful student quietly taking notes who is also, unbeknownst to you, a research rock star.

Your experience sounds fantastic. Thanks for indulging my "get off mah lawn!!!" mode, which was just a moment to point out some of the extremes. Overall, though, my experience so far has been a pleasant surprise. There are a lot of fantastic people, some of whom I've stayed in contact with. It's just that, like in a lot of areas of life, the negative behaviors often stand out a lot more than the positive ones. You notice the sprawled out guy sleeping in class, but you might not notice the respectful student quietly taking notes who is also, unbeknownst to you, a research rock star.
Among these guys I've had the privilege of learning with for the past few years, "research rock star" would describe the majority lol. Not so much the "quietly taking notes" though. Most of them had plenty to say ;)

Children, what can you do with them???!