Non-Trad Problems and Situations encountered.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super Dave reference in Physics was not understood by anyone other than professor who had adequately launched himself in a velcro suit to a wall with us having to give the various equations for his questions in response.

Seriously, NO one knows Super Dave?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Super Dave reference in Physics was not understood by anyone other than professor who had adequately launched himself in a velcro suit to a wall with us having to give the various equations for his questions in response.

Seriously, NO one knows Super Dave?!?!?!
Don't know Super Dave, but man, would I love to see a Physics professor in a velcro suit launching himself onto a wall!

Reactions: 1 user
No one knows Mr. Wizard's World either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While working on a problem from the text, my physics professor had to explain that film cameras work very similarly to digital cameras, but instead of a sensor, there was film with photoreactive chemicals.

I have also come across people who don't understand what the icon for the "save" function in Word, Excel, etc. is meant to be or how it relates to saving something.

Reactions: 3 users
While working on a problem from the text, my physics professor had to explain that film cameras work very similarly to digital cameras, but instead of a sensor, there was film with photoreactive chemicals.

I have also come across people who don't understand what the icon for the "save" function in Word, Excel, etc. is meant to be or how it relates to saving something.

I think a lot of people born in the mid to late 90's no longer has a clue what a floppy disk is. I remember when they were actually floppy. lol

That was one of my favorite shows!!
Me too! I'd wake up early to catch it on Nickelodeon.
This is completely adorable. I can just picture you guys on Saturday AM, tall glass of Ecto Cooler in hand. My guys loved Nickelodeon too. I pretended like I was watching it because they wanted, but I was secretly enjoying it quite a bit.
This surprised me too. Recently I did a week rafting the Grand Canyon, and one of my cameras was film. The younger rafters wanted to know what all those canisters in ziploc bags were :p. They do know what Polaroid is though, probably from the Outkast song*.

*jk, young lurkers on non-trad:D

Last edited:

Physics professor from Heaven - Dr. Paul Haines... #mademeluvphysics

I can relate @Nontrad_DO_143. I was a couple of years older than one of my professors and a few lab instructors in undergrad...that is a strange dynamic...

Belatedly, can relate to this too. Last year both my algebra and trigonometry professors (PhDs) were younger than I was. Hit home when the algebra prof noticed only one of us had gray hair, and it wasn't her. :)

Belatedly, can relate to this too. Last year both my algebra and trigonometry professors (PhDs) were younger than I was. Hit home when the algebra prof noticed only one of us had gray hair, and it wasn't her. :)

One of my lab instructors gave me permission to refer to him by his first name in class because it was too awkward for him to have someone older than him to be calling him "Mr." So if we were to say his name was John Doe...the other 14 people in the lab were like "Mr.Doe can you help us", then there was me "Hey, John....":laugh:

One of my lab instructors gave me permission to refer to him by his first name in class because it was too awkward for him to have someone older than him to be calling him "Dr."

I changed it to Dr. because my prof had the PhD... recently, he told me, "Don't you think we're beyond the Dr. S...? You can just call me "Jake" now. Seriously."

Seriously, I was raised in the time when you addressed someone you had respect for - no matter the age difference - with their appropriate title.

I still call him, "Dr. S..." :) he very quickly /rolleyes

I changed it to Dr. because my prof had the PhD... recently, he told me, "Don't you think we're beyond the Dr. S...? You can just call me "Jake" now. Seriously."

Seriously, I was raised in the time when you addressed someone you had respect for - no matter the age difference - with their appropriate title.

I still call him, "Dr. S..." :) he very quickly /rolleyes

I did have one situation like that, now that you mention it. When I first started volunteering in EMS like 11-12 years ago, my sixth grade teacher joined the ambulance squad (I was like 20 y/0 at that point). I remember there was a group of folks outside of the station and I walked up and was like "hello bob, jane, joe, jim, and Mr.Doe". "AM508, you aren't in sixth grade anymore you can call me John", "Okay, Mr. Doe". To this day, when I run across him he is still Mr.Doe...I get the same eye roll there :laugh:.

My /rolleyes is leading to a #killerLOR :D:highfive:

I showed this to a friend in class. They asked me if it was a old spin off from back in the day (trying to be funny).

But I just realized when it comes to music and movies, even a few years gap results in a large difference (in volume).

I showed this to a friend in class. They asked me if it was a old spin off from back in the day (trying to be funny).

But I just realized when it comes to music and movies, even a few years gap results in a large difference (in volume).

That was pretty good. I'm always impressed with the production value from Bat in the Sun.

1) Lecture behavior. People can't seem to keep their mouths shut while a prof is lecturing. Or they will sprawl out, near-horizontally, in their chair with their legs draped over the seat in front of them. Or they will diddle on their cell phones all class, even when the professor is standing and lecturing five feet in front of them.

2) And speaking of cell phones, college kids sure can't get enough of 'em, can they? Common knowledge, I know, but I still can't help but marvel. Class dismissed? Wham--nearly every single person is already texting away furiously on their way out the door. Approaching and then crossing a busy intersection? Nah, that's no reason to look up from your phone. And I've learned that it's normal to see two people walking and talking with both simultaneously hard at work on their cell as well. Part of me gets annoyed at this, but mostly I just find myself gazing in wonderment.

Had a professor catch a girl texting in class, he asked her "young lady, exactly what part of your home training, or lack thereof makes you think that's OK?" Same professor bluntly told us on the 1st day "don't be late, if the doors are shut, don't come in". Watched an ROTC cadet in uniform bust in 20 minutes late, and walk in front of him to get to his seat, He very politely said "Ahem, young man" and pointed back to the door. Cadet walks out, professor walks out behind him and the "discussion" ensues. Apparently, the cadet had forgotten that Doctor H. had retired from the Navy, taught at the Air Force Academy, and currently taught graduate level courses to Active Duty Army officers. He didn't take any crap from anyone, let alone someone who is supposed to eventually lead troops in combat. Me and the other non-trad just looked at each other and went "Whelp, he's screwed"

I was always particular about my seat, I'd have to get to my MCAT prep class earlier than normal to keep the class gunner from stealing it. I'm old, blind, and half-deaf, I sit in the front row for a reason dammit! (/get off my lawn)

I made an Emergency! reference when asked about my favorite TV doctor, yup, no one got it.

Going to class, either before or after work, in uniform was always fun. I'd get the usual questions: "What's the worst you've ever seen? How are you doing this and still working?, etc." My letter writer pointed out the fact I still had blood on my boots during a meeting about my letter.

"I was always particular about my seat, I'd have to get to my MCAT prep class earlier than normal to keep the class gunner from stealing it. I'm old, blind, and half-deaf, I sit in the front row for a reason dammit! (/get off my lawn)":clap:

Yep. I'm 10 minutes early to every class, in my seat, ready for lecture; cell phone is ... maybe in my car?? ... and I listen.

Difference between trying to keep the class gunner out of my seat is that ... I probably am the class gunner (at 50)... straight A's baybee ;) gawd those youngen's don't like that I kill their curve :laugh:

"

Difference between trying to keep the class gunner out of my seat is that ... I probably am the class gunner (at 50)... straight A's baybee ;) gawd those youngen's don't like that I kill their curve :laugh:

You might not believe me on this one, but the thing that's been way funner than getting straight A's has been helping some of the young people do the same.

Last edited: