Non-Trad Reapplicant: sciGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.4; MCAT 33 (13/9/11) – School List Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diamond Clouds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m hoping to get some feedback on my school list for this upcoming cycle. Thanks in advance!

CA resident. Had a rocky journey during undergrad academically, due to immaturity etc etc. Graduated business with a 3.0. During my post-bacc, I got my act together and brought my cGPA up to 3.4 (post bacc cGPA/sciGPA: 3.9). I was waitlisted when I last applied. Retook MCAT since then (previous score 27: 11/7/9), jumping up 6 points overall

Here’s a profile snapshot without too much detail (I marked what’s new since last application)

Medical Work experience:
-(new) Medical assistant at an allergy, asthma and immunology clinic (~8 months to date) – Full time
-(new) Research coordinator in Global Health focused on the Philippines (~9 months to date) – Part time
-Laboratory assistant (~2 years) in an orthopaedic surgical training lab – Part time
-Research assistant in orthopaedics (~1.5 – 2 years): Multiple conference abstracts and (new) a journal publication – Part time
-Caregiver / Admin Assistant (~9 years off and on) at my family business of residential home care for the mentally disabled, dual diagnosed and high-behavioral, dual diagnosed (eg: depression and schizophrenia)

Past Work experience:
-Human Resources coordinator (~2-3 years)

EC:
-Volunteering: both medical and non-medical (many years)
-Clinical internship at an urgent care and occupational health clinic (2 months)
-Shadowing: multiple specialties (some new since last cycle)
-2 professional fraternities (business and community service) with leadership roles
-Leadership roles in my undergrad Filipino-American organization
-Retreat leader

SCHOOL LIST
-UC Davis* (Interviewed)
-UC Irvine*
-Loma Linda*
-USC/Keck*
-George Washington*
-Georgetown*
-U Miami*
-FIU*
-Rosalind Franklin*
-Tulane
-Tufts
-SLU*
-NYMC*
-Einstein*
-Case Western
-Drexel* (Waitlisted)
-Temple
-Jefferson*
-Utah
-Wake Forest
-UCSF*
-UCLA*
-UCSD*
-NYU

Edit 1: * = applied last cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you indicate to which of these you are a re-applicant (asterisk) and where you were interviewed?
I suppose you are aware of LL's behavior policies?
@gyngyn Yes, I'm aware. I don't think it'll be a problem for me though. (please see edits to original post)

Members don't see this ad :)
And, to clarify, you applied with a 27 and a 3.0 that round.
Now you have a 33 and 3.4.
No, I haven't taken any classes since (by that point I took about a year full-time of only upper div science classes). So last cycle: 27; cGPA 3.4; sciGPA 3.88. This cycle: 33, cGPA 3.4, sciGPA 3.88 and 2 new significant work experiences.

No, I haven't taken any classes since (by that point I took about a year full-time of only upper div science classes). So last cycle: 27; cGPA 3.4; sciGPA 3.88. This cycle: 33, cGPA 3.4, sciGPA 3.88 and 2 new significant work experiences.
How many schools would you like to delete (if any).

How many schools would you like to delete (if any).
Thanks so much for your help, gyngyn! I don't think I'll delete any, I want to cast a wide net. Given my stats, I'm not sure if should add more or simply replace some with others (eg - if some on my list are not worth it)

Thanks so much for your help, gyngyn! I don't think I'll delete any, I want to cast a wide net. Given my stats, I'm not sure if should add more or simply replace some with others (eg - if some on my list are not worth it)
Replace: NYU (stats) and USC (Stats and re-ap) . You probably know that the UC's are a reach, but I know you can't resist. At least replace GT and GW with good stat matches that don't get 12K+ applications!

Replace: NYU (stats) and USC (Stats and re-ap) . You probably know that the UC's are a reach, but I know you can't resist. At least replace GT and GW with good stat matches that don't get 12K+ applications!
Great point re: GT/GW. Yes, my advisor says the same about the UCs… and yes, as a CA resident I can't resist! MSAR will be my buddy. Thanks again, appreciate your input!

Great point re: GT/GW. Yes, my advisor says the same about the UCs… and yes, as a CA resident I can't resist! MSAR will be my buddy. Thanks again, appreciate your input!
I was the same way.
Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, I’m hoping to get some feedback on my school list for this upcoming cycle. Thanks in advance!

CA resident. Had a rocky journey during undergrad academically, due to immaturity etc etc. Graduated business with a 3.0. During my post-bacc, I got my act together and brought my cGPA up to 3.4 (post bacc cGPA/sciGPA: 3.9). I was waitlisted when I last applied. Retook MCAT since then (previous score 27: 11/7/9), jumping up 6 points overall

Here’s a profile snapshot without too much detail (I marked what’s new since last application)

Medical Work experience:
-(new) Medical assistant at an allergy, asthma and immunology clinic (~8 months to date) – Full time
-(new) Research coordinator in Global Health focused on the Philippines (~9 months to date) – Part time
-Laboratory assistant (~2 years) in an orthopaedic surgical training lab – Part time
-Research assistant in orthopaedics (~1.5 – 2 years): Multiple conference abstracts and (new) a journal publication – Part time
-Caregiver / Admin Assistant (~9 years off and on) at my family business of residential home care for the mentally disabled, dual diagnosed and high-behavioral, dual diagnosed (eg: depression and schizophrenia)

Past Work experience:
-Human Resources coordinator (~2-3 years)

EC:
-Volunteering: both medical and non-medical (many years)
-Clinical internship at an urgent care and occupational health clinic (2 months)
-Shadowing: multiple specialties (some new since last cycle)
-2 professional fraternities (business and community service) with leadership roles
-Leadership roles in my undergrad Filipino-American organization
-Retreat leader

SCHOOL LIST
-UC Davis* (Interviewed)
-Loma Linda*
--U Miami*
-Rosalind Franklin*
-Tulane
-Tufts
-SLU*
-NYMC*
-Einstein*