Non-Trad roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fairly straight up:

-Who you are (screenname)

-How long till you apply

-Anything else you wish to share :)

And go:+pad+:welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Spirit of the Student Doc
Junior year at the moment. (Being non-trad/transfer student I won't take my final class on the MCAT till my final semester. Therefore, I'll probably take 1, maybe 2 classes after my senior year and study for the MCAT. Might apply late in the cycle or just delay another semester....)

Working on finding some kind of research experience.

I'm currently working, working FT and taking 15 credits a semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
-Snakes On A Cane
-Applying in 2015
-Been a lawyer for over 15 years, currently finishing a bioethics masters

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mspeedwagon (Please note, it's not Ms. Speedwagon, which I often see).
Applying this cycle (0 acceptances, 1 interview done (decision pending), 4 more interviews upcoming and 4 rejections thus far). Admitted to my back up masters program, but will not be attending.
I work at J&J and get massive discounts on a lot of baby products. Only problem, I don't have a baby.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hello!

TawnyMarie
SF Bay Area
Medical Experience: CNA, EMT, Medical Scribe, and Health Unit Coordinator
One parent was a paramedic and the other was a nurse. It runs in my family.
I'm a mom to a 9 year old and nearing my 30th birthday. Undergrad degree completed online. Received a lot of CLEP/AP Credit. Science prerequistes completed at a local 4 year university. I did amazeroo on the Biology GRE Subject test.

I am considering the HPSP program to pay for medical school. I always had a desire to serve in the military. I'm still researching this.

I am applying DO only (Touro University) here in the bay area.
Interested in hospital medicine (Hospitalist)

I will take the MCAT this spring (2015 version) and see how I do. If I do well I'll apply for the fall 2016 entering class. If I don't do as well as I'd like then I will apply for the post bacc program and then interview for the 2017 entering class since it's part of the agreement with Touro.

Between my age, mom status, and completing my undergrad online...I'd say I'm pretty darn non-traditional and would LOVE to meet other students especially in the bay area :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. Just curious who was out there is all. That and I think a one thread post (vs. multiple threads scattered around) is probably the best way to keep track of everyone.

• Piotr
  • applying either in 2017 or 2018 (most likely 2018 because I need some extra time for health reasons)
  • US citizen w/ a foreign degree (BSN) and a low gpa
  • about to start my 2nd bachelor's this coming spring at my state U (BS Bio)
  • have 2 cats and not interested in having kids
:cat:

MS1
28 y/o. Get off my lawn! I worked in medical imaging prior.
It is now time for winter break. I like med school so far except final exam week.
It's nice to know there are other non-trads out there toiling away. Keep up the hard work, you will get where you want to be.

Hello!

TawnyMarie
SF Bay Area
Medical Experience: CNA, EMT, Medical Scribe, and Health Unit Coordinator
One parent was a paramedic and the other was a nurse. It runs in my family.
I'm a mom to a 9 year old and nearing my 30th birthday. Undergrad degree completed online. Received a lot of CLEP/AP Credit. Science prerequistes completed at a local 4 year university. I did amazeroo on the Biology GRE Subject test.

I am considering the HPSP program to pay for medical school. I always had a desire to serve in the military. I'm still researching this.

I am applying DO only (Touro University) here in the bay area.
Interested in hospital medicine (Hospitalist)

I will take the MCAT this spring (2015 version) and see how I do. If I do well I'll apply for the fall 2016 entering class. If I don't do as well as I'd like then I will apply for the post bacc program and then interview for the 2017 entering class since it's part of the agreement with Touro.

Between my age, mom status, and completing my undergrad online...I'd say I'm pretty darn non-traditional and would LOVE to meet other students especially in the bay area :)

-Snakes On A Cane
-Applying in 2015
-Been a lawyer for over 15 years, currently finishing a bioethics masters

Mspeedwagon (Please note, it's not Ms. Speedwagon, which I often see).
Applying this cycle (0 acceptances and 2 rejections thus far). Admitted to my back up masters program, but go back and forth about my desire to attend it each day.
I work at J&J and get massive discounts on a lot of baby products. Only problem, I don't have a baby.

• Piotr
  • applying either in 2017 or 2018 (most likely 2018 because I need some extra time for health reasons)
  • US citizen w/ a foreign degree (BSN) and a low gpa
  • about to start my 2nd bachelor's this coming spring at my state U (BS Bio)
  • have 2 cats and not interested in having kids
:cat:

Wow, good luck to everyone. :)

Especially with the online degree. Curious how that works out.

MS1
28 y/o. Get off my lawn! I worked in medical imaging prior.
It is now time for winter break. I like med school so far except final exam week.
It's nice to know there are other non-trads out there toiling away. Keep up the hard work, you will get where you want to be.

Neutrophil w/ toxic granulation? (Hard to tell it's so small)

You want to be a pathologist, I assume?

takeonme
aiming to apply 2015
RN for approx 3 years

It's just some random smiling neutrophil picture I found on the interwebs. I really need to find a more interesting avatar. :)
Ha! Just some funny stuff that made me laugh in school!
202+WBCs.jpg

e24ed1f64490708cc47b51bbe0b9bdf2.jpg
acba0b5260a3e8e05a953cc4d25a1abe.jpg
dc8e86c3b2e2de88f1a691cd09a22c29.jpg
a94e79d048e3a8cd1519f0817f72e20c.jpg
62dd5d0da6b1e6d1c526d9df62bd6d54.jpg
7b4c65b34765c76cf11e71f0e71c97ca.jpg
joke1+copy.png

and my personal favorite
antibiotic-resistance-cartoon.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are superb! Thanks for sharing. The Mr. T-cell would make a sweet avatar.
Thanks, I was pretty much a goof ball throughout school. Making "cheesy" jokes all the time. I had a good time there. No reason to not have fun;).

Last edited:
Fairly straight up:

-Who you are (screenname)

-How long till you apply

-Anything else you wish to share :)

theseeker4

I am a current 3rd year medical student.

Have a wife and almost-4 year old son, worked prior to starting med school as a chemist, before that, in no particular order, I was a cook, waiter, armed guard in New Orleans after Katrina, pizza place manager, and History major planning to go to law school. Luckily I needed no remediation since I did well in undergrad, but took a bunch of courses toward a second bachelors in biochemistry for my chemistry job, so I have something close to 200 undergraduate credits, I have been at the same university -- first for my first bachelors, then my post bach, then working toward a second bachelors, and now in medical school -- since 2001.

Reactions: 4 users
-DaddyBex28

-24 years old. Applied this current cycle and so far have 1 acceptance and 2 rejections. Waiting on 11 other schools still...

-Didn't do phenomenal early in my undergrad, so I took time off from applying to work on myself while improving my application. Retook classes/finished pre-reqs and studied independently while working full-time in a research lab at a Big Ten university. Also volunteered at a hospice during this time. I've had former clinical and non-clinical volunteer work throughout undergrad and high school and worked nearly full-time during my undergrad in research and as a TA for organic chemistry and physiology. Recently have developed an interest in body-building so that's a nice distraction/hobby to occupy my time til I hear from other schools and actually start studying medicine!

Mountain King

Would like to apply in 2015, but 2016 looks more realistic.

Hi all :)

Deleted

Last edited:
Princess Buttercup
OMS3
Worked as an EMT, and in biotech for many years. Love medicine, and most days on rotations doesn't feel like work. Even though I'm tired and some days are long, it's awesome.

Best of luck to all of you in your applications

Hey yall! Reapplicanthelpme2014

Graduated from undergrad 4 years ago. Did a postbacc and now working.

Second time applying. 8 interviews, 2 acceptances, and a whole lotta relief!

Wishing everyone luck!! Keep at it, no matter how difficult it may get. It's worth it :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone! 23 year old mom to a 2 year old here! I'm a junior in undergrad as a biochemistry and molecular biology major. I'm hoping to apply for matriculation in 2016 but it's looking like I might be taking a gap year! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. :)

Last edited:
Eccesignum

34 y/o female, single, no interest in kids.

Working two jobs now as an acute care RN and an EMT-A while finishing out a bachelor's in biology. Previous job lives include non-profit fundraiser, ESOL teacher overseas, and professional actor/director.

Applying in June 2015 provided my January MCAT doesn't take my ego out back and shoot it.

- bbychrangel

- hopefully I can apply in 2016. Might be 2017 though.

- currently in a DIY post bacc in the LA area. Will be taking calculus and ochem next quarter. ED volunteer at one of the local hospitals and loving it! Hoping to be a surgeon, and yes I know that can change, but right now it's what I want!

:)

Mad Jack

-1.5 years

Med school is so much different than I thought it would be. It is worse, stress-wise, but far better time-wise than I expected. You won't have to neglect everything you care about in med school, but you will be pushed to your limits in regard to your ability to handle reams of information. Just remember this: that bit about the hardest part of med school being getting in is BS. Undergrad was a joke compared to med school.

-PNWisBest

- Hopefully applying in 2016. Applying DO only. :xf:

- Currently in a formal full-time post-back program to transition from my business background to medical (while working full-time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! 23 year old mom to a 2 year old here! I'm a junior in undergrad as a biochemistry and molecular biology major. I'm hoping to apply for matriculation in 2016 but it's looking like I might be taking a gap year! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. :)

We have some things in common :)

Hi everyone,

I am a 22yo wife and mother of two (4 & 2), junior in psych and neurobio, applying in 2016. I've been around a while but have noticed that my age makes me "traditional" to some, so I've only lurked here. This past semester my post-bac colleagues have told me I am not an ugrad, I'm one of them lol. I find that I am finally feeling like I fit in somewhere with the older students.

Last edited:
MajorUnderDog

Applying this June 2015 to only DO programs

Currently finishing my 3rd year of retakes/post bach to get my Gpa competitive for DO schools

Considering getting my masters in HCA this summer/fall/spring 2016 also since I will be done with undergrad classes this spring

georgeag
Applied, 2015 cycle: 11 secondaries completed. 7/10 IIs. 7 acceptances. 1 rejection pre II!
DONE!

Undergrad: Non-US 4 year university (6 years ago)
Grad/post-bacc: US-public university & Harvard Extension school (took individual classes to supplement my UG)
ECs: Military, research, music, student government

Bottom Line: It's been a long, winding journey, but I would not trade it for any other experience. Make this journey YOUR JOURNEY, and be careful not to get distracted by the many pessimistic influences. If you put your heart in it, it can/will surely happen. When the time comes for you to apply, bring your story alive into your AMCAS/secondary applications. All the best to all who are in this journey.

Last edited:
*Iowagirl19

*applying in 2016 after completing DIY post-bacc

*25 y/o, Currently work full time training health coaches while taking classes. Born and raised in Iowa but have been living in Texas for 2 years now. I am leaning more towards DO schools but will apply to some MD.

Good luck to everyone! It's a long journey but the reward will be worth it!

desdes
* Applying in 2015 and taking some post-bacc classes now
* Working as tech and scribe and will be applying DO
Good luck everyone!

BlastedHeath

I'm 26 and a major GPA redemption case. Finishing my bachelors and restarting my prereqs this semester. SF Bay Area based.

Optimistically shooting to apply 2016, but realistically it could be 2017.

26 years old. Currently in the middle of my post bacc. I should be done with classes by this summer, and will be taking the new MCAT this fall.

I will be applying in 2016 to both MD schools and a select number of DO schools.

souldriven

40 year old mother of three. Oldest son is studying engineering and we're currently in a small competition to see who can graduate first. 2 younger kids; 7 and 2. Working on a bs in biology and plan to apply in 17 or 18, depending on how the mcat studying goes. I've been to culinary school, and worked as a realtor for a while. Kept trying to find something else to satisfy me, because I was afraid of taking on all that encompasses medical school. Glad I came to my senses because this is fun (ish). Planning to apply to both MD and DO.

1. BeticTrifecta
2. I will be applying Spring 2016
3. I am a 27 year old, 3rd year student/mother/wife that owns a non-profit organization to assist Type 1 diabetic children. I'm majoring in Pre-Medicine with a minor in Psychology.

I may or may not be slightly addicted to the following pleasures to ensure sanity:
  • Archer, Hart of Dixie, Broad City (TV shows)
  • Books (SciFi, Fiction, Dietary Specific Cookbooks)
  • Starbucks' Pikes Place Roast (has the highest level of caffeine just so you know)
  • Elliptical machines

Love Archer! And I'm also addicted to your same book choices. During the semesters, I have to call a moratorium on all fiction or I'll get nothing done.

I think we did this long ago... long ago....

Anyway, always good to refresh and see new faces.
I entered med school at the tender age of 39 back in 2010 and am now an attending. I went through with a husband, two pre-teen kids, two dogs. My daughter graduated high school the same year I graduated residency. She's now in college thinking of going med school and then trauma-surg. I offered to let her see a psychiatrist. She laughed.

Reactions: 13 users
Love Archer! And I'm also addicted to your same book choices. During the semesters, I have to call a moratorium on all fiction or I'll get nothing done.

That's basically how I am now while trying to study for the mcat. No tv, and no books :( Can't wait till April is here. Lots of Walking Dead to catch up on.

velodork

Applying this year! (August after my July MCAT scores come back)

Father/hubby/non-trad. Very average GPA as a non-science major. A little research (published), lots of volunteer work, lots of paid clinical/hospital experience, lots of life experience/overcoming adversity. Ill be riding on a strong MCAT score (hopefully!) to get my foot into the interview door, everything else to get me an acceptance!

irishrn2doc

Applying in 2016

ER Nurse, 29 years old and wishing I had done this a long time ago but refuse to let my dreams die

Reactions: 6 users
DarthDoc

MS1

Physician Assistant. Not yet 40 y/o. 6 kids and a husband. I'm doing fine in school, but the stress level is pretty high. Though, honestly, as a non-trad, I've had life stress that was this bad and worse. We just started gross lab and when I go to sleep, all I can think about is dissecting.

I looked at these forums constantly last year when I was applying and found them extremely helpful, especially the one about funny things that happened on interviews. If you get stressed, check out this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/worst-interview-answers.359690/ . Had me rolling :laugh:

Embarking on my GPA redemption tomorrow and I'm excited!
I'm following DrMidlife's low GPA guide. I'm only taking Cell Biology (4 credits)
I dropped the ER tech position (full-time) don't want to jeopardize my success
I plan on killing this class .

oh and won't be on sdn for a good while. No distractions as from tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wagonwheel23

2015!

I finished my bachelors in molecular biology in 2010. I spent 2 years in a molecular biology PhD program but left with a masters. I'm currently working at a health & wellness startup in the SF Bay Area. I'm very excited to be applying to medical school this year! I'm nose deep in MCAT books, but it has been really nice to get back into the studying mindset. If I get in the first round, amazing. If not, I'll apply again!

sweetooth

2015!

currently a PA, taking the new mcat this spring and i am TERRIFIED about it. any positive vibes are welcome. good luck to all

-ICUBlue

-2017/2018 (would be 27 by then)

-I'm an ICU nurse at a good-sized teaching hospital. I'm pretty new still and recognize that I have plenty to learn. Aside from the mere fact that I owe it to my employer to put in an adequate amount of time since they made an investment in me to train me, I also want to continue in this role until I feel that I am a good at what I do. I'm planning to start taking my prereqs part time just one class per semester while working and in a year and a half go back full time for two semesters to finish them. I enjoy nursing but I especially enjoy being around medicine and I am craving a medical education, especially since I have become a nurse in this environment. I now see nursing as an integral part of what could potentially make me successful in this endeavor. Excited to see other non traditionals and to see what the future may hold!

27 years old program coordinator for child obesity prevention research at a children's hospital, graduated undergrad in 09' as a Business/Spanish double major. Applied 2015 cycle to 12 schools: 1 acceptance 3 rejections so far

I applied this cycle to 17 schools. I have had two interviews so far with one acceptance. I withdrew from the other school.

I am 29. Married with a one year old son.

I am so pumped to start school in the fall!

yeshuamo

very early in the pre-med track, plan on applying in 2017 if i'm ready

I'm a professional writer with a few accomplishments on the poetry and sci-fi front. right now I get paid to be a biochem nerd for an ad agency. thinking of becoming a surgeon or oncologist.
my back-up plan to being the female atul gawande is becoming a female science popularizer. my back-up plan to being the female neil degrasse tyson is becoming a martian. it would be nice to become an oncology surgeon with a science tv show about cosmic medicine practicing on Mars.
i'm good organizing and daydreaming. making it work.

Applied to 20 schools, been accepted to one of my top choices, waiting on interview results from the other :).

Not sure how AMCAS calculated the stuff, but a cGPA around 3.61 or so, 3.74 (I think) sGPA. 29 MCAT.

28 year old former Army officer. Got out of the Army, took the GI Bill to pay for a DITY pre-med at my state school. Currently working as a scribe/MA in a derm clinic.

Always willing to lend a hand, if I can. Double for vets.

Good luck to everyone here!

Last edited: