Non-Trad roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-eablackwell

-currently an MS4, next step, Vandy for residency :)

-entered med school in 2011 @ age 28 after some serious grade repair (originally <3.0 science and 3.1 overall) and CC night classes while working as a high school science teacher full time. Luckily got in first year applying. Had two kids during med school, currently age 2 yrs & 2 months (born on the same day 2 yrs apart, actually). Just matched my first choice and after a heart attack SOAP for a preliminary position, am happily headed off to residency.

Wow! 2 kids and still made it through Med School! You're definitely a champ for it!!!:) As a female that's one thing that makes me a little nervous. Being a non traditional student and still being able to start a family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rangerdad

I'm a husband and a proud father of a seven years old who just started this journey. I served as a Corpsman and Surgical Tech for 5 yrs in the Navy and 9 yrs in the Army, including six yrs as an Army Ranger.
Currently in my second semester in a CC. Aspiring to complete a BS in Biology and hopefully apply in 2019 or earlier. The best part of this process is that my wife is also attending school full time with me so she understand the hardships of the process.

Good Luck to All!!!

Reactions: 4 users
JCUnontrad

Will be applying this cycle to both MD and DO programs at the age of 34. I completed my undergrad in 2003 with a BA in criminal justice (gpa: 3.0). I enlisted in the Army right out of high school as a combat medic and completed the ROTC program at my undergraduate school and commissioned as an infantry officer in 2003 and have been on multiple combat deployments. Began my post bac in 2013 and I am currently in my last semester finishing up physics 2 and biochem (current post bac gpa: 3.7) and will take the MCAT May 22nd. Long arduous process but actually looking forward to the application cycle (Im sure I will change my tune once it begins), stay focused and keep your goals in mind!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rangerdad

I'm a husband and a proud father of a seven years old who just started this journey. I served as a Corpsman and Surgical Tech for 5 yrs in the Navy and 9 yrs in the Army, including six yrs as an Army Ranger.
Currently in my second semester in a CC. Aspiring to complete a BS in Biology and hopefully apply in 2019 or earlier. The best part of this process is that my wife is also attending school full time with me so she understand the hardships of the process.

Good Luck to All!!!

RLTW!

Reactions: 1 users
JCUnontrad

Will be applying this cycle to both MD and DO programs at the age of 34. I completed my undergrad in 2003 with a BA in criminal justice (gpa: 3.0). I enlisted in the Army right out of high school as a combat medic and completed the ROTC program at my undergraduate school and commissioned as an infantry officer in 2003 and have been on multiple combat deployments. Began my post bac in 2013 and I am currently in my last semester finishing up physics 2 and biochem (current post bac gpa: 3.7) and will take the MCAT May 22nd. Long arduous process but actually looking forward to the application cycle (Im sure I will change my tune once it begins), stay focused and keep your goals in mind!

Study study study study for that MCAT!!! Do well and with your current schoolin' and life experience you will do well. I am in a AFANG (6.5 yrs and counting) medical unit, and that experience with a good MCAT really helped me stand out. Or at least I amagine thats what did it, as I am starting at ATSU-KCOM in the fall!

Good luck and keep on it, I see success in your future!

Study study study study for that MCAT!!! Do well and with your current schoolin' and life experience you will do well. I am in a AFANG (6.5 yrs and counting) medical unit, and that experience with a good MCAT really helped me stand out. Or at least I amagine thats what did it, as I am starting at ATSU-KCOM in the fall!

Good luck and keep on it, I see success in your future!

Thank you for the words of encouragement and congrats on your acceptance!!!

Rontanamo

28. Worked in military intelligence for six years. Just quit my job as an investment banker. (Yikes)

2.6 cGPA - undergrad was fun :)

Embarking on 2-3 years of GPA repair and eventual medical school.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Reactions: 2 users
mbeus, 25

Just accepted to medical school (class of 2019)!

Earned my bachelor's degree in music, before deciding to switch to medicine when I graduated at 21. It has been a long, difficult journey, but it is all worth it! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
The Show Goes On

-4+ years

-Currently in 3rd year nursing, I am 20 years old. I will be working as a nurse for a year or two while adding to my resume for DO applications.

~It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Reactions: 3 users
-PeterShot
-25 years old
-Investment Banker
-Hoping to apply in 2017, assuming that I can get in a one-year post-bacc program
-I have a tiger mom!

Awesome, I'm sure everyone can (or some of you have ;)) make it!

-PeterShot
-25 years old
-Investment Banker
-Hoping to apply in 2017, assuming that I can get in a one-year post-bacc program
-I have a tiger mom!

Also, what is a tiger mom?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a lurker for sometime now. Finally created a profile: catchthecat
-24 years old.
- currently employed part time as a pharmacy technician although I went to school to be an elementary education teacher.
- working towards my 3rd year of prerequisites. Plan was to apply this cycle but being that I haven't taken orgo1/2 or biochemistry yet, I plan to apply 2016 cycle.

Hi all. Posted a new thread all about myself, but figured I'd post here too. Been lurking for a while, finally signed up for an account and decided to post.

So...here we go:

loreleileigh
35 years old
planning/hoping to apply in 2016 to start med school Fall '17
got BFA in '02, then went straight into law school and got JD in '05
Worked in banking compliance for almost eight years until I got laid off
Back in school full time and pursuing a 2nd bachelor's in biomedical sciences
cumulative undergrad GPA (current through last semester): 3.79
science GPA: 3.85
law school GPA: 3.54

That's the main stuff anyway.

24 years old
dental
applying this cycle

Last edited by a moderator:
Never posted in the non-trad thread but lurked around! Applying this cycle..getting nervous already!

25 years old
Music Performance--Violin major in 2012
Tried to make it work for about a year before realizing playing as a career and playing as a "student/hobby" are two completely different thing.
Didn't do too hot in UG because it was way more important to practice and play well than it was to do well in your classes. I did the bare minimum needed to get through my classes (skipped a lot, only studied/crammed the night before exams), but managed to scrape a 3.4. I also intentionally failed a class because I didn't drop it in time and just really didn't want to take the class.
Finished all science pre-reqs and MCAT and am now just waiting for the cycle to begin while brushing up on my Spanish!

Reactions: 4 users
Ditto, @musicalfeet! I'm a total lurker, but trying to be a bit more active.

29 years old
Studied International Studies, Spanish and English Lit as an undergrad
Spent three years working at an educational non-profit
Did DIY post-bacc from 2011-2013
Applied this past cycle and will be matriculating this summer! FINALLY!

Excited to learn more from all of you and share any scraps of knowledge I've rustled up over the past 4 (or 29) years.:playful:

To those who did music -- very cool

Mspeedwagon (Please note, it's not Ms. Speedwagon, which I often see).
Applying this cycle (0 acceptances, 1 interview done (decision pending), 4 more interviews upcoming and 4 rejections thus far). Admitted to my back up masters program, but will not be attending.
I work at J&J and get massive discounts on a lot of baby products. Only problem, I don't have a baby.

haha boy named ms peedwagon

I think we did this long ago... long ago....

Anyway, always good to refresh and see new faces.
I entered med school at the tender age of 39 back in 2010 and am now an attending. I went through with a husband, two pre-teen kids, two dogs. My daughter graduated high school the same year I graduated residency. She's now in college thinking of going med school and then trauma-surg. I offered to let her see a psychiatrist. She laughed.

This is SO AWESOME
-Who you are: Deja_Entendu, RN in an ICU, just beginning my pre-med journey.

-How long till you apply: If all goes according to plan, I will be applying in June 2018.
Brand New Career

Name: cinnamonlady, aka troll
How long till you apply: Will apply summer 2016, or maybe this year
Other things to share: nada

To-Do or Die
Applying in 2016, will be 27 by then!

Hi! I am so happy to have found this community and know I'm not alone as an oldie but a goodie. I am starting a year-long Post-Bacc this May. I plan to apply in 2016 if all goes well with the MCAT. I'm currently an HCA at a reproductive health clinic. I grew up on a reservation without much money and I'm proud of myself for going to a top ten school for undergrad where I got good grades but took no science at all. I've worked in the arts until this past year. I'm married, have a pet tortoise, and am training for a marathon.

Good vibes and best wishes to all the non-trads! I hope we all make it!

BLACKMD

Army vet of 10 years graduating with my second bachelors in 7 days. I have a 5 and 7 year old. I am becoming an officer in the military. I take the MCAT May 22 and it all feels unreal. It's been a struggle. 3.6 cGPA 3.2 sGPA. My only hope is a great MCAT combined with some understanding adcoms. I have the ability. During med school my ex and I decided he will keep the children. Without them and rotc I could be a rockstar. We will see :)

George Michael
27 years old
Applying this cycle

Hi, everyone!
Screen name: BrassOak
24 in about two weeks! I hold one bachelor's and am currently working on my second (double) bachelor's.
By the time I am ready to apply in 2017 (maybe 2016?), I will have degrees in Animal Studies, Biology, and Psychology, with a minor in chemistry.
Good luck to everyone waiting to apply or who have applied and are waiting to hear back, and congratulations to those who have been accepted! I'm glad to have found these forums.

Hi everybody! I've been creeping on here for a while, so I figured I might as well post my stats!

MadHatter013 <----if you didn't notice I'm a huge Alice in Wonderland fan :horns:

I just turned 23. I currently have a BSN and work as an ICU nurse in a level 1 trauma center. If everything works out, I'll be applying in 2016.

Unfortunately, the nurses at my job aren't too fond of other nurses who choose med school, so I'm doing all of this in secret. Hopefully I can find a way to make my schedule work! Good luck to everyone applying! Show them that nontrads can kick ass in med school too!

Also, if there are any current med students/MDs who were former nurses that are up for answering questions, can you PM me?? I'd love to pick your brain!

Hi everybody! I've been creeping on here for a while, so I figured I might as well post my stats!

MadHatter013 <----if you didn't notice I'm a huge Alice in Wonderland fan :horns:

I just turned 23. I currently have a BSN and work as an ICU nurse in a level 1 trauma center. If everything works out, I'll be applying in 2016.

Unfortunately, the nurses at my job aren't too fond of other nurses who choose med school, so I'm doing all of this in secret. Hopefully I can find a way to make my schedule work! Good luck to everyone applying! Show them that nontrads can kick ass in med school too!

Also, if there are any current med students/MDs who were former nurses that are up for answering questions, can you PM me?? I'd love to pick your brain!

Good luck! Also a nurse living a double life ;) Finding a way to make the schedule work sucks but you can do it! I'm applying this cycle

Good luck! Also a nurse living a double life ;) Finding a way to make the schedule work sucks but you can do it! I'm applying this cycle

For your letters of rec, did you get one from your current supervisor? I'm almost too afraid to ask. I don't want them to give me a crappy schedule so that I can't make my classes. Good luck!

I wanna play!

Gfliptastic
Applied off and on since I graduated w/ a B.S. in Biology in 2000, started medical school in 2011. I'm an intern in IM-Primary Care. I was 33 when I matriculated into med school. Having transitioned from a career as a food scientist, I know I made the right decision.

- Med school is insanely tough! If you were a valedictorian or easy 4.0 student like me, be ready to have your ass handed to you in med school - where you will probably aim for the fattest part of the bell curve. And be content being average.

Advice for non-trads in pre-med: Learn Spanish. That will get you further in medical school and probably get you ranked higher in Match for residency. Knowing Spanish means you are truly prepared/dedicated to medicine. It helps YOU immensely in so many ways. So do it!

I have a soft spot for all the non-trads in the struggle, PM me if you need any advice. I've already mentored a few people on SDN, and it makes me happy to do so!

~Good Luck!!

I wanna play!

Gfliptastic
Applied off and on since I graduated w/ a B.S. in Biology in 2000, started medical school in 2011. I'm an intern in IM-Primary Care. I was 33 when I matriculated into med school. Having transitioned from a career as a food scientist, I know I made the right decision.

- Med school is insanely tough! If you were a valedictorian or easy 4.0 student like me, be ready to have your ass handed to you in med school - where you will probably aim for the fattest part of the bell curve. And be content being average.

Advice for non-trads in pre-med: Learn Spanish. That will get you further in medical school and probably get you ranked higher in Match for residency. Knowing Spanish means you are truly prepared/dedicated to medicine. It helps YOU immensely in so many ways. So do it!

I have a soft spot for all the non-trads in the struggle, PM me if you need any advice. I've already mentored a few people on SDN, and it makes me happy to do so!

~Good Luck!!

Wait seriously?
:thinking:
Like just take a year at the university level or genuinely become fluent? The level of slang in that language makes it very difficult to learn in a classroom.

I'm taking German in the Fall, but if you're not joking maybe I'll reconsider it.

Very serious. I was a "commodity" as a medical student during clinical rotations. I was even "consulted" many times when translation services were busy. Basically EVERYONE lights up when you say you speak Spanish. Especially patients. Preceptors luv not having to call translation services. Attendings luv being able to have bedside interpreting during rounds w/o translation services.

I'm not super fluent either. I bet I speak Spanish about as well as an 8 year old boy since I self-taught myself based on my previous career. But the effort is there, the utility is there, and again it proves a genuine interest in providing medical care.

I could tell you that almost every single one of my residency interviews involved one of the interviewers telling me the patient population includes Hispanics, and I would say, "I speak Spanish" and there would be visible delight and a nod of approval. Medicine, from getting into med school to residency to probably even looking for a job as a board-certified physician is one-upmanship. Many people go about their day w/o knowing a lick of it. Congrats. A vast majority of medical professionals don't! But when you DO know something like Spanish, that allows you to trump them.

So unless you plan on going to Germany for a relief effort, or maybe a German med school, think about the medical practicality of learning all that German. I speak French (fluently via high school and college courses), but I think I've used it as a med student 1x, and it was only to entertain some patients in clinic who came from Ivory Coast.

Spanish for a medical career. German for a hobby/recreationally.

For your letters of rec, did you get one from your current supervisor? I'm almost too afraid to ask. I don't want them to give me a crappy schedule so that I can't make my classes. Good luck!

Nope, I acquired letters from professors (needed to do some pre-reqs post bacc) and from volunteering. I'm not planning on letting them know until I'm ready to leave

Very serious. I was a "commodity" as a medical student during clinical rotations. I was even "consulted" many times when translation services were busy. Basically EVERYONE lights up when you say you speak Spanish. Especially patients. Preceptors luv not having to call translation services. Attendings luv being able to have bedside interpreting during rounds w/o translation services.

I'm not super fluent either. I bet I speak Spanish about as well as an 8 year old boy since I self-taught myself based on my previous career. But the effort is there, the utility is there, and again it proves a genuine interest in providing medical care.

I could tell you that almost every single one of my residency interviews involved one of the interviewers telling me the patient population includes Hispanics, and I would say, "I speak Spanish" and there would be visible delight and a nod of approval. Medicine, from getting into med school to residency to probably even looking for a job as a board-certified physician is one-upmanship. Many people go about their day w/o knowing a lick of it. Congrats. A vast majority of medical professionals don't! But when you DO know something like Spanish, that allows you to trump them.

So unless you plan on going to Germany for a relief effort, or maybe a German med school, think about the medical practicality of learning all that German. I speak French (fluently via high school and college courses), but I think I've used it as a med student 1x, and it was only to entertain some patients in clinic who came from Ivory Coast.

Spanish for a medical career. German for a hobby/recreationally.

Well... I'm going to have to think about it for sure now. Thanks for the heads up :)

-I go through Germany seemingly every few years or so, but everyone is 100% fluent in English so it's more of a curiosity,

Fairly straight up:

-Who you are (screenname)

-How long till you apply

-Anything else you wish to share :)

And go:+pad+:welcome:
Ixacex
Two years of prerequisite left while doing ECs and clinical research.
Going to start studying for my MCAT around 6 months before I take it through a class

*Finance major transitioning to pre med. road will be long and hard. Many Debbie downers and negative comments but gotta use that as a motivation!

Long road traveled:

Started taking classes in 1993, graduated Police Academy 1995.
Graduating B.A in Sociology next year. Currently at University full time during the day.
Applying 2016 for 2017
46 years old
Work in hospital: Scribe, Patient Transport, Unit Assistant in Surgery. Volunteer with Veterans group, American Legion. Have LOR's from Physicians, University Professors. Have 30 years professional work experience.

Fun journey.

32 yrs old
Marine Officer, Pilot
B.A. in psychology back in the day. I will have to go back to get all my science pre-reqs and boost my GPA a few points (10 yrs ago when I graduated)
Coming to a crossroads in my career and doing my homework to make sure I want to give up my wings to pursue a career in medicine. I've been doing some shadowing and lots of reading on the forums. Thanks for all the good info guys. Helps more than you know.

ROSC- Return of Spontaneous Circulation
26- will be 27 this summer graduating this Fall wrapping up Biochem also
Possibly taking the MCAT in October to apply this year if not my application will go in April for 2017 Cycle.
8 1/2 year medic
Critical Care
Flight Medic
Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support Instructor
ACLS Instructor
Pals Instructor
BLS instructor

Currently Doing Search and Rescue Flight Medic in the Gulf of Mexico

Degree is in Allied Health
cGPA- 3.37
sGPA- 3.39

Worked full-time nights on the ambulance while obtaining my degree on a High call volume unit

Sounds like I'm in the same situation, age, unit, coworker attitude and all! I am just planning to take chem 1 in fall (when I can finally get in state tuition here) chem 2 in spring, OChem 1 summer 2016, then go back full time for two semesters starting fall 2016. So I guess I'll just try to go PRN when I go back full time.
Also not planning on really telling many ppl either. Told 3 people on the unit- 2 roommates who both were supportive and then another nurse who wasn't so receptive. We will see I guess. Just sucks bc I want to just shadow a doc at the hospital but then the cat would be out of the bag

ROSC- Return of Spontaneous Circulation
26- will be 27 this summer graduating this Fall wrapping up Biochem also
Possibly taking the MCAT in October to apply this year if not my application will go in April for 2017 Cycle.
8 1/2 year medic
Critical Care
Flight Medic
Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support Instructor
ACLS Instructor
Pals Instructor
BLS instructor

Currently Doing Search and Rescue Flight Medic in the Gulf of Mexico

Degree is in Allied Health
cGPA- 3.37
sGPA- 3.39

Worked full-time nights on the ambulance while obtaining my degree on a High call volume unit
Guys Im applying to LSU Shreveport, I am a resident of Louisiana. I have set up a meeting with the Head of admissions for this month i'm kind of nervous, fingers crossed. What do you all think my chances for matriculation are?

Please if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all- words to live by

Sounds like I'm in the same situation, age, unit, coworker attitude and all! I am just planning to take chem 1 in fall (when I can finally get in state tuition here) chem 2 in spring, OChem 1 summer 2016, then go back full time for two semesters starting fall 2016. So I guess I'll just try to go PRN when I go back full time.
Also not planning on really telling many ppl either. Told 3 people on the unit- 2 roommates who both were supportive and then another nurse who wasn't so receptive. We will see I guess. Just sucks bc I want to just shadow a doc at the hospital but then the cat would be out of the bag

It always sucks when people don't want to be supportive of you wanting to further your education. I haven't told anyone on my unit because my unit is the gossip capital of the world lol. I'm signing up for classes starting this summer. How are you setting up your class schedule?

It always sucks when people don't want to be supportive of you wanting to further your education. I haven't told anyone on my unit because my unit is the gossip capital of the world lol. I'm signing up for classes starting this summer. How are you setting up your class schedule?
Class schedule is largely why I have to stay on night shift (sucks bc can't really get to know any attendings). This coming fall I have chem 1 mwf 230-320 w lab on Tuesday 12-3. Working 7p-7:30a 3x per week obviously. Yep gonna be rough... Oh and I'm in a long distance relationship too so once or twice a month I TRY to drive the four hours to see her. Gonna be a juggling act but I'm up for it

Probly still less of a "juggling act" than I'll have later on down this road

I had to work nights for 7 years did my undergrad 5 of those years ....... I can not encompass that experience with any text known to man.

Just keep pushing man thats all I can say, rather than working extra take more hours at school. I wish I had the couple of light semesters I took again. I would be applying a whole year earlier.

Esmeraldajellyb
I will be applying in 2-3 years depending on how long my pre-med program takes.
I'm old, married and I have a kid. I went to school for music and and that degree came in super helpful in this economy. /sarcasm

Joeistoocool
Planning to apply to post-bacc as well as MD/DO schools next year; taking the MCAT in April.
26. began PA school, but realized it wasn't for me, first degree was a BA in biology.
Worked as an army medic (7years), EMT (1yr), patient care asociate (1yr) and ED tech in a trauma center now (2 years).

I'm new to the forum, although I've been creeping for some time now. I'm going to avoid the whole "I've always wanted to be a physician," and get down to brass taxes.
I'm 19 years old (December DOB), and I just finished my first semester at a community college in MI. I took pre-nursing courses and got accepted to a relatively competitive ADN program with a 95 HESI and 3.61 GPA overall. Due to financial constraints, I decided to go RN-BSN-MD; I can make a considerable wage with flexible hours, only working 2-3 days/week (eligible for tuition forgiveness and sign-on bonuses) while earning my BSN through a 1 year (Michigan SU) bridge program.
I'm completely dependent on loans for tuition and working for books, gas, & other essentials. I have letters of recommendation, non-clinical volunteer experiences, and membership to a few highly regarded (for CC) student organizations. However, unfortunately, high school was a bitter period in my life, with much financial hardship and many family issues centered around my nonbiological father's deteriorating mental health. I survived it, though, and demonstrated perseverance, determination, and fortitude. I raised my abysmal high school GPA of 1.69 to 2.22 upon graduating, and I earned a 27 on the ACT.
My plan is to take the prerequisites for MCAT over the summers/post-graduation from my community college. However, I want to be well prepared for medical school. I want to be competitive, I want to be well-prepared, and I don't want to be missing the faculties that premed/bio/chem majors are bringing to the table. I was thinking of taking higher level biology, chemistry, biochemistry courses over the time spent earning my BSN and post graduation.
Is this a good idea? Will it look bad not applying directly? I figure that having clinical skills/training will afford more opportunities for me to earn clinical volunteer experience. What can I do to improve my "student portfolio" overall? Any recommendations? I've read the posts from others that say, "Skip nursing school, it'll be a waste of time, put you at a disadvantage, etc." I've read the ones that ask, "Why don't you just skip nursing and major in biology?"
Biology majors make $14/hour after graduation, and minimum wage beforehand. I need to be financially independent, stable, and competitive after sophomore year, hence the ADN. I was also considering becoming an RN, then going back for a BS in Bio/chem, or earning my BSN and doing the same. I plan on going to school and learning my entire life, but I want to do it intelligently. I don't want to be a starving artist, if you get what I'm saying.
Any help, guidance, or information is much appreciated! TIA!

I'm new to the forum, although I've been creeping for some time now. I'm going to avoid the whole "I've always wanted to be a physician," and get down to brass taxes.
I'm 19 years old (December DOB), and I just finished my first semester at a community college in MI. I took pre-nursing courses and got accepted to a relatively competitive ADN program with a 95 HESI and 3.61 GPA overall. Due to financial constraints, I decided to go RN-BSN-MD; I can make a considerable wage with flexible hours, only working 2-3 days/week (eligible for tuition forgiveness and sign-on bonuses) while earning my BSN through a 1 year (Michigan SU) bridge program.
I'm completely dependent on loans for tuition and working for books, gas, & other essentials. I have letters of recommendation, non-clinical volunteer experiences, and membership to a few highly regarded (for CC) student organizations. However, unfortunately, high school was a bitter period in my life, with much financial hardship and many family issues centered around my nonbiological father's deteriorating mental health. I survived it, though, and demonstrated perseverance, determination, and fortitude. I raised my abysmal high school GPA of 1.69 to 2.22 upon graduating, and I earned a 27 on the ACT.
My plan is to take the prerequisites for MCAT over the summers/post-graduation from my community college. However, I want to be well prepared for medical school. I want to be competitive, I want to be well-prepared, and I don't want to be missing the faculties that premed/bio/chem majors are bringing to the table. I was thinking of taking higher level biology, chemistry, biochemistry courses over the time spent earning my BSN and post graduation.
Is this a good idea? Will it look bad not applying directly? I figure that having clinical skills/training will afford more opportunities for me to earn clinical volunteer experience. What can I do to improve my "student portfolio" overall? Any recommendations? I've read the posts from others that say, "Skip nursing school, it'll be a waste of time, put you at a disadvantage, etc." I've read the ones that ask, "Why don't you just skip nursing and major in biology?"
Biology majors make $14/hour after graduation, and minimum wage beforehand. I need to be financially independent, stable, and competitive after sophomore year, hence the ADN. I was also considering becoming an RN, then going back for a BS in Bio/chem, or earning my BSN and doing the same. I plan on going to school and learning my entire life, but I want to do it intelligently. I don't want to be a starving artist, if you get what I'm saying.
Any help, guidance, or information is much appreciated! TIA!

I'm getting off a brutal 15 hour shift, so I'm too brain dead to reply right now. But can I suggest a thread in Pre-Allo might be a good idea....

However maybe these posters can help you out:
@Goro
@LizzyM
@hushcom
@Mad Jack
@DokterMom
@gyngyn
@SouthernSurgeon
@Zweihander

Alright,I need to sleep for 2/3 hours and head out :sleep:

Last edited:
Interesting, well thought-out plan. I'd suggest you do some additional research before you go too far though. In general, the science courses on the pre-nursing track are not the same (they're far less rigorous) than the ones on the pre-med track. Please see if that's the case at your school, and if so, if the pre-med-track classes can count towards your nursing degree. (Hedge your bets.) There are also many different 'flavors' of nursing. See which credentialing program meshes best with your long-term MD plans. Then evaluate your progress regularly and adjust. Do also consider PA, as it's a much shorter path.

Invest in MSAR Online to see what med schools accept CC credits, and which don't. There's no rhyme nor reason to who does and doesn't.

I think nursing school is a good idea to have a fall back in case you never go to med school.

This whole process is a marathon, not a sprint. There's no age cap on med school admissions. They're not going anywhere.

@DokterMom
Thanks for your input. The challenge of medical school is not what I'm concerned with, however. I'm looking forward to the challenge; I want to know what kind of preparations I should make before applying/taking the MCAT, as a RN. I know nursing isn't for me, and I wholeheartedly wish I was operating under different circumstances, that I could go into biochemistry, biomedical physics, microbiology, or something that really engaged me.

Unfortunately, that is not the case, and I must use nursing school as a stepping stone in the right direction. I can't do a pre-med path because I know I will have to fund my own costs of living, commuting, and learning. Being a RN offers me that ability while maintaining a flexible schedule and working only part of the week, while building my vitae and skills that can be used to volunteer... While volunteering at a soup kitchen is great, altruistic, etc., offering my RN services to community health projects is going to be more beneficial to the common good, right?

I don't need a degree in science, but I want an extensive background in science and medicine. The only difference between majors is a bout 40 credit hours of upper level coursework, with the gen eds being the same, right? What classes should I take that will give me the best background? I guess, I'm asking, what is the coursework throughout medical school, and what undergrad classes would prepare me in place of a BS in biology. I know I need organic chems, but should I take higher level chems or shoot for immunology/virology(heavy and intensive biology courses)?

I'm sorry if this sounds dismissive, but I'm trying to explain my reasoning for the path.

Thanks for clarifying. Let me try to clarify also --

Intro to Biology for nurses is often NOT the same class as Biology for Pre-Meds. Both programs require Biology, but medical schools want the more rigorous pre-med version. Both degree programs require Chemistry - but again, generally NOT the same class. The medical school pre-requisites are widely available on the AMCAS web site and also on each school's site. As @Goro suggested, you'll need to see which schools require which classes (they're 90% the same, but not 100%) and which schools don't accept CC credits for required courses. There are some. Before taking the MCAT, you need to take most of the required pre-med (not pre-nursing) science courses, plus some social science classes (gen'l eds).

What I was trying to say above is that you need to make sure the pre-med science classes can count toward your nursing degree, because the pre-nursing science classes largely will not count toward your pre-med credentials.