Non trad student, 15,000 research hours and 3,000 + clinical hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timsk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, wondering if you have any insights on my school list...am i missing any schools at which I'm competitive?

I'm non traditional, 27 years old, and have worked in research for the past 8 years. I have more than 15,000 hours of research with the focus being on developing technologies to improve the dissemination of evidence-based medicine. Have a few publications and a presentation at a national conference. I have had more than 3,000 clinical hours, some paid, some volunteer. Most of my clinical and volunteer experience has been with marginalized populations (severe addictions, homeless, sex workers, prisoners, HIV/AIDS, psychoses etc) and that is a major theme throughout my essay. I have also had numerous leadership experiences and elected office positions in various student organizations. I formed a criminal justice reform club on campus, was it's president for two years, and ran my own, successful political campaign on campus.

My gpa could be stronger with a 3.69 cgpa and a 3.60 science gpa. These scores are pulled down a bit by some community college i took while i was in high school and at which i performed poorly. Without those scores from high school (i know that my app lists them and they are included in my total gpa scores, but i'm hoping they hold less weight with adcoms) my cgpa would be 3.79 and science gpa would be around 3.70. My MCAT prelims indicate i will have a 515 minimum, and am hoping it is actually at least a 516.

Here is the list of schools i am applying to. I would love any input on if i'm missing any schools that would consider my profile competitive, or that emphasize research and/or serving the underserved.

Reaches- UCLA, Emory, UC-SF

Others- Georgetown, George Washington, Rosalind, Cooper Medical at Rowan, Drexel, Hofstra, Loyola, NY medical college, Rush, Thomas Jefferson/Sidney Kimmel, Temple, Brown, Tulane, University of Minnesota (have family ties to Minnesota), and University of Washington (home state)

Really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and provide their input

Members don't see this ad.

Ditch UCLA and UCSF. They don't take very many OOS applicants. Replace with your favorite schools from this list:

USC
Mayo
Dartmouth
Pitt
Ohio State
Vermont
Miami

You should only apply to Brown if you have some solid liberal arts credentials. They love non-trads, but they love non-trads in interpretative dance more.

Does having a psychology major count? :) I really like the mission and ethos of Brown, so i'll give it a try even if i'm not liberal artsy enough! Thanks for your advice! I was initmidated by Pitt and Mayo's ridiculously high average GPAs but maybe i'll give it a try anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg or less. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some. Forget U MN unless you actually lived there or went to college there. Your mom or in-laws living there doesn't count.

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case
Baylor
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.
U WA

Reactions: 1 user
I would add some top research schools, you have a lot of experience.

Pitt, Case, NW, Sinai, NYU etc. It depends on your MCAT really - if it comes out to be 518+ then you should be aiming high.

Great, thanks for everyone's feedback; looks like i have some more schools to add to my list. I just wish i thought this through more from the outset...Instead i've added a bunch of schools when i submitted for verification that I will not end up applying to. Oh well, it's only $37 a pop...!