Non-Trad Student Where do I stand PRE-DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaHelix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a career changer. BA in Business Econ from a top 50 university. Have work experience, started my own business, (developed two products that sold commercially). Did a formal post pach and within 1 year did bio, general chem, and physics with labs. Took ochem 1 taking 2 now. My overall GPA of all units (not including repeats) is 3.42. My BCP GPA is 4.0. My GPA within the last 44 units completed is 4.0. Have 1 year (100 hours) experience working as a volunteer dental assistant. Have several hundreds more hours volunteering at hospitals, also work as a mentor to youth. Chairperson for our health club on campus. Currently shadow a general dentist at his office. Have about 50 hours thus far there. Will also be getting a "committee letter of recommendation" from my post-bach program.
Negatives:
1I have several C's in my undergraduate course load because it was difficult for me and I hated it. Also have a 2 D's and 1 F (all classes I retook). My 3.42 counts BOTH the low grade and high grade. These grades were about 5-6 years ago.
I took Ochem 1 (and taking ochem 2) at community college. So that disqualifies me from some programs. All of my other pre-reqs are at University Level.
I am taking the DAT In June and will be studying the very best I can while also taking ochem. Are my stats "ok" thus far. I am also looking in to doing a SMP however my career councilor said it was not necessary since my science GPA is strong. I'd be curious to hear some constructive criticism. It would be tough for me to to get in since I would be applying so late.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why not. Get your materials together now and then ram your AADSAS application with all of your materials in June before your DAT score, like as close to opening day as possible. Maybe start working on that personal statement. The BCP looks excellent, you have lots of good stuff going on here. Just top it off with an excellent DAT score, committee LOR, and early application.

Ace the DAT. Look up the DAT forums on this site for great prep materials. You have really outstanding extracurricular activities volunteering and youth mentoring and it will especially look good on your application that you're chairman of your organization. Just do well on the DAT and get great LORs from your profs and dental mentors. Finally, you'll want to apply early and broadly. The ADEA website has a guidebook of schools and the stats of last year's applicants/enrollees so look into getting a copy as well.