Non-trad student wondering if I have good chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toddychurch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am have a history degree with 3.8+ GPA. Unfortunately, I only took the basic science classes to graduate, 1 bio and 1 physics. I am also currently in a Master's program, which has not turned out to be what I thought, but I am doing well (3.9+ GPA). Anyway, I am currently in a chem class and I plan on taking all the prerequisites over the next year or so. I want to send in my application in June.
I have been around dentists all my life, two uncles and two cousins are dentists. I have always been interested in dentistry but I never made it my priority to really look into dental school. After some life changing experiences and a new perspective on life I have decided to pursue dentistry.
Does it hurt me to not be a science major and will my overall GPA help me out if I don't do as well on the DAT or my science GPA isn't as high?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

toddychurch said:
I am have a history degree with 3.8+ GPA. Unfortunately, I only took the basic science classes to graduate, 1 bio and 1 physics. I am also currently in a Master's program, which has not turned out to be what I thought, but I am doing well (3.9+ GPA). Anyway, I am currently in a chem class and I plan on taking all the prerequisites over the next year or so. I want to send in my application in June.
I have been around dentists all my life, two uncles and two cousins are dentists. I have always been interested in dentistry but I never made it my priority to really look into dental school. After some life changing experiences and a new perspective on life I have decided to pursue dentistry.
Does it hurt me to not be a science major and will my overall GPA help me out if I don't do as well on the DAT or my science GPA isn't as high?

Thank you

Welcome Toddychurch!

It seems like you are in great shape. I too was a career changer and went back to do my pre-reqs. I have a BA in Business Admin. You absolutely do not have to be a science major in order to apply to dental school. In my opinion, and I'm sure others will agree, I tell people to pick a major that they know for sure they will get excellent grades in. Most dental schools do not have a preference in what major you are. They only look to see you have their pre-reqs met. So, No...it will not hurt you that you are not a science major. And, Yes...your overall GPA will help you out if your DAT happens to be a little lower. But, do whatever you can to get 4.0's in your science classes. I say this because if you apply with a History degree, you have to prove to admissions that you can succeed in the sciences. After all, you will be bombarded with sciences in dental school.

Good luck with your Dental path! SDN is a great resource, so dive in... Do some searches when you have questions. Most of the time your questions have been asked before! ;) :)

Generallee

the general nailed it, my only other recommendation would be to get some shadowing experience under your belt. there is a difference between having family members who are dentists and having first-hand knowledge of what it actually means to be a dentist.

as long as you do well in your science courses (3.4+) and your DAT (18+), you will have no problem getting into dental school -- just make sure you know why you want to become a dentist first!

best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a situation similar to yours.

I graduated with a business degree in 04' and then decided to pursue dentistry. I took all of my science pre-requisites in 1 year. I also have a lot of experience in a dental clinic. I've already applied but I haven't taken the DAT yet. I am taking it on friday. My BCP gpa is 3.7, overall is 3.4. I am hoping my DAT scores will not be too late for 2006 acceptance. I wish I started studying for the DAT while still taking organic chemistry over the summer but that would have been pretty tough. Any opinions? Thanks.

johnjoseph said:
I am in a situation similar to yours.

I graduated with a business degree in 04' and then decided to pursue dentistry. I took all of my science pre-requisites in 1 year. I also have a lot of experience in a dental clinic. I've already applied but I haven't taken the DAT yet. I am taking it on friday. My BCP gpa is 3.7, overall is 3.4. I am hoping my DAT scores will not be too late for 2006 acceptance. I wish I started studying for the DAT while still taking organic chemistry over the summer but that would have been pretty tough. Any opinions? Thanks.

The only opinions I have is that I hope you applied to the right schools. There are some schools that are already interviewing for waitlists like Case, Indiana, and probably some more. You have stellar stats. I believe as long as you kick some bootay on the DAT, you should have some interviews lined up no problem. When did you submit your app?

toddychurch said:

Thank you

Grade wise you seem to be fine. Get some experience in dentistry. Volunteer at a community dental clinic also shadow in private practice, shadow several dentists. Tap all your connections and then make new ones. You'll never know who you will meet along the way.

If applying in state: show a committment to that state by doing community service (preferably dental in nature). Show you care about what is happening in that state. State schools are subsidized by the citizens of the state so they want people who will then take their low cost education and pay back the people of that state with some kind of service. Really, this is what they are about.

If applying private: Good luck. Make connections somehow. Start now. Don't be just a GPA. Your non traditional status means you've got a story as to how you got here. Tell it.

Generallee said:
The only opinions I have is that I hope you applied to the right schools. There are some schools that are already interviewing for waitlists like Case, Indiana, and probably some more. You have stellar stats. I believe as long as you kick some bootay on the DAT, you should have some interviews lined up no problem. When did you submit your app?

Thanks for the advice...it really helps. I submitted the application in july, before taking the organic chemistry I & II. I applied to 11 schools (NYU, AZ, Case, UMDNJ, SUNY Buf. & Stony, UNC, Nova, Mercy, Temple, and Pitt). I'm currently practicing the DAT with topscore. My last scores were 17's across TS. 17QR 19RC, and 20PA. Hopefully the scores will go up a little.

Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if I would struggle not being a "scince guy" so to speak. I have confidence that I will be able to do well in my science classes, maybe not perfect, but I worry about the DAT. I am not sure when to start studying, especially if most of the topics concern areas of science I haven't studied yet. Would you all suggest that I start studying now along with the classes I take? This is what I was planning to do, especially because I want to take the DAT in May or June.
Thanks for the recommendation about shadowing. There are a few dentists arund here I could shadow. How long do you all suggest I do this?
What about making contact with potential schools? Do most people call the schools to become familiar with the administration and staff?

Thanks again.

toddychurch said:
Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if I would struggle not being a "scince guy" so to speak. I have confidence that I will be able to do well in my science classes, maybe not perfect, but I worry about the DAT. I am not sure when to start studying, especially if most of the topics concern areas of science I haven't studied yet. Would you all suggest that I start studying now along with the classes I take? This is what I was planning to do, especially because I want to take the DAT in May or June.
Thanks for the recommendation about shadowing. There are a few dentists arund here I could shadow. How long do you all suggest I do this?
What about making contact with potential schools? Do most people call the schools to become familiar with the administration and staff?

Thanks again.

I suggest using the Kaplan book as a guide while taking your pre-requisites. I wish I did. I realized after taking Bio I and II that they did not teach me nearly as much as I need to know.

well.. nowadays the # of non-science majors applying to dental school is large. so u're not alone. as long as u take all ur required science course, and do well on ur DAT's u'll be fine. also, try to take more upper division science courses that are recommended.

toddychurch said:

Thanks again.

No, I don't think you will struggle because your not a "science guy". In my opinion, motivation and hardwork are two key ingredients needed to being successful in any major including Science. Everybody has a starting point...and for you, it happened to be after you got a bachelors in History. Science is not tough, you just gotta work hard just like you would do in any other major. On this note, I know many people that were once business majors, english majors, journalism majors who switched to Dentistry and did very well on the DAT. For me its clear...Just Work hard and you'll be fine.

As far as taking the DAT, I personally, would take it in end of July or early August. Because of the amount of material covered on DAT, I need TOTAL attention given to the DAT. I can't be worrying about other classes.

I would apply right when AADSAS releases the application which is May 15. This way, you could study solely for the DAT right after your Spring Semester/Quarter and have about 2-3 months (depending when your school gets out) to study, which is plenty of time. It takes about 2 months for AADSAS to process and send out apps to all your listed schools. By that time, all you would need to do is send in your DAT scores and your good to go.

"There are a few dentists arund here I could shadow. How long do you all suggest I do this?"
Do as much as you possibly can, more the better.

"What about making contact with potential schools? Do most people call the schools to become familiar with the administration and staff?"
This is a very good idea. I would even make an effort to visit the schools and get your face in front of them. Let them know that you will be applying to their school and ask questions. If they can put a face to a name when the time comes for screening...I think it plays in your favor.

Hope this helps...