This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been browsing this forum for a bit. I've looked around trying to find things that specifically fit my thing here (including the group of lawyers trying to go in 2022), but there's so much from years ago- and recent stuff that I feel too different from- that I decided to just start a new one.

I'm a non-trad army officer (getting out 2017) with 3 kids under the age of 5 planning on trying to take the MCAT in Fall 2017/Spring 2018 for applying in Fall 2018 for entry in Fall 2019. I'm also using this post really to get a feel for posting to the forum. So, if there's anyone else seriously planning for school around this time, I'd like to get other hopefuls ideas on planning and preparation. I got a BS in Biology in 2012, so I've got a number of the classes done, though my GPA was 3.68, so not real great there. But I've always been a good test taker and based on past MCAT practice exams, I think I can reasonably get a 39, so I'm kind of counting on that, I suppose.

My big thing with a family (and I'm sure at least on everyone's mind, family or no) is financing this transition. I'm looking at any and all avenues including the military's USUHS (not desired, but last resort). The idea is to use the Post 9/11 at a public university's med school to cover all tuition and to use student loans to cover any living expense necessary on top of whatever job the wife has at that point. Taking all advice on any of this because there's a lot of information out there to make sense of.

Would love to hear from any and all who are planning on attending around this time frame (year before or after, or even further out). Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So, I've been browsing this forum for a bit. I've looked around trying to find things that specifically fit my thing here (including the group of lawyers trying to go in 2022), but there's so much from years ago- and recent stuff that I feel too different from- that I decided to just start a new one.

That made me laugh. I know a few of us are lawyers but that's not at all an exclusive lawyer thread and everyone is welcome. Good luck to you. I for one will be using the GI Bill. I rather incur debt than a service obligation. Not because I dislike the Army but because I want to maximize my career options.

Reactions: 1 user
That made me laugh. I know a few of us are lawyers but that's not at all an exclusive lawyer thread and everyone is welcome. Good luck to you. I for one will be using the GI Bill. I rather incur debt than a service obligation. Not because I dislike the Army but because I want to maximize my career options.

Yeah, it was more for the humor aspect. I only saw a few, but I just happened to see the few posts in a row. I agree with your reasoning there, too. I would consider the Army if doing it through USUHS wasn't going to put me at finally getting to choose my own career path at 20+ years in. I don't even intend to apply to USUHS the first year I apply to schools. That'll only be if I get waitlisted or denied on every other school I apply to the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you've read this already, but USUHS offers save pay for prior service that made more than an O-1 with no years in service. An O-3 with 8 years would be making about $100k a year at USUHS as a student. Pretty substantial amount.

I have looked into it. Of course, I would be a fool not to keep that in my mind with a family and three kids while trying to figure out how to pay for medical school. I just have some schools and a career path in mind that doesn't take me through the Army. I don't hate the Army, but I've talked to a couple of physicians and a couple who came from USUHS, and many of them don't seem to enjoy the climate the Army provides. I honestly would consider it a lot more had I joined the Navy or the Air Force; I hear working for them is great. However, I've heard that if I were to apply as a VTIP or whatever designation it would be, then the Army would want to pull me back in. If you're prior service, apparently you don't get the dream sheet option you get if you're a civilian with regards to branch choice.

One of my ideas was to go to a civilian school I would really want to attend, get board-certified, then hop back in to the Army for four years and use the accession bonus to pay off any loans I accrued. Though, I talked to an old squad leader of mine who's currently a recruiter who said that doesn't get accepted very often. I can see that nowadays with the drawdown, but who know what the state of the world will be like in ten years when I would want to start considering that. I assume it won't be rainbows and unicorns.

Median matriculant cGPA for whites and asians is around 3.75. You're fine - 45th percentile for matriculants.

As to the rest...I can't really comment because I'm just a lowly nerd in the final stages of a postbac.

Best of luck to you.

I created this about a month ago. I realize it's less useful thanks to the new system, but it still gives me a rough idea of how matriculants are doing to give me a rough idea of how I should hope to do. Don't know if it's helpful for anyone else, but I'll put it here anyway.
Acceptance Rates.png

Aggregated from 2013-2015

This would be my application cycle...

I think this is also @esob application cycle as well. He is also former military...

Yeah that's my cycle and yes I'm former Army myself (though I was enlisted, aka I worked for a living, lol j/k). My situation is unlike most non-trads in that by the time I get to med school I'll have enough in my retirement to not need any income thankfully. Honestly I'm not sure how many of the career changers do it. I have 3 children myself and a few years ago there's no way I would have been able to pull it off financially either. If you have any service connected injuries you can apply for voc rehab.

Right,That'll only be if I get waitlisted or denied on every other school I apply to the first time around.
1jY6yOa

Don't forget National Guard/Reserves. They have a pretty sweet deal that rivals HPSP but is civilian all the way. They will do loan repayment (once you are an attending) up to $240,000. They can even give you a stipend every month that is about $2000 per month. You get your normal monthly drill paycheck and are eligible for Tricare Reserve Select at $202 for your whole family, which is cheaper than the school's option. Some units allow you to skip drill most months to focus on school, but that is a local policy and it varies with your commander.

That stipend, however, comes with an extension on how many years you have to drill, which is 2:1 or 1.5:1, depending on if you continue it through residency.
Example: Stipend in 4 year medical school is +8 years drill. Stipend in 4 year residency is +8 years drill. Do both of them together - only 12 years instead of the expected 16.

You won't have the headaches of active duty, but you'll still get plenty of financial support, civilian schools, civilian residencies, and you don't have to deploy during school and residency.

I looked at your original post once more before posting this. You graduated in 2012, but are getting out in 2017. Your GI Bill benefits clock starts after you finish your commissioning ADSO (OCS=3 yrs, ROTC=4 yrs, USMA=5 yrs). Assuming that you are an OCS graduate, you will only get 80% of your GI Bill, less if you are from another commissioning source. You should be eligible for in-state tuition at every public university, but make sure to ask.
BIG CAVEAT: GI Bill benefits are only 36 months. Medical school is in session for longer than that, something like 42 months. The GI Bill is designed to pay for undergraduate education: 9 months a year for 4 years. Even though it is a huge help during medical school, it will run out in the middle of your fourth year, so you won't get BAH or tuition help after that.

I'm sure you've read this already, but USUHS offers save pay for prior service that made more than an O-1 with no years in service. An O-3 with 8 years would be making about $100k a year at USUHS as a student. Pretty substantial amount.
How does that work? This sounds dubious at best. As they say, "Show me the pub". I gotta see that in writing, because I cannot imagine a situation where the DoD is going to pay an O-3 that much money while in training and accruing more service obligation, no matter how much time in service they have. I'm really curious.

Don't forget National Guard/Reserves. They have a pretty sweet deal that rivals HPSP but is civilian all the way. They will do loan repayment (once you are an attending) up to $240,000. They can even give you a stipend every month that is about $2000 per month. You get your normal monthly drill paycheck and are eligible for Tricare Reserve Select at $202 for your whole family, which is cheaper than the school's option. Some units allow you to skip drill most months to focus on school, but that is a local policy and it varies with your commander.

I'm in the process of doing this. I waited until I finished a prior obligation before I could start the application to change my AOC. Even though I'm not an 00E67 yet, my state has been incredibly supportive and has excused me from drill when it falls the weekend before exams. I debated whether or not to switch over or get out because of the paperwork hassles (the NG got a new contractor this year coordinating provider accreditations - they are horrible beyond belief - far worse than the usual onerous Army paperwork).

I have kids, a husband supporting us, school loans, etc. OP, PM me if you want more info. A quick plug - my state school is pro-military, the drill location is about an hour from school, you can live safely close to school with your kids, and the schools are top notch.

But even if you don't want military, the school financial aid office has gone out of their way to add on scholarships to help improve our finances. I had no scholarships the first day of classes, but I went and talked to them during the first week and they had some money to offer me. I really have no complaints about how great everyone's been in this process. (I'm finishing second year now.) Best of luck to you.

I have not officially ( how does that happen anyways?) decided that med school is an option for me- partly due to that I am scared of my future grades and my future test score. If I stay on track and all goes according to plan, I am planning for 9/2019 as well. I crashed and burned real fast my freshman in Undergrad which was 13 years ago. But thank God it was only 1 year. I went to another college/vocational institute for an associates and I think I got a 3.7. But those classes will DEFINITLY not be transferable. I have no idea how to calculate my GPA to get it up to a 3.7 at least. I think I tried an online calculator and it said I needed to take a ridiculous amount of credits (300?) to get it up to 3.7 :(
I quit my job to finish my "Degree." I am taking community college courses. I plan on transferring to public undergrad fall 2017. I am still very new to this since I have no stats to show for it. However, I have been browsing this forum for about 6 months and I finally joined last week. No one knows about this seed in my mind ( I hope to keep it that way) except one person and the transfer counselor at my college.

How do I start making the seed grow.... Start EC's NOW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess I will officially sign on for the class of 2023. Looking forward to the journey.

Plan to take the MCAT next January and then attend a Master's Program in the fall of next year (I guess something like an SMP).

In the interim, going to volunteer and study for MCAT. Continuing to work full time as a chemist until I start the Masters program. Graduated from undergrad in 2007. Currently, 31 years old and married with two kids.

Glad I found a group of non-trads to commiserate with.

Reactions: 3 users
This is where I belong! Graduated a few years back with a BS in bio and a poor cGPA and sGPA. Did my masters in epidemiology (because I was interested -- not as a GPA booster). I'm currently retaking the pre-reqs plus other upper division science courses in my DIY post bacc at my state school. I'm shadowing and volunteering and working and trying to publish my research all while juggling a baby, a huge move and a new house. I plan on taking the mcat in Jan 2018 maybe (still up in the air) to apply in June 2018!

Good luck to all of us potential class of 2023ers! Let's all keep in touch and keep motivating each other!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, I'm most likely hopping on this train too. Been debating trying to apply next year after my DIY postbac is finished, but I think maybe it would be better to wait another year and do a SMP or something. In any case, yay buddies! :)

I'll add myself to this thread. I started back to school 2 years ago at 29. Repairing a horrendous old GPA. Currently finishing year 2 of 4 of undergrad and if the semester ends as I think it will I will be up to 3.38 cGPA and 3.9 sGPA. I will graduate with BS in Biology/Pre-Health in May 2018, take the MCAT in June and apply summer 2018 for hopeful matriculation in the fall of 2019. I have completed about 25 shadowing hours so far, have lots of clinical hours from previous jobs but am hoping to find an opportunity for more current hours before applying. I currently volunteer with our local domestic violence center as a crisis line advocate and will accrue a large number of hours through that. This summer I am participating in an undergraduate research program through the medical school in my city to bolster the research portion of my ECs and will be a TA for undergraduate anatomy lab next fall. Best of luck to everyone on this path! I look forward to sharing experiences and support/advice along the way with you all! :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Hopeful 2023 non-grad here as well! 34 y/o engineer pursing life time goal of medicine after abandoning it the first time around in college because becoming an engineer was SO much easier than figuring out the madness that is the med school application process. I was at a huge UG, advising was pretty intimidating and so much competition even for volunteering so hoped engineering could successfully replace medicine.... well it couldn't!

So it's been a while, How's everyone doing in their progress?

Taking the last of my pre-reqs this fall with MCAT planned in the spring. I have to say, in the Pre-med forum seeing all of the application cycle chatter going on and knowing that we'll be in the next one is pretty exciting!!

I am planning on taking the MCAT in august 2018 to be able to apply for 2019. I will be missing some of the pre-regs that I am planning on finishing during fall 2018. I have masters in finance from 10 years ago and 3 kids who are the biggest supporters I've ever had. From the financial standpoint the loans are all the way to go. They would be easy to pay off after graduation.

I have not officially ( how does that happen anyways?) decided that med school is an option for me- partly due to that I am scared of my future grades and my future test score. If I stay on track and all goes according to plan, I am planning for 9/2019 as well. I crashed and burned real fast my freshman in Undergrad which was 13 years ago. But thank God it was only 1 year. I went to another college/vocational institute for an associates and I think I got a 3.7. But those classes will DEFINITLY not be transferable. I have no idea how to calculate my GPA to get it up to a 3.7 at least. I think I tried an online calculator and it said I needed to take a ridiculous amount of credits (300?) to get it up to 3.7 :(
I quit my job to finish my "Degree." I am taking community college courses. I plan on transferring to public undergrad fall 2017. I am still very new to this since I have no stats to show for it. However, I have been browsing this forum for about 6 months and I finally joined last week. No one knows about this seed in my mind ( I hope to keep it that way) except one person and the transfer counselor at my college.

How do I start making the seed grow.... Start EC's NOW?

Yes.
I think deciding to do it and pushing towards is the best way to get there.
I also started out not really telling anyone. I still skirt around it at my work. The more people that know the easier it is or the more they understand and can be supportive. You will want that support.

Many people on this forum are similar, myself included. I did school a long time ago. I never cared about school. So I did ok, but you don't need to get a 3.7. Although the higher the better.

I have not quit my job, I am too chicken to take that jump. Having quit your job you should for sure start your ECs. It takes years to do them all. You also want to do a little bit here and there and not all at once at the end. It's not about checking the boxes for med school app, it is building an individual to be ready for med school and proving it.

Start doing a community service, start getting some patient exposure hours. Join a research project. Have some leadership experiences. You need all of these things and med schools want lots of these experiences to last for a year.

Best of luck. You can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am planning on taking the MCAT in august 2018 to be able to apply for 2019. I will be missing some of the pre-regs that I am planning on finishing during fall 2018. I have masters in finance from 10 years ago and 3 kids who are the biggest supporters I've ever had. From the financial standpoint the loans are all the way to go. They would be easy to pay off after graduation.

You realize that will put you applying later in the cycle which is typically a detriment? It would be better to take the MCAT spring 2019 and apply for the 2020 matriculation.

Add me in too! I was in a boom and bust industry. After my 3rd layoff in 15 years, with everyone I knew out of work, I wrote my MCAT in 2015. I got a 509 overall even though I hadn't taken any sciences courses yet. I'm in my 2nd year of my second degree, working towards applying in 2018 for a 2019 start date. My first degree had no where near a high enough GPA. Fortunately, my target schools all have a current work or second degree policy. I have 3 kids, and am fortunate to have planned my retirement before I found myself jobless.

This year, I'm focusing on maximizing my GPA while keeping my ongoing extracurriculars steady. I have worked at my kids school teaching kids to read for 4 years now, have been involved in dance for the past 10 years in various capacities, including student, organizer, planner. I also started a support group for diabetic kids in my area.

Given pre-med is a rarity, do any of you know other non-trads in your areas offline? I haven't met any around where I live.

Given pre-med is a rarity, do any of you know other non-trads in your areas offline? I haven't met any around where I live.

I've met a few in my area through the program where I'm taking post-bac classes and a few others trying to form MCAT study groups online. Living in a major metro area helps, because they're pretty rare, as you say, and I've had to seek them out specifically. It's been interesting seeing the variety of levels of strategy and understanding of the process, and it's been helpful being able to grab a beer and commiserate from time to time.

You realize that will put you applying later in the cycle which is typically a detriment? It would be better to take the MCAT spring 2019 and apply for the 2020 matriculation.
I know, but time is essential for me. I am 36 right now. It is not the best choice for me, however it is doable. If not, I can always reapply with much better chances a year later. Thank you for warning. It was my debate for the past month.

I know, but time is essential for me. I am 36 right now. It is not the best choice for me, however it is doable. If not, I can always reapply with much better chances a year later. Thank you for warning. It was my debate for the past month.

Well the adage is worth repeating that it is a marathon, not a sprint. If life necessitates applying this cycle then by all means you should but the general advice is you should only apply when you can put your best application forward. "Strengthening" an application and reapplying may actually make your application less desirable, especially if there is a big gap in multiple MCAT scores. So it really depends on your reasoning for applying this cycle. If it is life's real world issues forcing you to now or never, then it is the best option. If instead it's "well I'm getting older and I'm tired of waiting so I'm going to put something out there that I know is not my best in hopes that I can snag a spot", then that may not be the best option. As an older non-trad myself I understand the frustration and had to make the same decision to apply a year later than I wanted to but I'm glad I did as I'll be applying with straight A's, a very well rounded application with good EC's and an appreciable amount of MCAT prep.

Less than nine months left until AMCAS opens! Hard to believe we'll be into interview season a year from now. How're people doing?

Recent checkpoints:
- Finished genetics course with an A+, wrapping up the first 6 hours of a planned 30 hour DIY post bac on target (coming back from a 3.1/2.9 uGPA)
- MCAT is done! I came out of this feeling wrecked and convinced I might have to retake on account of what felt like killer C/P and B/B sections, but it turned out better than expected.
- Landed volunteer positions with a research group and in a hospital

Current/upcoming challenges:
- Taking a full course load for the first time in 8 years (immunology, hematology, microbiology, and infectious disease)-- first hell week of exams starts October 2nd
- Getting ready to request LoRs from an eclectic group of people and figuring out what aspects to ask each of them to speak to
- Researching SMP programs as a possible option for bolstering chances

Good luck on the final push, everyone!

Less than nine months left until AMCAS opens! Hard to believe we'll be into interview season a year from now. How're people doing?

Recent checkpoints:
- Finished genetics course with an A+, wrapping up the first 6 hours of a planned 30 hour DIY post bac on target (coming back from a 3.1/2.9 uGPA)
- MCAT is done! I came out of this feeling wrecked and convinced I might have to retake on account of what felt like killer C/P and B/B sections, but it turned out better than expected.
- Landed volunteer positions with a research group and in a hospital

Current/upcoming challenges:
- Taking a full course load for the first time in 8 years (immunology, hematology, microbiology, and infectious disease)-- first hell week of exams starts October 2nd
- Getting ready to request LoRs from an eclectic group of people and figuring out what aspects to ask each of them to speak to
- Researching SMP programs as a possible option for bolstering chances

Good luck on the final push, everyone!

It sounds like you are doing great. This time will fly by, so if there's any stuff you need to get done don't wait on it. Good luck.

Shoot, as long as I've been here I was hoping to start this thread. :p

Guess I'll jump in.

Current situation: finishing up a masters in epidemiology
working full time
trying to squeeze in a little shadowing
trying to do some light MCAT review (planning heavier review after masters for April MCAT date)

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing great. This time will fly by, so if there's any stuff you need to get done don't wait on it. Good luck.

Thanks! Congrats on your enviable interview rate-- hope they all come through for you.