Non-trad who never took biochem; Can I study for it on my own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCBarcelona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a non-traditional pre-med student who took a post-bac course that only offered the four basic, pre-med courses? I haven't taken the MCAT yet and at this point, it looks like I am going to have to take the new 2015 MCAT.

My question is: Can I get by with studying biochemistry on my own? I know it's hard to say because we don't have a clear understanding of which biochemistry concepts will be tested. But I just want to know if it can be done. Also, I just can't afford to enroll in a biochemistry course at this time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you study by yourself. Given enough time you can pull it off. I would recommend doing an online course, if at all possible. there are free resources online - check mit open courseware, khan academy, etc. to supplement your studying.

I took Biochem as a post-bacc student before starting my MCAT studying, and I can say that it absolutely helped solidify certain topics. For example, Biochem hammered amino acids, DNA structures, hemoglobin dissociation, etc., which definitely helps during the studying process, but I can't say it's an absolute necessity to take the MCAT. If you're concerned about it, maybe do a little crash course with the basics after looking over a Biochem topic outline. Crunched for time? Don't even worry about it. Now for the 2015 MCAT, there's a different story....

There is a professor by the name of Kevin Ahern who has posted all of his courses on youtube. He also has a free book "biochem free and easy".

This course has been nearly identical to the class I'm in now. Watching these lectures and reading a text book (I'm enjoying Lehninger's book) should be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user