Non trad with mcat finally

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavric1298

Long live snugseal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the final piece for this cycle came in. I know statistically where I fall for my primary school (UW - 3 of 30 students in my matrix were matriculated) but wanted to hear others thoughts

Mcat of 30 from jan 2015 (9PS 11VR 10B)

A very funky gpa. Starts 12 years ago with a term I took while in HS and never turned in a drop form, so all F's. Then I got my AA with a 3.72, now I'm at UW, 3.78 and sitting cum laude. (Most of my classes are curved to a mean of 2.6). That one term 12 years ago really does bring everything down that much unfortunately. Such a small then when I was 17 that has such a huge effect now. Straight A's last 101 credits and all of it is considered undergrad not post bac

Amcas gpa 2.99, sgpa 3.23

I work at a hospital currently (the UW system so I'm applying to my employer I guess technically), was a healthcare consultant for 2 years, a tissue and supply coordinator for 5 for our entire surgical unit (18 rooms on 2 floors), and just got another promotion to "revenue and procurement Financial systems analyst) so I'm an exempt management salaried employee.

Have a couple hundred hours showing/volunteer work in the ER, another couple hundred hours of shadowing across all specialties, with an emphasis of surgery since that's where I was working and could just stay on after my shift and continue cases. I have 3rd world travel and volunteering (something I'm very passionate about - not the prototypical scrubs wearing voluntourism). We trained one of our dogs to be a certified therapy dog and regularly volunteer with him in our infusion center for people on biologics and chemo.

I have a very rich personal story, I was an action sports freelance photographer, have traveled the world getting to write and shoot photos which was such an amazing 5 years of my life so my personal statement is in great shape

I have glowing letters of recommendation from staff physicians I've shadowed and worked with, have one from the CFO of the hospital, one from each of my schools (CC and UW)

I don't have any research and I'm quite honest about how I don't have a screaming passion for it, and working and being in school full time I like to dedicate myself to things that I find important, not just checklist premed items. Is what it is and be honest about it.

Applying to 22 MD this cycle, adding DO next cycle (gpa of 3.80 and sgpa 3.78 DO)

I know UW realllllly stresses trending over straight amcas scores so I'm okay with my prospects there

Anyway, this is post mcat score can't sleep ranting so I think that's it!

Members don't see this ad.

So the final piece for this cycle came in. I know statistically where I fall for my primary school (UW - 3 of 30 students in my matrix were matriculated) but wanted to hear others thoughts

Mcat of 30 from jan 2015 (9PS 11VR 10B)

A very funky gpa. Starts 12 years ago with a term I took while in HS and never turned in a drop form, so all F's. Then I got my AA with a 3.72, now I'm at UW, 3.78 and sitting cum laude. (Most of my classes are curved to a mean of 2.6). That one term 12 years ago really does bring everything down that much unfortunately. Such a small then when I was 17 that has such a huge effect now. Straight A's last 101 credits and all of it is considered undergrad not post bac

Amcas gpa 2.99, sgpa 3.23

I work at a hospital currently (the UW system so I'm applying to my employer I guess technically), was a healthcare consultant for 2 years, a tissue and supply coordinator for 5 for our entire surgical unit (18 rooms on 2 floors), and just got another promotion to "revenue and procurement Financial systems analyst) so I'm an exempt management salaried employee.

Have a couple hundred hours showing/volunteer work in the ER, another couple hundred hours of shadowing across all specialties, with an emphasis of surgery since that's where I was working and could just stay on after my shift and continue cases. I have 3rd world travel and volunteering (something I'm very passionate about - not the prototypical scrubs wearing voluntourism). We trained one of our dogs to be a certified therapy dog and regularly volunteer with him in our infusion center for people on biologics and chemo.

I have a very rich personal story, I was an action sports freelance photographer, have traveled the world getting to write and shoot photos which was such an amazing 5 years of my life so my personal statement is in great shape

I have glowing letters of recommendation from staff physicians I've shadowed and worked with, have one from the CFO of the hospital, one from each of my schools (CC and UW)

I don't have any research and I'm quite honest about how I don't have a screaming passion for it, and working and being in school full time I like to dedicate myself to things that I find important, not just checklist premed items. Is what it is and be honest about it.

Applying to 22 MD this cycle, adding DO next cycle (gpa of 3.80 and sgpa 3.78 DO)

I know UW realllllly stresses trending over straight amcas scores so I'm okay with my prospects there

Anyway, this is post mcat score can't sleep ranting so I think that's it!
What happens to your application GPA when you apply UWashington's Weighted GPA policy?

What is a weighted GPA?
The undergraduate GPA is weighted to give credit to applicants whose records show improvement as they progress through their undergraduate studies. Only the first three years are included in this calculation as most applicants have just begun their senior year. The weighted GPA is calculated on a standard 4-point scale with 4.00 representing an "A" average.
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA

An initial automated screening is done of all applications. The WGPA is added to the mean MCAT score converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal "Combined score" =8. If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out. If your application falls into this category, but you have subsequently taken additional coursework and have a stronger subsequent GPA, you may be eligible for reconsideration. Please contact our office for more information.
from http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/gpa-and-mcat

Goes wayyyyyy up because of the HS designation that amcas uses. It's well over the screen, but I know the head of admissions ( I'm an officer in our premed honor society AED, so I work with them admin department on some thigs) and she was clear if for some reason I didn't make the screen, to call and they manually review every application even if it was auto screened if requested. They talked about this at our premed expo as well, that it's a thing mainly nontrads or post bacs end up doing

Did you ever contact the original school that gave you all the Fs to inquire about a retroactive withdrawal? I realize this is unlikely due to so much time passing, but it never hurts to ask, armed with all your accomplishments in more recent years. Sometimes it happens.

Reactions: 1 user