Non-traditional applicant, sGPA 3.84 cGPA 3.89

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chinup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Chinup,

Your list is top-heavy, IMO. While I think that you have a very competitive application in general, your MCAT score and (relative) lack of research might hold you back at many of the schools on your list. (Don't get me wrong -- 32 is a good score, but it's just on the wrong side of median for many of the schools on your list.) I recommend that you pay for access to the MSAR ($20) to help formulate your list.

A few other random thoughts about what you posted:
- UNC and Arizona are not out-of-state friendly at all. Washington is extremely tough if you're not from WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska).
- Look at adding UC Riverside to your list.
- Brown takes around 40-50% of its students from its BS/MD program.

For other schools to look at -- VCU, MCW, Creighton, NYMC, Albany, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple might be good places to start.

Here is my info:

Biological Sciences, BS and Art History Minor (Class of 2012) at a UC
sGPA: 3.84
cGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 32 (10 P, 10 V, 12 B)
CA resident, White/Filipino, F
Applying this June (wouldn't be able to retake my MCAT in time)

ECs Clinical: 3 yrs with school's Global Medical Brigades (medical brigade to Honduras, Panama, and Ghana) - one year as Treasurer, one year as President. Here is where I got a lot of my administration/shadowing experience
Clinical Care Extender - rotated through different departments in hospital (Med/surge, MIU, Radiology, L&D, ER, and soon to be OR and Woundcare), 400+ hrs/1 yr by the time I finish in August
Volunteered at local Clinic for the underserved and uninsured (125 hrs, 1 yr)

ECs Non-clinical:
Founded a club on campus to run a marrow drive for the Be the Match Registry, President, 1 yr
Campus Tour Guide 1 yr (Volunteered then transitioned to paid employee)
Chemistry organization conducting experiments with 5th graders - 3 yrs as an undergrad

Work:
Tour guide
Upper-div Genetics and intro bio remedial tutor at my undergrad university - 2 yrs (maybe 3 if I stay for next year)

Research:
I feel like this is my weakest area on the app. Did an independent research project while studying abroad in Costa Rica (1 qtr)... Research on foraging behavior of white-nosed coati.

LoRs: very solid. One from a few docs on one of my medical brigades (main writer is faculty at my undergrad for underserved medicine course.. hoping this counts as a non-science faculty letter), One from professor that I tutored for in Genetics, one from professor I had for a stem cell bio health course. Possibly will get 1 more from another doc I know very very well who went with me on a medical brigade

Non-traditional because will have 2 gap years instead of 1... during that time I am working part-time on my campus as a tutor and doing my internship at a hospital about 40 mins away, though that might end before my 2nd gap year starts.

Overall I feel like I have a very strong/diverse application.. but I am nervous about a few weak areas. One thing I want to mention is that I truly did all of the stuff for my own satisfaction rather than a CV filler and it just so happened that some of it looks good too for medical schools. My main concern is my low MCAT score (when compared to my GPA) and minimal research experience (really would like to stay in state!!). I am also having an issue deducing which schools I'd like to apply to. Here is my tentative list so far that I made by using the MSAR and different forums (aiming for around 20 schools so need to cut some out)...

In state:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
Stanford
UCSD
UCI
UCD

OOS:

University of Arizona
University of Colorado
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Boston University
Harvard
University of Michigan
St. Louis University
Dartmouth
Columbia
Mount Sinai
NYU
UNC Chapel Hill
Case Western
Oregon
University of Pittsburgh
Brown
University of Washington

I know there are a lot of reach schools there (in terms of MCAT scores), but I just don't know where I fall.. Ideally I would like a few reach schools with some moderate/competitive schools. I am also really interested in pursuing an MPH while in medical school and I know a few of these schools do not have that option.

Any input in terms of what schools I should really look into would be greatly appreciated! I don't have a lot of resources so any input would be greatly beneficial for me.

Your MCAT is above average, you don't need to retake it.

Add more middle and low tier schools, your list is mostly top 25. Without any significant research, it will be really tough to get an acceptance to top 10 schools without higher stats or some amazing ECs. In addition, schools like Georgetown and BU are a crap-shoot b/c they receive >10K apps a year.

Unless its your dream to practice primary care in Washington state, take off UW.

Look at the MSAR and find private schools w/ MCAT averages under 34. Toledo and Vermont are also OOS friendly state schools.

Hi Chinup,

Your list is top-heavy, IMO. While I think that you have a very competitive application in general, your MCAT score and (relative) lack of research might hold you back at many of the schools on your list. (Don't get me wrong -- 32 is a good score, but it's just on the wrong side of median for many of the schools on your list.) I recommend that you pay for access to the MSAR ($20) to help formulate your list.

A few other random thoughts about what you posted:
- UNC and Arizona are not out-of-state friendly at all. Washington is extremely tough if you're not from WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska).
- Look at adding UC Riverside to your list.
- Brown takes around 40-50% of its students from its BS/MD program.

For other schools to look at -- VCU, MCW, Creighton, NYMC, Albany, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple might be good places to start.

Yup, agree with hizziaips. Generally, you have a well-rounded application. However, the MCAT is a bit low and the lack of research is going to hurt your chances at most of the schools on your list. If you're worried about the "what if?" questions if you don't apply to Harvard and Hopkins, then apply to those reach schools, but add another 20 or so more reasonable schools to your list (see below).

Overall I feel like I have a very strong/diverse application.. but I am nervous about a few weak areas. One thing I want to mention is that I truly did all of the stuff for my own satisfaction rather than a CV filler and it just so happened that some of it looks good too for medical schools. My main concern is my low MCAT score (when compared to my GPA) and minimal research experience (really would like to stay in state!!). I am also having an issue deducing which schools I'd like to apply to. Here is my tentative list so far that I made by using the MSAR and different forums (aiming for around 20 schools so need to cut some out)...

I know there are a lot of reach schools there (in terms of MCAT scores), but I just don't know where I fall.. Ideally I would like a few reach schools with some moderate/competitive schools. I am also really interested in pursuing an MPH while in medical school and I know a few of these schools do not have that option.

Any input in terms of what schools I should really look into would be greatly appreciated! I don't have a lot of resources so any input would be greatly beneficial for me.

In state:
UCLA - high LizzyM/research-focus
UCSF - high LizzyM/research-focus
USC
Stanford - high LizzyM/research-focus
UCSD - high LizzyM/research-focus
UCI
UCD

OOS:

University of Arizona
University of Colorado - not OOS friendly
Georgetown - 11k+ applicants
Rosalind Franklin - 9.5k+ applicants
Northwestern - high LizzyM/research-focus
Johns Hopkins - high LizzyM/research-focus
Boston University - 10k + applicants
Harvard - high LizzyM/research-focus
University of Michigan - high LizzyM/research-focus
St. Louis University
Dartmouth - high LizzyM
Columbia - high LizzyM/research-focus
Mount Sinai - high LizzyM/research-focus
NYU - high LizzyM/research-focus
UNC Chapel Hill - not OOS friendly
Case Western - high LizzyM/research-focus
Oregon - I'd check their OOS requirements but I don't think you meet them
University of Pittsburgh - high LizzyM/research-focus
Brown - too many BS/MD spots
University of Washington - not OOS friendly

I just wanted to point out that your list is not well-distributed to maximize chances. If you want to apply to only the top research schools with the idea that you'll be ok with reapplying more broadly the second time, then do that.

Personally, I'd plan on applying once and to ~30 schools if you want your best shot. Start with your LizzyM score. You have too many schools with averages well above your LizzyM score of 70. Keep all of the California schools on your list if you'd like (especially USC, UCI, and UCD), consider UCR, keep both Arizona campuses (they're trying to be more OOS friendly I believe), consider Tulane (MPH program), Drexel, Creighton, Rush, VCU, Albany, NYMC, Jefferson, Temple, MCW, OUWB, UVM, SUNY Downstate, Cincinnati, Wake Forest, Tufts. Cut down on your reaches, OOS-unfriendly, and Top 5 applied to schools if/when you run out of money. A quick way to cut some of the top tier schools is to look at their MCAT range, if 32 is at their 10th percentile, I'd probably consider those schools too big of a reach. Good luck !