Non-Traditional Applicant Wondering About School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjsjoker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to SDN and am getting worried about my school list (I may just be impatient) and was hoping some people could provide insight into my current list and if I should add DO schools.

Non-Traditional applicant - worked in business before returning to school.
3.55 cGPA
3.8 sGPA
New MCAT ~90percentile CARS, ~90% Phys, ~70% Bio, ~70% Psych (surprised by this one but the others were about what I expected) ~80% overall (which I believe is about a 31 on the old scale)
2 Bachelor Degrees (Business Economics & Psychology)
Did my own Post-Bac program (3.8GPA w/ Chem, Physics, OChem, Biochem, Bio, Anatomy etc.)
100+ hours volunteering in Emergency Department
American Heart Association - Heart Walk Team Captain - Raised $10,000+ fundraising
100+ hours research in chemistry lab
Study Abroad (only basic language skills at this point - a couple of years since I have used)
Shadowing (GI, Internal, Cardio, Orthopedics, Surgery, ER, Derm)
Work Experience (Years of working in Business)
Strong Letters of Recommendation (1 Advisor, 1 Ochem 1/2 professor, 1 physician, 1 SVP of fortune 500 company - who I worked with and oversaw me during my time working)
Strong personal statement describing the change to medicine
Currently in internship with hospital research department (~300 hours so far)
Very into fitness (5k's etc)
Ohio Resident

Complete with all schools during August (most in early August)
Current school list:
Georgetown (Rejected)
USC (Rejected)
Arizona - Phoenix (Rejected)
Wisconsin (Rejected)
Michigan (Reach)
Stanford (Reach)
Cal - Irvine (Reach)
Michigan State
Penn State
MUSC (Have ties to the school)
Virginia
Colorado
Oregon
Wake Forest
Ohio State
Case Western
Toledo
Cincinnati
NEOMED

Curious if I have put together a good (reasonable) school list. Should I add DO schools or am I just being impatient?

Thanks for any comments/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Meant to add I have received an II from West Virginia

School list looks a little top heavy for your app, but isn't bad. Perhaps start adding DO programs in November if things don't pick up by then, as long as you're willing to attend DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Yeah, I came to realize after I applied that it was top heavy. Really hoping to hear back from state schools (OSU is top choice). I'm under the impression that it isn't worth adding any MD school's (too late in the process). But I think I will add DO in November if I don't start hearing back from more schools.

Agree with the 'Dawg. Your best chance will come at Toledo or NECOM but you definitely do have a chance. Unfortunately, you didn't add Wright State which is another school where your odds would have been clearly highest at. You have 5 schools I see you could have a realistic shot at a II at; that's not a ton. I would second the recommendation to add DO's; you will generate tons of interest from them.

The reaches will be thankful for the donations int he form of your app fees.

I think chances will be best at:

Penn State
Wake Forest
Ohio State
Case Western
Toledo
Cincinnati
NEOMED

And yes, you should add some DO schools to the list. Start with CCOM, OH-COM, MUCOM, KYCOM, WVCOM and LECOM.

Curious if I have put together a good (reasonable) school list. Should I add DO schools or am I just being impatient?

Thanks for any comments/advice![/QUOTE]