Non Traditional - Business Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snotspill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 27, and one semester from completing my B.S. in Business Admin. I defaulted into Business because of pressures from my family. I'll graduate with a 3.2 GPA. Unfortunately, I haven't completed the prerequisite courses for MS.

Is it advisable to go for a second B.S. in pre-med and transfer my GE courses or hand-pick the prerequisites required?

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you look at doing a B.S Biology. That is what I am doing. Your GE courses should allow you finish the 60 or so credits it will take to get the second B.S, plus it will help you establish a sGPA and build your cGPA up. I was originally got my B.S finance, but the concepts learned in business do not really carry over to same style of learning Biology/Chemstry concepts. From what I can tell, Science classes seem to focus more on regurgitation of mass amounts of information in addition to be able to apply it critically to various situations.

Thanks for the feedback guys. NavyEnlisted I was thinking the same thing of transferring the GE over and taking the science courses. I don't have much science background at the moment so I was thinking the BIO would be a good way to get experience/prepare for MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case it is going to no difference since you need Chem I, Chem II, O Chem I, O Chem II, and then BioChem I. Since each one is the prereq to the next that is at least five semesters of work.

Thanks for the feedback guys. NavyEnlisted I was thinking the same thing of transferring the GE over and taking the science courses. I don't have much science background at the moment so I was thinking the BIO would be a good way to get experience/prepare for MCAT.

Yeah the non-science background really does not help, but I took a few science (non-prereq) courses online that really helped me grasp some concepts before committing to the prereqs. I feel it has helped me tremendously in the knowledge based area, but only time will tell.

Your best option would be to enroll in a pre-medical post bacc program with a strong linkage agreement. Do some research you'll find plenty of programs nation-wide. Also, be sure to check out the post bacc sub-forums. Good Luck!

Hello,

I'm 27, and one semester from completing my B.S. in Business Admin. I defaulted into Business because of pressures from my family. I'll graduate with a 3.2 GPA. Unfortunately, I haven't completed the prerequisite courses for MS.

Is it advisable to go for a second B.S. in pre-med and transfer my GE courses or hand-pick the prerequisites required?

Thank you for the information. YourMD thank you for that option, it's definitely a good consideration!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say get another bachelors in Biology or Chemistry. A 3.2 in business does not look good at all. You need to prove that you can handle the work load and rigour of medicine. Business has no workload or rigour, fill that hole as fast as you can. And do some shadowing and volunteering as well. Good luck

I graduated with a BA (with honors) in German. I also have an MA in German. Lol. Talk about useless. I had a biology minor in undergrad and also have an AS in biology. This is where I completed all of my pre-reqs except physics, which I've not taken.

Your best option would be to enroll in a pre-medical post bacc program with a strong linkage agreement. Do some research you'll find plenty of programs nation-wide. Also, be sure to check out the post bacc sub-forums. Good Luck!

The traditional post-bacc route is very expensive costing a minimum of $35,000. It would help with sGPA because of the low number of credits (32-36) it may not have a significant impact on the cGPA which needs to be raised. This largely depends on your individual situation and the number of credits that you have completed. I would consider playing around on a GPA calculator to see what impact 36 credits would have with grades that you anticipate earning. I would then consider the number of credits you would earn if you went back to pursue a second BS with the grades you anticipate having to see which would leave you closer to admitted MD program stats.

Reactions: 1 user