Non-Traditional D.O Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afmedic77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been creeping these boards for a little while now and was looking for some honest opinions from individuals who have had similar circumstances to mine.

Here we go:
I attended college straight out of high school for business admin. and after a 2.5 years, managed to accumulate a very subpar GPA of 2.36. I was undisciplined with little to no goals or direction. I have no good excuses for my poor performance. My GPA was a direct result of poor personal choices. At this point, it was evident I needed to get my **** together so I enlisted in the air force as open general and was assigned the specialty "Aerospace Medical Technician" which is a medic. This is where I developed a love for the medical world and truly found my calling. I had the opportunity to support operation Enduring Freedom and care for our wounded soldiers coming home from war in addition to gaining experience is areas such as the ER, ICU, Labor and Delivery and Med Surg. During my enlistment, I decided that I wanted to further pursue a career in health care and looked into the military physician assistant program. I started taking classes part time such as A&P, Microbiology Epidemiology, Stats, Psychology and other courses. This equated to a 3.7 GPA of 36 hrs. After further evaluation, I realized the MD/DO route was what I truly desired and decided to get out of the military after 4 years and pursue my education full time. I will also mention I met my completely supportive wife in the military whom I have a child with.

When I got out, I enrolled in the local state university. They offered as B.S in Public Health which intrigued me because of my interest in the discipline from the Epidemiology class I had taken. I made the Deans list my first semester and am now in my second semester. I realized primary care is what I really wanted to work in and the D.O path would be the best fit where I could contribute the most to the health of the community, perhaps in a rural area. My hope is that one day I can provide health care at the highest level to an under served population. I really feel this is what I was meant to do.

Alright, so that's my story. Now here are the cold, hard stats I have work with:
2.93 cGPA
3.2 sGPA
7,000+ hrs HCE in the military
200 volunteer hrs at the local county health clinic
Before the military: 2.36 GPA. After the military: 3.6 GPA

I still have 54 credit hrs of courses to take that includes a good amount of science courses and more prereqs for D.O school that I can use to boost my GPA. If I continue my academic success, I can bring my GPA to a 3.1-3.2 by the time I apply to D.O schools. Additionally, I firmly believe I can pull out a stellar MCAT score that can help compensate for a 3.1-3.2 GPA. I also have LOR's secured from physicians I worked with in the military.

From a purely objective point of view with no sugar coating, would I have a shot if applied with a minimum of a c3.1 GPA to go along with my other stats? What else could I do besides doing great on the MCAT to increase my chances? I really believe that if given a chance, I can convey my passion and desire to be a D.O in interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been creeping these boards for a little while now and was looking for some honest opinions from individuals who have had similar circumstances to mine.

Here we go:
I attended college straight out of high school for business admin. and after a 2.5 years, managed to accumulate a very subpar GPA of 2.36. I was undisciplined with little to no goals or direction. I have no good excuses for my poor performance. My GPA was a direct result of poor personal choices. At this point, it was evident I needed to get my **** together so I enlisted in the air force as open general and was assigned the specialty "Aerospace Medical Technician" which is a medic. This is where I developed a love for the medical world and truly found my calling. I had the opportunity to support operation Enduring Freedom and care for our wounded soldiers coming home from war in addition to gaining experience is areas such as the ER, ICU, Labor and Delivery and Med Surg. During my enlistment, I decided that I wanted to further pursue a career in health care and looked into the military physician assistant program. I started taking classes part time such as A&P, Microbiology Epidemiology, Stats, Psychology and other courses. This equated to a 3.7 GPA of 36 hrs. After further evaluation, I realized the MD/DO route was what I truly desired and decided to get out of the military after 4 years and pursue my education full time. I will also mention I met my completely supportive wife in the military whom I have a child with.

When I got out, I enrolled in the local state university. They offered as B.S in Public Health which intrigued me because of my interest in the discipline from the Epidemiology class I had taken. I made the Deans list my first semester and am now in my second semester. I realized primary care is what I really wanted to work in and the D.O path would be the best fit where I could contribute the most to the health of the community, perhaps in a rural area. My hope is that one day I can provide health care at the highest level to an under served population. I really feel this is what I was meant to do.

Alright, so that's my story. Now here are the cold, hard stats I have work with:
2.93 cGPA
3.2 sGPA

I still have 54 credit hrs of courses to take that includes a good amount of science courses and more prereqs for D.O school that I can use to boost my GPA. If I continue my academic success, I can bring my GPA to a 3.1-3.2 by the time I apply to D.O schools. Additionally, I firmly believe I can pull out a stellar MCAT score that can help compensate for a 3.1-3.2 GPA. I also have LOR's secured from physicians I worked with in the military.

From a purely objective point of view with no sugar coating, would I have a shot if applied with a minimum of a c3.1 GPA to go along with my other stats? What else could I do besides doing great on the MCAT to increase my chances? I really believe that if given a chance, I can convey my passion and desire to be a D.O in interviews.
You can shadow a D.O. also, to show interest in becoming a D.O. You seem like you are pretty confident in yourself, which is a good thing. You can be granted acceptance to schools MD/DO with a cGPA of a 3.1, but its a mix of a lot of things that get you there. Best of luck to you, keep the same mindset that you have and I am sure you will do great down the road.

I suggest taking your time and mapping out a plan to take all the courses your need, including extra stuff like microbio, genetics, etc. Look at your transcript with courses you got a C or lower that are sciences, and retake those first. If you have time, retake non-sciences that were 3+ units. Fit in some time to volunteer as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Here we go:

2.93 cGPA
3.2 sGPA

rock the mcat with a 30+, and you'll get a few acceptances DO with a small chance at some MD schools (think deep south). get a DO LOR asap as well.

First, many thanks for your service to our country.

You would have very decent chances at many but not all DO schools. A 3.1 is a tad below our minimum requirement. Make sure you shadow a DO, and it sure would help to get LOR from same. Be prepared to articulate the differences between MDs and DOs FROM WHAT YOU'VE OBSERVED FIRSTHAND, not from what you've read on the web.

good luck!

You need to calculate what your MD science GPA is (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) as well as what your DO science GPA is (same, but no math, retakes are replaced).

First, thank you for your service to our country. I was on the "other side" while deployed to Iraq (Remote Duty Medic, civilian), but needless to say your experiences as a Medic in the Air Force will help sell your application to programs.

Fortunately, DO does allow for grade replacement which has helped many of us non-traditional students when it comes to applying. DO is a different approach to medicine, but depending on the discipline you're a part of it may or may not be as noticeable to the untrained eye or those that are your patients and for the most part care more about how you treat them and their family, that you are the best Doctor for them at that moment in time, etc more than signing your name MD versus DO (even the military doesn't care if you would like to become a military Physician in the future).

Good luck with your application and has been mentioned before do your absolute best on the MCAT, and don't give up hope there is a way to get in (especially with having a background that will make you stand out to the ADCOMs).

rock the mcat with a 30+, and you'll get a few acceptances DO with a small chance at some MD schools (think deep south). get a DO LOR asap as well.

I did not plan on applying to MD schools but was curious what you meant by "deep south" lol. I understand geographically speaking, just not the advantage of applying deep south.

First, thank you for your service to our country. I was on the "other side" while deployed to Iraq (Remote Duty Medic, civilian), but needless to say your experiences as a Medic in the Air Force will help sell your application to programs.

Fortunately, DO does allow for grade replacement which has helped many of us non-traditional students when it comes to applying. DO is a different approach to medicine, but depending on the discipline you're a part of it may or may not be as noticeable to the untrained eye or those that are your patients and for the most part care more about how you treat them and their family, that you are the best Doctor for them at that moment in time, etc more than signing your name MD versus DO (even the military doesn't care if you would like to become a military Physician in the future).

Good luck with your application and has been mentioned before do your absolute best on the MCAT, and don't give up hope there is a way to get in (especially with having a background that will make you stand out to the ADCOMs).

And thank you for your service as well. I loved the military when I was in and will serioulsy consider rejoining as an officer after school.

You need to calculate what your MD science GPA is (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) as well as what your DO science GPA is (same, but no math, retakes are replaced).

You bring up a great point. The differences in GPA calculation between MD and DO can certainly hurt or improve one's chances. If applying MD, It would be beneficial for me to start with retaking some math courses. I think the grade calculations of DO tend to help those non-trad students such as myself a little more.

First, many thanks for your service to our country.

You would have very decent chances at many but not all DO schools. A 3.1 is a tad below our minimum requirement. Make sure you shadow a DO, and it sure would help to get LOR from same. Be prepared to articulate the differences between MDs and DOs FROM WHAT YOU'VE OBSERVED FIRSTHAND, not from what you've read on the web.

good luck!

Great advice, Goro. I really aprreciate it. I need to get those observtion hours in asap. I'm looking for a family medicine clinic in the area to get the best perspective considering primary care is what i'm intersted in.

Thank you everyone for the hasty responses! I was not expecting so many helpful people to reply so soon.

As the OP, I am reviving this thread simply to provide an update into my DO journey. The fact is, I never applied to DO school. The reality and sacrifice of medical school is different than one's perception; at least it was in my case. As a husband and father, I was not willing to put my family through the rigors at the end of the day. I still did well in my prereqs and undergrad which enabled me to attend PA school. I recently passed my boards and accepted an offer in a rural family medicine clinic here in Florida. It's funny how I could have been so dedicated and excited to attend med school, yet here I am as a PA. Maybe one day I'll make the decision to revisit that journey, but for now, I am perfectly happy. Thank you everyone for the great advice and regards.

Reactions: 1 users