Non traditional double bachelor degree applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckybadger1117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I am wondering about your thoughts on my chances of applying to DO be MD with my current stats and EC's. What do you think?

-BA in Classical humanities (3 years)
-BS in Biology (2.5 years)
-2 years research, national conference poster presentation and published manuscript as lead author
-3 years fraternity
-2 years volunteer coach
-2 years as CNA
-1 year volunteering in ER department
-backpacked Europe
-MCAT 502 (retaking)
-gpa around 3.5

As well as a few others, but those are the highlights ^.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sgpa? A 3.5 is weak for MD but good for DO. Your MCAT is low but even ok for DO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Sgpa is 3.5, and I do have fairly good explanations for less than stellar grades during two semesters. I had a parent and grandparent pass away in addition to a twin sister in jail and in and out of rehab. Other than that my grades are mostly A's with a great upward trend

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd personally say go DO, not retake the MCAT (unless you've really studied and can almost guarantee you'll do better) , and apply yesterday. But then I am positively biased toward DO. Your stats put you in running for many DO schools so getting out your application early would give you a strong likelihood of getting some interviews. It takes a month sometimes plus to get everything in and verified, so start your application today if you want to be considered early, which for DO is be submitted to schools before mid Julyish.

If you really want to go MD it is possible but 3.5 is really weak so you'd have to score high on the MCAT to have a shot perhaps at a state MD school. Just make sure if you retake the MCAT you don't screw up and do worse!!

Also make sure you have a LOR from a DO (and potentially MD). With your story don't write it up as an excuse for low grades but focus on how those challenges further inspired you toward medicine, how you overcame them, and how you'd apply your life experience to helping others as a physician.

Best of Luck!

I appreciate the advice! I ended up retaking the MCAT and got a 505. Would you still recommend going only the DO route, or do you think I would have an ok chance with some smaller MD schools? I have also been shadowing a DO lately and am going to have him be one of my letter writers, so I think that is a minor improvement to my previous standing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.