Non-traditional: Firefighter/Medic with 3.18 sGPA, 3.35 undergrad, 3.57 post-bacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParamedicFirefighter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How am I looking?

Undergraduate major was mathematics, minor was chemistry. Most post-bacc coursework was for my paramedic certification, along with A&P 1 and 2, and general biology 1 and 2. Those four were all A's, except A&P 2 in which I earned a B. Physics 1 and 2 are this year (anticipating A's in those, have a heavy math background). I plan to retake biochemistry for a better grade in the near future too.

Undergraduate GPA of 3.35 includes my post-bacc work per AMCAS guidelines.

2+ years experience as a volunteer EMT, followed by ~2-3 years (by the time I'm looking to apply) as a paramedic.

Any hope for MD? Should I be looking at PA school instead with my GPA? General feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

That sGPA is going to make things tough for MD. Even with a top MCAT score it's far from a sure thing. There are certainly DO's where your GPA with a solid MCAT can make you competitive. IF you are boning for the MD my best recommendation would be to do more post-bacc work, ace it and get the sGPA in the 3.4 territory or as close to it as possible. You'll need a strong MCAT score as well. 510+ at the minimum, 514+ is ideal to really be competitive. For DO's, anything above 504 is rather solid.

Last edited:
You can still do MD with a great MCAT (518+), but DO is looking more realistic at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sGPA is going to make things tough for MD. Even with a top MCAT score it's far from a sure thing. There are certainly DO's where your GPA with a solid MCAT can make you competitive. IF you are boning for the MD my best recommendation would be to do more post-bacc work, ace it and get the sGPA in the 3.4 territory or as close to it as possible. You'll need a strong MCAT score as well. 510+ at the minimum, 514+ is ideal to really be competitive. For DO's, anything above 504 is rather solid.

I'm including all of my math courses in my sGPA. That includes calc 1 through calc 4, analysis, ODE's, PDE's, complex variables, fluid mechanics, and several others. Raising my sGPA much higher than it is would require dozens of classes.

Is DO typically easier to get into than PA school? I'm not absolutely gunning for MD. It's my preference but largely I'm a realist.

I'm including all of my math courses in my sGPA. That includes calc 1 through calc 4, analysis, ODE's, PDE's, complex variables, fluid mechanics, and several others. Raising my sGPA much higher than it is would require dozens of classes.

Is DO typically easier to get into than PA school? I'm not absolutely gunning for MD. It's my preference but largely I'm a realist.

Well let's see how the MCAT comes out first. If your MCAT score isn't within MD range and where it needs to be Goro's suggestion about new MD schools is a moot point. Check to see if classes like fluid mechanics count for your sGPA; there's a good chance they will but I know some upper level engineering classes don't. Also keep in mind DO schools don't factor in math classes into the sGPA.

Do more research on DO's and PA's separately and make a decision independently off that. It sounds incredibly generic and cliche but it really is not in your best interest to look at is "whichever one is easier is the route I'll go", they are two separate professions entirely.

Well let's see how the MCAT comes out first. If your MCAT score isn't within MD range and where it needs to be Goro's suggestion about new MD schools is a moot point. Check to see if classes like fluid mechanics count for your sGPA; there's a good chance they will but I know some upper level engineering classes don't. Also keep in mind DO schools don't factor in math classes into the sGPA.

Fluid mechanics is in the math dept where I went to school. DO sGPA would be approx 3.34 assuming the best outcomes with physics. So nothing fantastic but better than it currently stands. I have some time before the MCAT but I'll keep all of the above advice in mind. Thanks to all who have replied.