Non traditional Math major seeking advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theriomorphos

Nerdcore
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Not really. Any advantage is from maturity and experience. You are expected to have comparable metrics.
2. Not much
3. Depends on the school, both are important.
4. Not really.
5. Hours, no. Clinical experience and volunteerism are proxies for very important qualities, though. A sufficient amount is important. About 50 to 100 hours of shadowing is average, for example but at least 100 hours of active clinical experience is usual.
6. A weak gpa will really hurt an application. You would do better to choose a single major, do well in it and consider your secondary interest an avocation with a class here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, professor. I don't have a natural aptitude for math but I find it very intriguing and have been doing well so far. Writing always came naturally to me. Here is my plan...As I transfer to a four year school I will major in humanities who doing my premed coursework. Simultaneously, I will continue taking upper division Math classes without declaring it as my major. If the transition is smooth I will graduate with a double major in humanities and pure math.
Do well at what interests you. Take what you need to also do well on the MCAT. Succeed.

Hello Professor!! Would I have to repeat some prerequisites at a four year school which were taken at a community college? I took general chemistry 1 and got a B. General chemistry 2, I got a C for the first time and a B+ for the second time. General physics A's in both 1 and 2 Would it be worth repeating at a four year or just nailing the other premed requirements?

Last edited:
Hello Professor!! Would I have to repeat some prerequisites at a four year school which were taken at a community college? I took general chemistry 1 and got a B. General chemistry 2, I got a C for the first time and a B+ for the second time. General physics A's in both 1 and 2 Would it be worth repeating at a four year or just nailing the other premed requirements?
Get A's on the remaining courses.