Non traditional pre med needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICNU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am new to SDN. As you can probably guess, I am a non-traditional pre medical student. I have been working as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer for 15 years. I have been reading through the forum and have noticed that there is a lot of good information to be obtained. Can someone please assist me with a few of my questions.

1. If I graduate in Dec 2017 with a Biology degree, when should I start the application process for medical school?

2. If there is a gap year between undergraduate school and medical school, what would your advisement be for this particular situation?

3. When should I take the Mcats?

4. Which Mcat home study prep is preferred?

5. I am a fulltime RDMS at a major medical center, will I need to seek volunteer/community services for the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You apply to medical school the summer/fall before you intend to start school. So if it was your intention to start school in 2019, you'd apply in June 2018.

2. Whatever you can to continue strengthening your application. Community service, etc.

3. Generally, no later than April of the year in which you intend to apply. Do not take it before you're scoring in your target range on practice exams.

4. This is purely opinion. Everyone will have a different one.

5. Yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Eccesignum

Thanks for your reply! I understand that great Mcats and GPA's important, what else is considered when reviewing applications? My current GPA is a 3.8 in my sciences and a 4.0 in my non science classes. As a non-traditional student, I am a little concerned that my age may be a focal point for some allopathic schools. Would you focus on osteopathic schools instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Eccesignum

Thanks for your reply! I understand that great Mcats and GPA's important, what else is considered when reviewing applications? My current GPA is a 3.8 in my sciences and a 4.0 in my non science classes. As a non-traditional student, I am a little concerned that my age may be a focal point for some allopathic schools. Would you focus on osteopathic schools instead?

Solely osteopathic? Not at all. Unless you're at an age where your physical stamina is obviously in question, this isn't an issue. And if that were in question in the first place, Osteopathic schools would question you too.

MCAT will partly impact where your focus needs to be, so it's a little premature to make recommendations, but with a lovely GPA like that you probably have potential to shoot high.

Beyond stats, your life experiences are next. You obviously have clinical exposure, so that's not a problem. You'll need to get a solid idea on 'why medicine' and 'why now' as that'll be asked a thousand times out loud and silently during the process. They'll want to know you understand what you're getting into and what brought you there.

This is where your essay and your ECs (life experiences, including jobs, shadowing, volunteering, arts ventures, etc) help shape your story.

Reactions: 1 users
Eccesignum

Once again thanks for the feed back. My age is 46 and there is no physical stamina problems. I guess there is a misconception that non traditionalist attend osteopaths and younger student get accepted more easily to allopathic schools.

You should be a mentor! You offer great information and I can see why your name is Eccesignum, because it is clearly well stated. "Look at the proof" I really appreciate you candor.

Eccesignum

Once again thanks for the feed back. My age is 46 and there is no physical stamina problems. I guess there is a misconception that non traditionalist attend osteopaths and younger student get accepted more easily to allopathic schools.

You should be a mentor! You offer great information and I can see why your name is Eccesignum, because it is clearly well stated. "Look at the proof" I really appreciate you candor.

Age is absolutely something to consider, though more on a "Is it worth it at this point in life?" way than an allopathic v osteopathic way. At a certain point stamina and debt load do become serious things to consider.

Osteopathic does have a reputation for being non-trad friendly (I think much of this had to do with their policy of replacing grades for retake classes, which generally benefits non trads) but allopathic schools are not at all unfriendly provided you present the package they're looking for, which varies school to school.

As for mentoring, haha. I should probably survive medical school first. Kudos on knowing the meaning of my screen name though!

I am a little concerned that my age may be a focal point for some allopathic schools.

I am 51, allo only.

Two friends of mine, MS1 and MS3, are 55 and 53 respectively. Also only allo.

Age is a consideration however, what makes it be a "meh" instead of a "OH GOD NO" is stats. GPA + MCAT. Followed by the rest of the expected ECs.

Ad2b

So age is only a number from what you have shared about your two friends. After speaking with Eccesignum earlier today, I have decided to purchase my MCATS prep books today. My GPA will not be a problem. So I will keep everyone posted.

FYI - it is MCAT (no "s") - I'm not sure about others but it drives me batty to see the "s" - - short drive :lol:

Age is NOT just a number. Don't mistake that. It is a very real consideration for the adcom's BUT the way to minimize the impact of it = great GPA + great MCAT + great EC's.

You're most of the way there :) AND you have great clinical which many younger peers (and possibly the old folks) drool over.

AD2b

Well, hopefully my story shout acceptance when I apply. Sorry for misspelling "MCAT" :). Can you give me a idea of what EC's are considered as great?

Don't forget to shadow (several specialties). Medical schools want to see that you at least have some idea of what goes on in the daily life of a doctor before you sign up.

If you apply both allo and osteo, you will at least need to shadow an osteo or two to get LoRs from them...I believe Osteo schools like to see that (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Dral

Is there a certain number of hours I should ask to shadow our Radiologist? I mentioned Radiology because I directly work with them, however I have contacts in Cardiology, FP, ENT, Gen Surg, Ob/Gyn, etc............

If you apply both allo and osteo, you will at least need to shadow an osteo or two to get LoRs from them...I believe Osteo schools like to see that (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Nope, you're right. One LOR from a DO is sufficient if applying osteo.

Someone more entrenched in the process (I'm 10 years out) can maybe help with this as well...I think about 50 hours or more is generally acceptable for shadowing. The more, the better of course.

It sounds like you won't have too much trouble with that, especially since you have direct access to the necessary contacts.

1. You should submit the application in to AMCAS during June of 2017 to start in July of 2018. Make sure you will be complete right away, which means seeking letters as early as January of 2017 and taking the MCAT before May of 2017.

2. If you will be matriculating July of 2018, unless you will have an admit before you finish your bachelors, continue to shadow, volunteer, do research ( i would do these even with an admit). If you do mean to take a year off, Do something meaningful with it that will address holes in your application package.

3. Whenever you are ready and will only take it once. But don't take it very late in the game, rush and apply late in the cycle.

4. Which ever you can afford and works for you. But I recommend getting your hands on AS MANY PRACTICE EXAMS as possible and doing all of them in real test simulated conditions and thoroughly do a post review to figure out strategies/content holes etc. Practicing the exam as many times as you can is Very critical to success.

5. I would do non-clinical volunteering as long as you know you have a lot of patient contact already. I do not know what your job entails, but if you come into a lot of contact and smell patients all the time, your clinical experience should be vast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
LizzyM suggested somewhere on here 100+ hours, I think Catasylk said something similar re: shadowing.

EC's - honestly? What floats your boat. Do something that you're passionate about. Then when in the interviews it won't be a dry discussion, they'll be able to see you really loved doing whatever it is.

Ad2b
Thanks for your feedback