Non Traditional Solid GPA, OK MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdc118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.4; BCPM: ~3.9
Undergraduate GPA: 3.2; Post Bac GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 29 (PS:10, VR: 9, BS: 10)

Mathematical Economics Major. I have strong EC with ~300 hours as a Introductory Chem TA (for the Univ I did my post bacc), and around ~200 hours of clinical/non-clinical volunteering.

I know that 29 falls within that grey area, where its a gut-shot call to retake. I tested around 30-32 on practice MCATs, so I am still unsure whether to retake it. The last thing I want is another 29 or lower.

Coming from FL, I have my AMCAS and AACOMAS application out there already. I let AMCAS know that I will retake, but I am thinking of changing that part of the application.

Shoot me straight here. I heard that I am competitive for DO, but MD???

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Good for DO. Not sure about MD (likely not good enough). Do not retake MCAT unless consistently scoring around 32-33.

Take DO and go for it. A doctor is a doctor in the US.

Concur on DO chances, but you might still be in the running for FL MD schools, especially the newest ones. Try also all low tier schools like Rosy F and NYMC, and all new MD programs outside of FL, except for PA (very regionally-focussed, I hear)

Good for DO. Not sure about MD (likely not good enough). Do not retake MCAT unless consistently scoring around 32-33.

Take DO and go for it. A doctor is a doctor in the US.