Non-traditional student, cGPA 3.71, wait or apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gixxer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate in spring 2014 (Chemistry major; double minor in Biology and Psychology).

cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.74

I have around 150 hours of shadowing experience, clinical and hospital. Decent volunteering hours. Great LOR's. Also a Phi Beta Kappa member, among other clubs. I will be doing some research as well before graduation. Not medical related, but I also have years of work experience in the business setting. I've led teams of employees and have taken on managerial roles. I still work part time.

I've been studying the whole summer and will be taking the September 11th MCAT. I know it's late! But with work and school during the rest of the year I just did not get time to study. I want to apply to med schools (MD) in Ohio and maybe neighboring places. Am I at a disadvantage this year? Should I apply or wait?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
im not positive how the whole dismissal thing works... but AMCAS should take into account all the classes you've taken, which should take into account your year of 1.4 GPA, which would lower your cGPA. I cant imagine you having a cGPA of 3.93 with a year of 1.4 on your record

im not positive how the whole dismissal thing works... but AMCAS should take into account all the classes you've taken, which should take into account your year of 1.4 GPA, which would lower your cGPA. I cant imagine you having a cGPA of 3.93 with a year of 1.4 on your record

I forgot to mention, but the 1.4 cGPA was from the private college I joined in 2004. I'm graduating next year from my state college so my GPA started afresh in 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention, but the 1.4 cGPA was from the college I joined in 2004. I'm graduating next year from my state college so my GPA started afresh in 2010.

sorry to burst your bubble but you have to report all grades from any collegiate institution youve ever attended

sorry to burst your bubble but you have to report all grades from any collegiate institution youve ever attended

Yes I know, I've already done all that and all the transcripts are with AMCAS. It's all detailed in my application. That's why I am asking what are my chances based on my background.

Yes I know, I've already done all that and all the transcripts are with AMCAS. It's all detailed in my application. That's why I am asking what are my chances based on my background.

forgive me for being skeptical but how exactly did you manage a 3.93 cGPA when you have a year of 1.4 on your record?

i only ask because i believe your cGPA is misrepresented which makes it harder for people to judge where you stand in respect to your application

EDIT: in case you are just telling us your two cGPAs from your separate college stints, to really get good advice from people, you need to calculate your total cGPA from both college experiences. We dont know how many credit hours and what not you have at both places so we cant figure it out

Last edited:

Like jk1006 said, AMCAS is going to calculate your cGPA based on all the classes you have ever taken, so your actual cGPA is going to be much lower.

I'm really sorry for the confusion and my ignorance! I've updated all the GPA's to reflect the AMCAS and my institution values.

Last edited: