Non-traditional student, considering post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cygnus57

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 41 years and considering medical school. I have a bachelor's in astrophysics and math, a master's degree in software engineering, and a PhD in physics. I currently work as a postdoctoral fellow in neurology at a medical school. I write software used to analyze sleep patterns in Alzheimer's patients. I'm on the edge of medicine and would really like to make more of a direct impact on people's lives.

I struggled a bit in my bachelor's degree (20 years ago!) and graduated with a 3.04. I did much better in my master's and PhD programs, though I know those grades don't count. I'm considering a post-bacc program starting this fall since I need to take biology and chemistry and I could get my GPA up to a 3.3. I'm older and wiser now and I think I could do it.

I'm trying to get a volunteer clinical position at the hospital I work at, so that I could get some clinical experience. I have two years of post-bacc ahead of me, so I could potentially get in two years of clinical volunteer experience on top of my research work. I've started studying for the MCAT also and hope I could do well on it.

Do I have any shot at all? Or am I crazy?

Thanks so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

You are never too old to pursue what you want.

Look at the recent matriculating class profile for many programs and you'll see a lot of your age (40-50) in there. Medicals schools are looking for exactly people like you.

I'm confident you will easily excel if you choose to do a post-bacc and retake some pre-reqs.

The only hurdle I think you will have is the hospital volunteering. At the hospital I work at they set age limits on several volunteer positions. For example, you have to be under 21 in order to volunteer in the ED (Sounds ridiculous, I feel like older volunteers might be better for that area but it is what it is). For your age, the only position they would let you do at my hospital is the front desk. Its not exactly clinical related and there might be more effective ways to spend your time.

As a post-doctoral fellow, I am sure there is a load of non-profit organizations that would love your input in an advisor's role. Also there is a ton of potential undergraduate clubs at your post-bacc that would love you as an advisor as well. That might be a better role for you instead of doing something a random 18 year old off the street can do.

Applicants are valued for what they offer to society, not what medicine has to offer them.
If you have a quality that will make you a significant asset to the larger community as a physician and you have validated this in academic excellence and commitment to service, there may well be schools willing to consider you.
You will need significant evidence of ability in rigorous undergraduate courses and a strong MCAT to overcome your bachelor's degree. Grades in Master's and PhD programs will not address this for MD schools although DO schools may view this differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses. I was an idiot as a twenty year old and tried to triple major in astrophysics, math and computer science. I really got in over my head.

I think the unique qualities I could bring to medicine would be my problem solving ability - I've spent years as a physicist and engineer, figuring out solutions to problems. I also bring a lot of empathy. My child has epilepsy, cerebral palsy, and severe hearing loss. He's doing great now but that's with the help of a lot of good doctors. I want the chance to be that good doctor for someone else's family. I'm originally from Montana and have faced the issue of getting health care there, so I'd like to go back and be able to provide care to an area that really needs it.