Non-traditional student, need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amckibbenrdh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a dental hygienist for 6 years (graduated with an associate's degree) and I will be starting school again this fall. I am hoping I can finish my bachelor's in the next 2 years. I am nervous about getting ready for the DAT, balancing time between my family, job, and school, but also because its been 8 years since I've taken some of my science courses!! Any other non-trad students out there have any advise, whats the best way to prepare? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am non traditional..started first science classes last semester. First science classes in 7 years. I wish I had some specific advice for you, but all I can say is be prepared for one hell of a ride lol. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into dental school this year. I started science courses after not having done any since high school. I already have a bachelors and masters in music. I was an uphill battle between working full time and taking two classes every semester but it is possible.

Keep your eyes on your goal. You are going to have to make sacrifices. It isn't like the last few years of your work and family life, that there has been this huge block of unscheduled time that you just weren't filling with school and study. You have to carve that time out, and that is going to mean that you aren't going to have time to do a lot of other things. Maybe the house isn't going to be as tidy, or you won't spend as much time on hobbies or travel or socializing or TV or whatever. Prioritize your time aggressively. Put people you love up near the top of the list alongside your goals and basic survival. Let everything else fall away toward the bottom. Get really comfortable with all the things you just don't have time to do, reminding yourself that this is temporary, and that someday you will have a chance to do them again.

Science... it isn't hard. There is a lot to learn, but happily, it all makes sense once you start to understand it. It all hangs together, and the more you study it, the more other parts of it will come into focus. There are resources that make it easy and fun to learn. I like the Crash Course (Biology / Chemistry / etc) series on youtube. It is little 10 minute episodes covering the basic concepts in each topic. Just don't get distracted and end up watching a lot of unrelated silliness on youtube. But yeah, basically, anything you are having difficulty getting... there is someone who has posted a lecture about it, or some other educational video. When you feel stuck, ask the internet. It will explain everything.

Last bit of advice. Find your resources now. You have family who will help with the kids? Are they old enough to keep themselves fed and not on fire? Figure out now where you can turn when you really need a quiet evening to study and line that up early. Think about how you can make several days worth of meals and freeze them in advance, or about who can be coaxed into cooking a meal for your family. Think about how to keep your spouse happy and feeling appreciated. Know where you can turn when the going gets rough. This is a long run, not a short race, and it only counts if you get where you are going. Think ahead about how to stay on track.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a non-traditional student that sold mortgages for 10 years before I went back to school to become a dentist. I just got accepted to my number one choice. So It's possible. Also, my second year in my wife welcomed our first child...Very hectic times...What I would suggest is to start from the beginning with your sciences. I had some prerequisites already finished from a previous college experience, but I started over. I took the most basic math and chem, not even college level, during the summer before my first semester. They were extremely easy, and I believe I got 100 on every test. What it did for me was to build my confidence. There is nothing like some easy A's to make you feel good about yourself. I always overdid the studying and was upset if I got something wrong on a quiz. I kept that attitude threw out my experience. I also kept the nervous feeling, never lost it. Every new class I felt like this was the time that I'm going to realize it was too much for me. That fear was the best motivator. My nerves are on fire right now as I start dental school in the fall. Exciting times are ahead for us both!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a non-traditional student that sold mortgages for 10 years before I went back to school to become a dentist. I just got accepted to my number one choice. So It's possible. Also, my second year in my wife welcomed our first child...Very hectic times...What I would suggest is to start from the beginning with your sciences. I had some prerequisites already finished from a previous college experience, but I started over. I took the most basic math and chem, not even college level, during the summer before my first semester. They were extremely easy, and I believe I got 100 on every test. What it did for me was to build my confidence. There is nothing like some easy A's to make you feel good about yourself. I always overdid the studying and was upset if I got something wrong on a quiz. I kept that attitude threw out my experience. I also kept the nervous feeling, never lost it. Every new class I felt like this was the time that I'm going to realize it was too much for me. That fear was the best motivator. My nerves are on fire right now as I start dental school in the fall. Exciting times are ahead for us both!!!

Best of luck to you!

Wow congrats and good luck! I remember there were semesters in hygiene school when i was taking 19 credit hours and going through clinicals....We already had two children then and it was so hard! In the end i survived but 6 years out of school I don't know how I'm going to discipline myself to study like that again. Now we have 3 kiddos (ages 13, 10, and 4), good news is while I'm finishing my bachellors we will have family around :) If and when i get into dental school wil mean we will have to move so no family support when that happens.

Wow congrats and good luck! I remember there were semesters in hygiene school when i was taking 19 credit hours and going through clinicals....We already had two children then and it was so hard! In the end i survived but 6 years out of school I don't know how I'm going to discipline myself to study like that again. Now we have 3 kiddos (ages 13, 10, and 4), good news is while I'm finishing my bachellors we will have family around :) If and when i get into dental school wil mean we will have to move so no family support when that happens.

Like I said, I was 10 plus years out of school when I took my first easy course. You do have a little more on your plate than I did with the three kids vs my one. However, don't let it get to you. I did my bachelors with no family around. My daughter is four now and I will be headed to dental school with no family around. None of this bothers or worries me. I will have to make it work and step up. I always found that the harder something is to accomplish is the better I do at it. When I had limited time to study I got super organized for the first time in my life. I became a better student... A focused five-hour study session was always better than my all day goof around's that I use to do. I would say to work on study techniques and organization out of the gate. Also, I use to email professors prior to starting a semester and get the syllabus ahead of time (or convince them to complete it ahead of time). That extra two weeks or so before class starts to get ahead of the game was priceless. All I needed to do was focus on the stuff I couldn't figure out on my own vs the entire material. two weeks on my own usually translated into a week ahead of the class for me. Hope this helps!!

Let me just explain that finishing your B.S. in 2 years may not be realistic. I too had an A.S. in Dental Hygiene. However, practically no classes from hygiene school transfer to a B.S. degree. It took me 4 years to get my B.S. in Bio (could have done it in 3 if I would have gone full time the first year, but I tried to work 2 days a week. After the first year I bit the bullet and went to school 5 days a week and did not work, except during breaks). All of the A.S. classes are Allied Health classes. I had to practically start over. None of the bio classes or chem classes from hygiene school transfer...I had to do the full year of freshman bio, freshman chem,o chem and physics. Then I had to take the gen ed classes that are required for a B.S. History, math, stats, etc. Also, some dental schools require specific classes...biochem, micro, anatomy and physiology (there are different A & P classes required for predents, not what I took as a dental hygiene student). What did transfer was psych 1, english 1 and 2, sociology and communications.

I am posting this to not deter you, but to give you a realistic idea of what is needed to get the required Bachelor's degree to go to Dental School. Like you,I also thought I could get my Bachelor's in 2 years. After I started I realized that wasn't going to happen. But as my signature says...I did what was necessary and will be starting DDS school this fall.

GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!
I have been a hygienist for four years and will start dental school in the fall. My only advice to you is not to look back. Once I started the journey to get in to dental school things just all kept falling in to place, but I never once thought that being a hygienist would be an option for me if dental school didn't work out. It will be tough and studying for the DAT will make hygiene school look like it was so easy but don't give up! Give it your all and it will be so worth it! It's also really fun being back in school again! Good luck with everything, you're not alone. :)

Hello all! What a relief it is to see RDHs in dental school! I have been reading all this information and I am inspired! Thank you. My question is what major reduces the amount of time needed to be able to apply to dental school? I am a RDH with an AAS in DH. I also have my AS in science. I have completed 1 year college level bio, A & P 1 and 2, calculus, 1 class of college level chem, 1 class of college level physics. All classes were taken at a C.C. Based on my own calculations I figured a bachelors in Chem made sense since I need a year orgo and 1 and 1 class of chem. I also need a class of physics. I am currently working full time as a hygienist but I am willing to not work to achieve my life long dream. Any input is appreciated I also was looking at a bachelorso in bio or in DH plus prerequisites? I know it is a lot of information but I would like to make the best educated choice!