(Non-traditional student)What classes would be helpful? Advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HL86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I am a 28 year old who's planning to apply to dental school next year.
I graduated from college almost 6 years ago (Biology major/Pre-med) and I got worried because
some people were saying my prerequisite classes were expired and I have to go back to school and retake
everything so I e-mailed few dental schools to ask if my prerequisite classes were considered expired? and
all of them said that there is no expiration date on the courses I took but they highly recommend
me to go back to school and take some more upper level science courses, such as Histology, Immunology, Human Anatomy and Physiology and so on.

What classes would you recommend as a dental student?
I'm curious and I want to take something that will help me in the school.

Thank you for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Human anatomy
Nutrition
Microbiology
Biochemistry

Reactions: 1 user
Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Cell Biology. I personally love cell biology cause I think it ties all of science up in a nice little bow and makes everything make sense. I learned way more in cell than in biochem so that's why I'm recommending it. Though if you have a good biochem class you can learn a lot too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soon to be D2 checking in... I'd say hands down the following courses did/would have helped the most over the past 8 mo:

Human Gross anatomy
Histology
Biochemistry
Physiology
Immunology

That said, many folks have done well in those courses above without previous exposure at my school. All depends how many hours you're willing to devote to studying and how effective you are during those hours.

Thank you for your suggestions, everyone :)